Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100125 - 07/18/07 06:20 PM New survival item that every serious person needs.
Dragonscript Offline

Link

List of things it can do:
1: USB cell phone charger, hand cranked
2: LED flashlight
3: AM/FM radio
4: Hazard siren
5: Compass

It is lightweight, 126 grams, and small enough to fit in any BOB. I think i'll get one for the wife when they hit the market.

#100126 - 07/18/07 06:55 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person needs. [Re: Dragonscript]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Cammo - yes.
Special Forces Black - yes.
Rescue orange - may be.
Little girl pink?
No.

I have spoken.

#100127 - 07/18/07 06:58 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
And these are the kinds of items that prompted the invention of Krylon Fusion spraypaint.

#100132 - 07/18/07 08:24 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: JCWohlschlag]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Hey -- the kids will carry it...

Edited by teacher (07/18/07 08:24 PM)

#100139 - 07/18/07 08:59 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: teacher]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Girls maybe. Even little boys hate this color. grin
IMHO, pink = Warning! It's a toy! By the way no mention of this gadget on the manufacturer site. Probably, all of the above is not true in Japan (different culture). Wait for a yellow color model on the USA market.

Edited by Alex (07/18/07 09:02 PM)

#100152 - 07/19/07 12:27 AM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: Alex]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
As sick and twisted as having a pink lozenge in your pocket is, the thing does sound pretty useful. I won't be getting one anytime soon, still, pretty useful.

#100162 - 07/19/07 02:22 AM Re: New survival item that every serious person needs. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Echo that. Drunk tank pink- sure, it's calm and soothing. For about 10 hours, then people start getting crazy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100168 - 07/19/07 02:40 AM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: AROTC]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'd rather invest in several things than in a single multifunctional one of this kind. Here is why (IMHO).

1. In many cases the manufacturer have to sacrifice quality and effectiveness of each component in some or another way just to fit them all together and cut on cost of a single item. (e.g. simplistic radio, less space to fit a good wind-up generator, and/or better battery, lighter and thinner plastics, weaker speaker, also by removing some useful functions, or by adding some imperfections like that 9V battery port protruding from the side, e.t.c).

2. The manufacturer have their own view of purpose (and aesthetics too smile ) so it's hard to find exactly what you want in a multifunction device. Something will be wrong - for sure smile

3. With the single function things you can always chose them so they works at the same voltage, or/and same batteries. So their power supplies are interchangeable. Or/And a single one will power them all (like a 12V car battery, or widely available 5V USB chargers).

4. If that thing fell and broke, got wet, or lost, - with a multifunction one you've lost everything. Otherwise you've lost just a single function...

5. Again you can chose the devices which will perfectly fit your BOB bag compartments, cargo vest, jacket pockets, or whatever other storage/carry system you have. And will be easily reconfigurable to fit another one as necessary (personally, I prefer everything flat and thin).

6. It's easier to upgrade. Not by an entire multifunction device, but by the function which needs to be improved in some way to suit any emerging needs.

#100191 - 07/19/07 01:27 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: Alex]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think ideally though it would be best to have both one multi function and several discreet items with redundant features.

I've been toting around a pair of these hand cranked handheld 3 LED flashlight/AM-FM receiver/multi charge port contraptions for a few years now, and I think they are an excellent ETS item for the money. I also have tend to keep a separate flashlight with me on my keychain, my mp3 player also does AM-FM, and I have two wall chargers for my cell phone; one stays in my shoulder bag, the other plugged into my wall at home.

I guess it is up to the consumer to determine the usefulness/reliability of such devices, but the ones I have I use regularly and have yet to fail. Yes, each function is a bit of a compromise, but then again the flashlight in my pocket ain't the brightest thing I could tote with me either. Either one will get the job done so long as I don't have unrealistic expectations of them.

What's nice is that I have a choice. I can choose to fully equip with all the items I think I might need and in sufficient and sensible redundancy that I am not overly encumbered yet effectively prepared, or I can pare the componentry down to suit a particular scenario, the least being having just the multi function items with me. The light on my keychain isn't much of a burden, but sometimes I can't have my keychain with me, so my point is multi-function items have their place and keep me flexibly adaptive. Of course I have to keep a perspective about implementation, which is why there is no one simple answer for gearing up these days.

I'd rather invest in as much as I can afford, and if I had to limit myself, the first thing I would likely grab would be something that does more than one thing, especially if it is economically competitive. Caveat Emptor always prevails. A junk flashlight is junk whether it is just a flashlight or supposed to be something more.

For the record, knowing that there are similar functioning items out there, I would never buy this pink thing. It just sends the wrong message.

#100210 - 07/19/07 05:56 PM Re: New survival item that every serious person ne [Re: benjammin]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
That thing would be perfect for my niece, or any other little girl, who loves Hello Kitty. If they marketed it with any of the male Sanrio characters, little boys would like it, too.

I think this would be a decent starter kit for a young kid who doesn't yet fully understand the need for preparedness, is too young for sharps or Scouts, and will also placate the parents who would think you were crazy for giving their child a SAK. My own interest in preparedness started as a little girl when I carried around a flashlight because I thought it was pretty.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.