Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103261 - 08/22/07 01:18 PM Greeting's Gentlemen........
krell75460 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mesquite Texas
Greeting's Gentlemen,

Please pardon my long absence....it has, let's say, been an "Up & Down" year for me. Some personal issues, and some ever present health issues.
But Alway's looking to Learn! During my absence, I have tried to continously "Upgrade" both my Survival Kit's, and my Car and Home Disaster kit's. But like right now, after just having the entire Meniscus removed from my right knee, It look's like I might be spending a little more time on the PC.
So Gentleme, I sincerely hope you all have been doing Well, and I will ask that you put up with my asking seemingly stupid question's from time to time. My Father alway's said the only Real, "Stupid Question", was the one you were too scared to ask!

So a first question for you.....does anyone know of a person(s), or organization, other than the Red Cross, that can teach FA and CPR, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? On a Medically Retired Vet's pension, there's just no way I can afford both class's, for both the wife and I, from the Red Cross!

My Thank's,

Harold "Krell" Rosenbaum

#103268 - 08/22/07 01:59 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: krell75460]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome back, sorry to hear about the knee. And sorry that I can not help you, other than a couple hour layover at the DFW airport in '65 I have never been there. Good luck, and hope you never have to use the knowledge you will gain in your classes (CPR is a lot of work, and not fun at all)...

#103270 - 08/22/07 02:16 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: krell75460]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I'm not suggesting it's a substitute for hands-on, "live" instruction, but there are free on-line courses that might help you, such as: http://cprandfirstaid.net/?p=pages&id=0

Edited by Frank2135 (08/22/07 02:17 PM)

#103278 - 08/22/07 03:30 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: Frank2135]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do any of the local schools give adult education classes in the evenings? I had a CPR course as part of a program in high school and I know the teachers then would run the same class in the evenings as part of the adult program. You might have to take the whole auto shop course or something else to get the safety portion in the beginning, but that might be somehting to do during retirement. Since they were put on by the public school system they are free.
Now that I'm thinking of it we didn't have the CPR instruction in any of the auto shop or electronics classes, we all went down to the nursing/health care room and were taught there. So see if the local schools teach nursing or health care assitant classes in the evenings, you will probably get a lot more than just CPR.

#103287 - 08/22/07 05:31 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: krell75460]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Harold,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like you are going through it with the right attitude though!

As for the CPR class, have you checked with local church or their scout groups? They sometimes offer CPR classes.

You might also just try walking into the local fire/rescue/emt station and ask for training. I work with the local (Tomball, TX) emt group as a first responder with my company. They are a great group of people and are always trying to get "civilians" to learn more first aid. I don't know if they could give you actual certification, but they could teach you the proper procedures. Some cookies or a couple of pizzas might grease the offer. What have you got to lose by trying?

-Blast, who has often relied on the kindness of strangers with bandages.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#103288 - 08/22/07 05:45 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: krell75460]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Two other thoughts:
1. Volunteer with Texas Equusearch, they might fix you up with a CPR class in return for volunteer work.

2. Contact the ETS member "Blacktop". I think he lives in Mesquite, TX and is part of some Red Cross emergency rapid response communications team. He might have some ideas.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#103291 - 08/22/07 06:41 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: Blast]
Spiritwalker Offline

You might want to try requesting that the Red Cross waive the fee for one or both of you. It can't hurt to ask.

Alternately, you might check with your closest VA hospital or the VA counselor for your county. As much as I've dreaded visits to the VA, I know they have periodic courses for employees and volunteers that you and your wife may be able to join.

#103310 - 08/22/07 09:20 PM Re: Greeting's Gentlemen........ [Re: Spiritwalker]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Herold:

I recived my first aid and CPR thru the American Heart Ass. you might try them. At that time I did not have to pay for the classes, but a lot of time has gone by sence I recived my classes.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.