Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91128 - 04/14/07 07:52 PM Gear practice -- the $25 daypack
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Here's your exercise : A friend is going hiking with you next Saturday. Likely 3-4 hours at a national park. However, they are arriving with no gear. (Assume appropiate clothing and an empty day pack)

Given a $25 budget -- and no lending of gear --what do you bring for them?

Please list items with prices

Teacher

#91129 - 04/14/07 08:44 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: teacher]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Start with a couple of one liter bottled waters, cost $3-4.
A cheap fleece blanket in a hideously bright color, $7-10
Enamel camp cup, ~$2
Hot chocolate packets, probably free from me.
Bic lighter, ~$1
2 Trash bags, probably free from me (taken from the dorms).
Flashlight, ~$10

Total $23-28

This gives my friend water, shelter from cold and rain, light and a fire. Plus they can make themselves hot chocolate to stay calm and help stay warm. They can signal with the flashlight at night or the hideously bright colored blanket at during the day. This would be okay for a short summer day hike. In the winter, I would be hesitant about them being out with just this stuff. But then I don't usually see people carrying what they'd really need to spend the night in winter, and this is better then what most people carry on a day hike. I'd also assume we're carrying food, since I almost always like to stop for lunch or a snack on a day hike and always have food left over. Not necessary if you're stuck, but a great psychological boost if you do have it.

#91132 - 04/14/07 08:46 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: teacher]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Looking at the prices even wally world knock-offs $25 won't get them more than a cheap canteen, a real cheap knock-off multi tool, and maybe enough left over for some cheap cheese crackers for a snack.

#91134 - 04/14/07 09:01 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: AROTC]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Swedish Frost Knife – $7.00
Perry whistle – $1.00
Compass - Base Plate Compass Silva copy - $5.00
Map of Park Area Copy is printed off on a Colour Laser – Costs Nothing
British Army Hexamine Stove and Fuel – $3.00
British Army type Mess tin – Aluminum – $2.50 (Bit of a cheat here as a set costs $5.00 but gets 1 pan)
British Army 24hr Ration Pack – $4.00
Re-used PET Bottle with Water – Costs nothing
Polypropylene Groundsheet/Tarp (Orange) with a length of 25' Paracord - $4.00

Total Cost $26.50 , Darn I've not been able to keep to the budget.

With the British Army Ration pack - has over 4000 calories will allow me to keep the hunger at bay for 3-4 days. The ration pack has matches and water purification tabs also. The Hexamine stove and mess tin will even allow me to have hot meals even if there is no wood or combustible materials around. The Swedish Frost knife allows a multitude of obvious survival tasks. With a map a compass I shouldn't get lost anyway and the whistle allows the obvious signaling option. The Brightly coloured Groundsheet/tarp is used for protection against the elements. The Re-used 1.5 litre PET bottle is cheap (costs nothing) and is robust. The bottom of the mess tin can be polished to improvise a signal mirror. I would like to have included a flashlight but the money ran out, I'll just have to build a big roaring fire and tuck into the ration pack during the night whilst under the stars.

In the British 24hr Ration Pack we have the following;

1 x Breakfast meal (in foil boil-in-a-bag packet, encased in a sealed polythene bag for added protection)
1 x Main meal (in foil boil-in-a-bag packet, encased in a sealed polythene bag for added protection)
1 x Dessert meal (in foil boil-in-a-bag packet, encased in a sealed polythene bag for added protection)

1 x Soup, powdered form, in sachet (varying flavours; Beef & Tomato, vegetable, Cream of mushroom, etc, manufactured by "Chequer Foods Ltd")

1 x Meat Pate, such Turkey and Herbs, Chicken and Herbs, etc (in small, ring pull opening, can)
1 x Oatmeal block (A slight exaggeration! It is really just a small Oatmeal biscuit, in metallic green foil packet)
1 packet x Biscuit Browns (approximately 6 in metallic green packet)
1 packet x Fruit Biscuits (approximately 6 in metallic pink or green packet)
1 x Milk chocolate bar (usually a bar manufactured by "A. Gandola & C. S.p.A. of Italy", but sometimes a brand called "Duncans of (Bellishill) Scotland")
1 x Milk chocolate with raisins and cereal bar (usually a brand called "Duncans of (Bellishill) Scotland")
1 packet of Boiled sweets (various fruit flavours, manufactured by "Chequer Foods Ltd")
1 packet of Wrigley’s chewing gum (usually Wrigley’s Extra, but sometimes a smaller packet of Wrigley’s chewing gum in tablet-like form)

1 x Drinking chocolate mix sachet (manufactured by "Eurogran of Kalundborg")
2 x Coffee sachets (manufactured by "Chequer Foods Ltd")
2 x Beverage whitener sachets, for coffee (manufactured by "Chequer Foods Ltd")
4 x Instant white tea sachets (manufactured by "Premier Brands")
8 x Sugar sachets (Manufactured by "Single Service")
1 x Orange or Lemon drink powder sachet (manufactured by "Eurogran of Kalundborg")
1 x Vegetable stock drink sachet (manufactured by "Single Service")

1 packet x Kleenex Tissues (manufactured by "Kleenex")
6 x Water purifying tablets
10 x Water/windproof matches with striker (matches and striker sealed in separate polythene compartments, to prevent accidental striking during packing, handling, and transportation)

Great, I even have some tissues to wipe my nose.

