Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104143 - 08/31/07 12:53 PM submerged cars and passengers
Hookpunch Offline

I am not sure if this has been covered yet, but most of the information on escaping from submerged cars concerns getting yourself out, I am more concerned with getting my two kids in the back seat out, one is a two year old in a safety car seat, the other is a 12 year old.

Any suggestions on what to do other than to try and reach in the back , take off the seat belts and try to bring them into the front seat? Trying to reach them in the back sounds difficult, and pulling the 12 year old up front means it will be crowded up front.

I am thinking teaching the twelve year old how to escape through the window himself might be the best thing to do.

FYI, I carry two rescue hammers in the car, one on the front passenger side and the other on the driver side and a resqme on my keyring.

Thanks in advance.

#104148 - 08/31/07 03:08 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: Hookpunch]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Hmmm. Given that escaping a submerged car is very unlikely to happen,(except in action movies) I'd concentrate on more basic prep -- wearing safety belts, kids in cars seats, carrying a FAK, etc.

one man's opinion,

t

#104158 - 08/31/07 05:18 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: teacher]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: teacher
Hmmm. Given that escaping a submerged car is very unlikely to happen,(except in action movies) I'd concentrate on more basic prep -- wearing safety belts, kids in cars seats, carrying a FAK, etc.

one man's opinion,

t

Yes I would add; drive so that you don't go in the drink. The odds of you being trapped in a submerged vehicle are low. Work on the odds you can affect like driving defensively, not driving into deep water etc. You can't really prepare for something like what happened in St Paul.

#104161 - 08/31/07 05:31 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: billym]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If something did happen, a well-trained 12 year old can do an awfull lot to help the 2 year old.

Being a Scout leader I spend a lot of time with kids that age (both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts) and they have an amazing ability to learn and problem solve. Just make sure you clarify they they can't practice cutting the "real" seat belt or pop out the real window.

Which reminds me. If you do training, make sure you don't use the LifeHammer's blade while practicing. You want to keep that as sharp as possible. Maybe reserve a LifeHammer for practice only - on a seat belt strap for a junk yard.

#104165 - 08/31/07 06:11 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: billym]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: billym
Originally Posted By: teacher

one man's opinion,

t

Yes I would add; drive so that you don't go in the drink. The odds of you being trapped in a submerged vehicle are low. Work on the odds you can affect like driving defensively, not driving into deep water etc. You can't really prepare for something like what happened in St Paul.

That is all true, still though I think I would be plagued with guilt the rest of my life if I didn't prepare and do what I could.

All good advice so far, thanks so much.

Edited by Hookpunch (08/31/07 06:34 PM)

#104184 - 08/31/07 07:51 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: Hookpunch]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I think many of us tend to think in terms of a fully-submerged vehicle.

Here in Phoenix last month, just after a heavy rain, a pickup made a left turn at an intersection (albeit, going too fast for conditions), hydroplaned and turned over in "only" knee-deep water adjacent to the street. Two kids among the occupants.

The brief story is here.

Coincidentally, Channel Five photographers happened to be at the intersection, and caught it on film

Take a minute and watch the "Flood Video: Kids Trapped in Overturned Truck" (on the same page) to witness the near-panic and frustration as citizen-rescuers were initially unable to break out a window (thankfully, they eventually were successful). A simple tool, such as what's been mentioned here, would've been useful.

Remember, this is "only" knee-deep water.

#104196 - 08/31/07 09:43 PM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: xbanker]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
A word about hydroplaning: I've heard that having the cruise control on during rainy/wet conditions is a bad idea. If the wheels hydroplane the cruise control allows the wheels to accelerate suddenly, causing accidents. FWIW

Maybe bright markings on the buckles of the car seat to make it easier to find and take the kid out, or would the car seat float and help bring the kid to the surface?

#104215 - 09/01/07 01:09 AM Re: submerged cars and passengers [Re: frostbite]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I've noticed that several members here kind of disparage the idea of having a ResQMe in a car, because the chance of ending up in deep water isn't likely.

1) It doesn't have to be likely, it just has to happen once.

2) You can be the safest driver in the world, but you can't control the idiot who is six inches off your back bumper, or someone who T-bones you in the rain and shoves you into a flooded area.

3) You wonder if you really need a ResQMe tool. How about having three? Put one on the driver's side, one on the front passenger side, one that can be grabbed in the back seat. That's $30+tax. Big deal. The nearest one can be used by the person who's still alive, by the person beside the unconscious driver, or by the kid in the back seat.

4) And just because you never need it doesn't mean someone you run across won't need it.

Try to expand the tunnel vision and get some. It's awfully cheap insurance. Cheaper than regret.

And a 12-yr-old won't always be 12.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.