Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#101253 - 08/01/07 01:47 AM Source of medical literature
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
As a medic, I am routinely asked for medical information on a regular basis. I have referred some of my coworkers to this source but have had a brain fart and realized that I don't think I've referred ETS people to it....sorry....

Several of the hospitals that I frequent have 'medical libraries'. Not only are they a great source of definitive medical information (just ask the medical librarian for somed help if you have trouble finding stuff---they have access to some things you never knew exsisted).....but these hospitals also get rid of 'old' stuff too!

For a specific example....They will sell last years PDR for $15. For those who do not know....it is the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) It has EVERYTHING you wanted to know about the medicines you take.

How it is supplied....Dosages....effectiveness... It normally costs anywhere from $95-135! Idf you don't mind one that is 2-3 years old then I've seen them for $5. They will also have 'summer specials' of a 'BUCK a BOOK'. I've gotten a 2 year old PDR for $1!!!! Granted some may say something like...how good can a 3 year old PDR be? Well for the most recent 'cutting edge' medicines.....you wouldn't have them. But for the ususal drugs we have and use day to day..it is a great reference. They also have books on nursing care (think longer term care than just first aid) as well as many other types.

Now granted there are books on subjects that (not only do I not have interest in....but hope I never see the subject of it....like pediatric urological cancers) and others like it....they are so far over my head that I can't even understand the synopsis let alone the text.

Hope this helps.

#101254 - 08/01/07 01:54 AM Re: Source of medical literature [Re: CJK]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on getting to know your medical librarian if you in any way related to the medical field. I call my scrounger because I can get a computer chip that hasn't been made since the late 80s in a week- these people are gods, they can get articles published in a foriegn journal about some obscure ailment 30 years ago, and can do it in an hour or two. They are half of the intelligence side of medicine.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101266 - 08/01/07 03:27 AM Re: Source of medical literature [Re: CJK]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Funny you should write about this subject, I found my PDR in a pile of garbage just outside a Dr's office that was moving. I walked by this place twice a day and the PDR was about 2 years old when I saw and grabbed it. It pays to pay attention to the garbage that's been put out on the street.

I also try to make the Library Book Sales when they are getting rid of their old books and pubs. That's where I picked up my "National Guardsman Manual", among others.

Having some old books on the shelves has another side effect: friends see the old books that you have and then they give you their old books because they know that you will take care of them. That's how I came into possession of "Fortunes in Formulas" (3rd ed/1935???) with it's foreword by Thomas Alvin Edison. To a proper survivalist, with a pessimistic view of humanity, this book is PRICELESS!!!

#101281 - 08/01/07 11:00 AM Re: Source of medical literature [Re: CJK]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
There's a lot of medicine-info on this site:

http://www.webmd.com/

#101290 - 08/01/07 06:23 PM Re: Source of medical literature [Re: JIM]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: JIM
There's a lot of medicine-info on this site:

http://www.webmd.com/

I agree but googling turns up a lot of good results too.

Hell, if you type in what a pill says on google you can get results!!

#101317 - 08/02/07 01:29 AM Re: Source of medical literature [Re: Todd W]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yes, but there is advantage to a PDR over Mr Google- the PDR just works, no additional infrastructure needed other than light to read by. Google requires a computer, and power, and an internet connection....

Also, if I know which book something is in, so long as I haven't misplaced the book, my shelves are faster than turning a computer on.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 239 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.