Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#95808 - 05/28/07 09:45 AM Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
HurCon Checklist

5=definite threat possibility with no specific intel.
4=event could occur/start in 72 hours-specific intel
3=event could occur/start in 48 hours-specific intel
2=event could occur/start in 24 hours-specific intel
1=event could occur/start in 12 hours or is in progress.

HURRICANE SEASON: regular season – 01June through 01December

HurCon 5: Automatically set at the beginning of Hurricane Season (01Jun) and is automatically secured at the end of the Hurricane Season (01Dec). Upon setting HurCon 5:
1. Update emergency supply inventory
2. Top off all 5gal gas cans (stabilized)
3. Swap out all stored water
4. Update the Hurricane Contingency Plans
5. Review the plans with Household members.

HurCon 4: Set when expected landfall is within 72 hours and within range to affect the family. Upon setting HurCon 4:
1. Go to Home Depot and pick up a sufficient quantity of 2" deck screws (if in short supply), 1"x4" and 1"x12" pine boards to install shutters over the windows and doors (1"x4") that have them and to board up over the few windows that don't have shutters (1”x12”).
2. Keep the vehicle gas tanks above 1/2 tank levels.
3. Go to the grocery store and top off the pantry with normal foodstuffs.
4. Insure that all propane bottles are topped off.
5. Insure that battery supplies are sufficient.
6. Insure that flashlights and lanterns are working.

HurCon 3: Set when expected landfall is 48 hours away and is close enough to affect the family. Upon setting HurCon 3:
1. Review checklists for any missing items or chores that remain to be done.
2. Top off all vehicle fuel tanks.

HurCon 2: Set when expected landfall is 24 hours away and is close enough to affect the family. Upon setting HurCon 2:
1. Prepare our Hurricane Shelter area within the house (the main hall next to the bathroom).
2. Secure all missile hazards in the yard. Tie down everything that needs tying down.
3. Install shutters or board up all windows and doors, except for 1 front door and 1 back door.
4. Top off all BOB's.

HurCon 1: Set just prior to expected landfall.
1. Set up in the Hurricane Shelter (inside of my home) and start dealing cards, monitoring the TV (as long as power lasts), and radio broadcasts.
2. Visually monitor what the storm is doing to the neighborhood (from the safety of the house), for the duration of the storm.
3. Be prepared to grab BOB's and run to higher ground, if worse case scenario were to develop.

#95812 - 05/28/07 12:57 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: wildman800]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

We go through hurricanes every year also and it's starting to get to be a natural process also. Here's some more add ons we do at any threat of a hurricane.
1. Get a minimum of 20 Gallons of water (we have also a water purifier, portable distillery and 1 PUR 35 desalination pump in BOB)
2. Get all the money we can get from the ATM 24-48 hours of a suspect impact on our coast. (once the hurricane hits and leaves, everything is cash only, no money no nothing for days)
3. Fill up 100% both cars and 55 gallon barrel (food grade)and 4- 5 gallon jugs full of fuel. (add stabilizer to last the rest of season, then we burn the fuel in the cars after the season to rotate the fuel)
4.Charge up the propane tank for the grill and run the generator for 30 min. (which has a Harbor Freight 1.5 watt solar cell that trickle charges the battery the whole season)
5.Buy can food and pasta,big ole bag of rice,honey,etc.. (non perishables), then we put steaks or burgers in the fridge and things for 5 days if we have to goto generator (makes life enjoyable if we lose power and on generator).
6.Gather all important documents and BOB and firearms (the ones I plan to carry) and put it by the bed and once the hurricane hit's my area it stays with me 100% in case the house goes and trees fall on the cars and were left on foot.
7.Use 2 programs to monitor storm (Storm Predator and Eye of the Storm) and use TV weather channel and NOAA as back ups then switch to wind up solar radio once power is lost.
8.Pray!
9.Once storm passes then either store the stuff until next hurricane, or fire up the generator (Outside) and wait days for power or grab BOB and head for car or grab BOB and head out on foot.

#95815 - 05/28/07 01:22 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
How long does it take to board up you house? How many windows are involved?

Have you done anything to reenforce your roof trusses againt the wind?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95836 - 05/28/07 05:48 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: Blast]
Black_Wulf Offline
Stranger

Loc: South Florida
I'm by no means an expert, but you may want to change some things. I am basing this off of what I have seen in South FL. I'll try to list them in an understandable order, "when I make lists they tend to get a little convoluted"

"HurCon 4.
1. Go to Home Depot and pick up a sufficient quantity of 2" deck screws (if in short supply), 1"x4" and 1"x12" pine boards to install shutters over the windows and doors (1"x4") that have them and to board up over the few windows that don't have shutters (1?x12?)."

It may already be too late by then. Home Depot/Lowes can be a madhouse when there is a hurricane threat, all types of screws will be sold out, and the lumber will be gone. You want to have both screws and wood on hand already, and the screws you get should be based on what your house is made of. If you have a wood frame house, then deck screws should work fine. If you have a masonry, or concrete house, then you may want tapcons, concrete machine screw anchors, or wedge anchors, "Keep in mind that with wedge anchors, they are permanant, once they are set, there in there for good, the idea though is to have holes pre-drilled in the wood or shutters, so you can mount them with wing nuts."

