Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97982 - 06/20/07 10:45 PM Vacation Time
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
In July the family and I are taking a cruise on the Crown Princess down to the caribbean. I've taken a cruise before, so I have the general idea of it. But, can anyone reccomend what to take in the way of survival/emergency stuff? I believe I can get away with a small knife, lighter, ect (I don't think it's as strict as airplane travel.) However, I don't want to be thrown off the boat, so I think flares and stuff of that nature is a no-no.grin

Any ideas what to bring or any cruise travel tips? I think I've asked this before, but I can't find the exact thread. blush

#97990 - 06/20/07 11:51 PM Re: Vacation Time [Re: Paul810]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Bring lots of hand sanitizer; cruises are notorious for breakouts of things like Noro-virus.
Bring a couple of flashlights for night time emergencies.
I would also bring some type of warm clothing like a watchcap and windbreaker; have it ready in case you have to abandon ship at night.
Last cruise I went on knives were hard to get through security. I brought a modest SAK in my checked bags. I don't think they will let you carry a knife on in your pocket. You do go through metal detectors.

#98030 - 06/21/07 03:44 AM Re: Vacation Time [Re: billym]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
On our one cruise, the ship (Norwegian Cruise Lines) had hand sanitizers everywhere. You had to use the stuff to get on the boat, before you entered any of the eating places, it was everywhere.

I don't know how they examine your checked bags, but if they found a knife in your carryon, or on your person, they took it away, gave you a receipt, and gave it back the last night of the cruise (apparently if you want to go postal and start slashing fellow passengers you have to wait 'til the last night to do it).

I would second the suggestion about flashlights. Something like my Surefire G2 shouldn't upset anyone, and it can get DARK outside if you are in the middle of the ocean if the lights on the boat go out...

#98037 - 06/21/07 04:59 AM Re: Vacation Time [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

I figured I would try taking a Victorinox Recruit or small Leatherman in my carry on bag. The last cruise I was on (Norwegian) I bought a SAK the same size as the Recruit at a V-nox dealer in the Caribbean and brought it on board the ship no problem. I put it in the tray for the xray, walked through the metal detectors, and they gave it back. After that I carried it for the rest of the cruise. That was a few years ago however. I hope Princess cruise lines is the same way. Not being able to take a small folder is stupid. I mean, I got a 4" serrated steak knife with room service one night. crazy

My list of gear so far (not including normal clothes and stuff) is:
-Spare batteries
-Surefire A2
-Inova X1
-Victorinox Recruit
-A few mini Bic lighters
-A few of Doug's flat Fox 40 Whistles
-Garmin eTrex Vista GPS
-My compass watch
-Signal mirror
-Pocket Shortwave radio
-FRS radios to keep in touch while on the ship.
-Cell phone with spare battery (lot of good that does out at sea)
-rain gear
-fleece jacket and hat
-my fire/cut resistant police gloves
-A little sewing kit (with some added heavy duty thread and needles)
-Small first aid kit (with a small roll of duct tape and super glue)
-a few bandannas
-a water bottle
-hand sanitizer and wipes
-Spare glasses (and prescription goggles)
-Monocular
-camera (I was going to bring my Nikon D40, but decided to buy a cheaper digital so I don't care if it gets stolen, lost, ect. )

#98041 - 06/21/07 05:32 AM Re: Vacation Time [Re: Paul810]
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Nice list. Can't think of anything to add except one item. I'd think about a PLB of some sort and keep it in my pocket. I just can't put myself to trust the crew or other passengers to see me if I get tossed over the side, esp at night. Happened before. I don't know. Too much?

BTW, I have a surefire A2 also, with the blue LED. Best light I've ever had. Going to get a white/white when I get a little extra cash. You like it?

DLR

#98042 - 06/21/07 05:56 AM Re: Vacation Time [Re: DLR]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DLR
Nice list. Can't think of anything to add except one item. I'd think about a PLB of some sort and keep it in my pocket. I just can't put myself to trust the crew or other passengers to see me if I get tossed over the side, esp at night. Happened before. I don't know. Too much?

BTW, I have a surefire A2 also, with the blue LED. Best light I've ever had. Going to get a white/white when I get a little extra cash. You like it?

DLR

I don't have a PLB yet, but I've really been considering it. Especially for when we go snowmobiling in the winter.

As to the A2 it's a nice light, mine is white LEDS. I do wish the LEDs were a little brighter, but it's fine for reading. I have an L2 as well that I like a little bit better since the low setting is a bit brighter and there are no bulbs to worry about. However, it is longer than the A2. Not a lot longer, but enough to bother me when I carry it. I really wish the L2 was L4 size, then I would carry it over the A2. smile

#98048 - 06/21/07 10:15 AM Re: Vacation Time [Re: Paul810]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands

#98077 - 06/21/07 03:37 PM Re: Vacation Time [Re: Paul810]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
An emergency strobe would be a great help if you get tossed overboard at night. Just have to remember to carry it.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=802

#98091 - 06/21/07 05:18 PM Re: Vacation Time [Re: OldBaldGuy]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
The alcohol sanitizers are not good for repeated and extended use. Find one that is alcohol free. Then again plain soap and water work very well when used ofter enough.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.