Edited by bentirran (04/14/07 09:37 PM)

#91137 - 04/14/07 10:52 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Bentirran
Where do you get the Brit ration packets? I've only found them on Ebay from the UK. Know any other dealers?
Thanks.

#91141 - 04/15/07 01:40 AM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I can't resist:

Coughlin Survival-Kit-in-a-Can-$10-Academy Sporting Goods
2 bottled waters-$4-fm any grocery store
Falsa blanket-$7-fm most convenience stores (southern USA)
US Army mess kit-$5-fm army surplus store
TOTAL=$26.00

DONATED ITEMS
1 35gal garbage bag-$0-fm pantry
1 55gal garbage (polypropylene) bag-$0-fm work
2 MRE's-$0-in stock @ home
2 US military meal accessory packets (knife, fork, spoon,
condiments)$0-in stock @ home
2 Triox tablets-$0-in stock @ home
1 Bic lighter-$0-in stock @ home

There is much more personal gear to be loaned AND some community gear that should be included, as well

#91151 - 04/15/07 03:11 AM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: wildman800]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Real simple:

1. Emergency Ration Pack VI BCB International $17.00
2. but pack with water bottles from Wally World $5.00
total $22.00

extra goodies 3.00

Edited by big_al (04/15/07 03:14 AM)

#91155 - 04/15/07 03:41 AM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: teacher]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So a 3 hour tour in heavily traveled area...

2 1L bottles of water -$3.00 for 2 (high, but...)
1 mini bic -$2 for three (I keep 2)
1 medium box of raisins -$2.19 (just checked reciept)
3 33gal bags -from the roll of 50 in my trunk
ok-ish whistle -$2
fauxton -$2
package of asst zipties -$1
hank of clothes line -$1
bottle of generic iodine tabs -$2
ok-ish bait or paring knife -$4
red T-shirt, customized by the sharpie in my pocket, saying "Darwin picked me last" -$4 (shirt; shapie ink is free)
note from me explaining, in vivid detail, what will happen them if I have to explain to thier spouse/parents that I(!!!!) lost them on one side, and on the other side the "STOP" acronym -effectively free

Razzing them about this for years
priceless

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91164 - 04/15/07 08:22 AM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: MDinana]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re MDinana

I think it is quite difficult to get the 24hr Ration Packs in the US. (the gear practice asummed a UK-US currency parity, as everything in the US is cheaper and the US has less sales tax etc, although at the moment the dollar/sterling rate is quite high).
In the UK the it is much more easy to get the 24hr Rations. I am quite lucky in that I can get the ration packs at Tams Army Surplus nearby.

http://www.tams-army-surplus.com/products.htm

The main problem is the postage and packing costs from Internet Suppliers. The cheapest can be had on ebay but they can also be brought from some internet retailers for about £3.50/ration pack but once you include the postage and packaging the price works out about the same as Tams and I know that the packs are new.

I don't think it would be economic to have them sent to the US from the UK.

Trade Volume discounts may be available at

http://www.farsm.com/ration_pack.aspx

But I suspect that the shipping costs would be very high and you may have to deal with USDA as well.
You may occasionaly get the odd seller on Ebay in the US.

#91185 - 04/15/07 06:36 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: ]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Well, the list for carry is about the same as usual:

Shelter - trash bags and nylon string
Signalling - whistle
Blade - lend (unless you can buy a Mora quickly where you are, almost everyone on this forum has multiple reasonable blades available :-))
Fire - Bic plus some kind of tinder
Light - Led light of some kind
Water/food - Bottle of water, puritabs, tin of food plus dried fruit (tin can be emptied and used to cook in. Knife with a can opener would work best!)
Medical - Something to patch bleeding, some band aids and wipes, and maybe a handful of OTC meds (painkiller, anti-spasmodic, anti-histamine)

Not rocket science, but a useful collection and apart from the blade, all pretty cheap.

Big issue is giving the un-equipped tools does not equip them - needs more than a bic to start a fire etc. So they probably need more kit (e.g. if you think they can start a fire, no need for puri-tabs. If they can't, then a tablet might help with dehydration. Likewise food - they don't need it, but it is very comforting and helpful for the panicked soul)

I'd be tempted to print Dougs instruction sheet for the PSK - good crash course if needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.