If you use wood, it's a good idea to seal it first, either with some good outdoor grade deck stain, or anything that will really hold against the water, "a friend of mine coated his with fiberglass resin, 'before you ask, he's a boat builder' he has had those panels for 10+ years, and they still show no signs of water entry"

"3. Go to the grocery store and top off the pantry with normal foodstuffs."

Idealy this should be done already, if you have the room, it's a good idea to buy this stuff before hand "spread it out over time "a few cans here, a few there" and begin stocking up beforehand. This can even be done off season.

I suggest it be done early as it will be subject to the same exact rush as the hardware stores. If you don't have the room to store it, make room. Get a big storage container, fill it with canned food, and place it in an internal closet. While everyone is out rushing to get stuff, you can rest assured that you already have basics ready.
4. Insure that all propane bottles are topped off.
This can be done in HurCon 5, you will avoid the huge lines that way.

5. Insure that battery supplies are sufficient.
This is the same, idealy done in HurCon 5, there will be a run on batteries in 4 and below
6. Insure that flashlights and lanterns are working.
Same, I have seen Wal-Mart sell out within hours of a 72 hour possibility being broadcast.

HurCon 3:
1. Review checklists for any missing items or chores that remain to be done.

Idealy this should be done with 4, you have a better chance if you need to buy something.

2. Top off all vehicle fuel tanks.
This is fine, however be prepaired for lines. If you have a gen, you can fill your gas cans now as well, !!!DO NOT KEEP THE GAS CANS INDOORS" Keep them in a seperate shead, or a garage. If you have a natural gas furnace or water heater in the garage, keep the cans elsewhere.

Be prepaired to drive around for a bit, as this is the time that gas stations will run out. Tempers will also run high during this time, you may see cutting in line, and arguments/fights may break out, they certanly did around here.

HurCon 2:
Everything good on this one.

HurCon 1:
Same, though keep in mind that if you do have to run, don't forget the storm is still out there.

I hope everyone has a safe 2007 season. grin

Edited by Black_Wulf (05/28/07 05:52 PM)

#95838 - 05/28/07 05:54 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm allowing an entire day to board up everything.

No, I've not seen any reasons to reinforce the trusses, yet!

This list is not perfect and I will gladly accept recommendations to make it better such as Falcon's contribution. Thanks Falcon!!!

#95851 - 05/28/07 07:17 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: Black_Wulf]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...It may already be too late by then. Home Depot/Lowes can be a madhouse when there is a hurricane threat, all types of screws will be sold out, and the lumber will be gone. You want to have both screws and wood on hand already, and the screws you get should be based on what your house is made of. If you have a wood frame house, then deck screws should work fine. If you have a masonry, or concrete house, then you may want tapcons, concrete machine screw anchors, or wedge anchors, "Keep in mind that with wedge anchors, they are permanant, once they are set, there in there for good, the idea though is to have holes pre-drilled in the wood or shutters, so you can mount them with wing nuts..."

Finally someone says what I have thought for years. Every season see people at the "lumber" type stores, fighting for sheets of plywood. I have always wondered why anyone who lives in hurricane country would not have their home pre-setup like that...

#95860 - 05/28/07 08:14 PM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My home is set up for the Hurricane Season with plywood, screws, tools, etc. These items do get used throughout the year, by the kids, the wife, myself,and/or given to a neighbor in need. This is the time to recheck to make sure that you actually have what you think you have!

These items can always be "cut & pasted" at the condition each individual thinks is appropriate for his/her circumstances and location.

This is the glory of the modern home computor.

BTW: I've been through more hurricanes than I can remember. I do remember Betsy (my 1st), Camille, Andrew, and Lilly (took roofing damage). Katrina went to 1 side & Rita went by another side.

#95879 - 05/29/07 12:29 AM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I've been through more hurricanes than I can remember..."

I don't know how you guys do it. I am from earthquake country, where we get no warning, but they don't come every year, several times a year!!!

#95889 - 05/29/07 02:50 AM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: wildman800]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks wildman800 , I'm up in central,Fla and we already have made our boards and holes pre drilled several hurricanes back. The biggest thing that takes time is tying down the shed in the back even though it has anchors (we had the balloon effect on it when we had the 110 mph winds and it almost popped on us)so it gets cargo netted down. Also pulling down the satellite antenna and securing anything that can go airborne and definitely disconnecting the garage linkage from the door (Just pull the little string). I didn't do that one hurricane season and the winds ground off all the teeth in the trolley. Now we have a better door and 4X4's to brace them. You can't let any windows,doors or garage be breached or the roof may pop off. I've been trying to reinforce the old roof (New shingles) a little better. And we learned the hard way to stay from 3 tab and the Spanish porcelain shingles. Since the architect shingles went on, we've been doing good. Just pray for the tornadoes to stay away or the house will be toast.

#95901 - 05/29/07 09:20 AM Re: Hurricane Condition (HurCon) Checklist [Re: falcon5000]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I cover my garage doors with 3/4" plywood and brace the doors with 2"x4"s a well.

I have been trying to come up with a better system than tying/anchoring lines around the little tin storage building in the back yard. Thanks for the Cargo Net idea. That will work perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 109 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.