Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100914 - 07/27/07 03:23 AM Aquatainers with threaded vents again?
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
For the last year or so my local Wal-Mart has carried Aquatainers with the push-in plug vent. Today I went in and found there were 3 of them on the shelf with the more durable screw on threaded cap vent. I know they use to come with this screw on vent and then they changed to that crappy push plug. Does anyone know if they have changed back for good or did I just get lucky when I bought all three of them tonight?

Edited by gatormba (07/27/07 03:24 AM)

#100934 - 07/27/07 12:56 PM Re: Aquatainers with threaded vents again? [Re: gatormba]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Hey gatormba......I haven't seen any with the screw vent in my area but will keep looking. The crappy push vent plug is the only reason I haven't bought more of them in the last couple of years.

UPDATE:Went to my local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had one of the Aqua-tainers with the screw on vent. I didn't buy it this time but if they have any on the next visit I will probably purchase a few.

smitty

Edited by smitty (07/28/07 03:37 PM)

#101100 - 07/30/07 12:32 AM Re: Aquatainers with threaded vents again? [Re: smitty]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I bought two of the Aqua Tainers with the screw on vent at my local WalMart yesterday. They had 5 of them with the screw on vent. I may purchase another next week if they still have them.

As I am planning on putting tap water in them for emergency/camping use should i treat the water with bleach or just put water in them and store them. I know you should use 10 - 16 drops of bleach per gallon but what is the exact measurement of a drop. Should i use an old ear dropper to measure it with? Is there a formula so that i can just put in say a tablespoon full in the Aqua Tainers?

thanks

Kirby

#101101 - 07/30/07 01:05 AM Re: Aquatainers with threaded vents again? [Re: REDDOG79]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: REDDOG79
Is there a formula so that i can just put in say a tablespoon full in the Aqua Tainers?

As per the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
Quote:
Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water

USE ONLY WATER THAT HAS BEEN PROPERLY DISINFECTED FOR DRINKING, COOKING, MAKING ANY PREPARED DRINK, OR FOR BRUSHING TEETH

1. Use bottled water that has not been exposed to flood waters if it is available.

2. If you don't have bottled water, you should boil water to make it safe. Boiling water will kill most types of disease-causing organisms that may be present. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for boiling. Boil the water for one minute, let it cool, and store it in clean containers with covers.

3. If you can't boil water, you can disinfect it using household bleach. Bleach will kill some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms that may be in the water. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for disinfection. Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water, stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers.

4. If you have a well that has been flooded, the water should be tested and disinfected after flood waters recede. If you suspect that your well may be contaminated, contact your local or state health department or agriculture extension agent for specific advice.

Additionally, some sources (i.e. American Red Cross and Clorox Company itself) recommend using a double dose, 1/4 teaspoon or 16 drops per gallon, for cloudy/crappy water.

There are other recommendations, as well, such as storing water in dark (non-clear) containers, and making sure the containers are sterile before you put the water in it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.