Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95147 - 05/21/07 05:21 AM Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
I purchased six turquoise 6 gal water containers, "Desert" something brand, in the WM sporting goods dept; filled them with water and stored them in an air conditioned area of my home. Within 6 months everyone of them developed multiple pin hole leaks. You may want to look elsewhere for your water containers.

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#95150 - 05/21/07 08:28 AM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: alvacado]
silent_weapon Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I believed I had the same situation, however after closer inspection, I realized that water was leaking from the "plug" area, where I had filled the jugs past capacity. They held for a few weeks, then started leaking. Not a problem if you don't overfill...don't know if this is the same situation your having or not, but worth looking into.

#95155 - 05/21/07 01:14 PM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: alvacado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have 8 of them (purchased at Sam's Club) and have had the issue with only 1, which was jostled around pretty good on a recent trip to the artesian spring. Still ticks me off a bit that it couldnt take a little abuse. I have a large semi-clear container that seems to be much tougher, but it was a gift and I dont know where it came from. Will have to research different containers.

#95160 - 05/21/07 01:46 PM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: alvacado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you want a tough water container, get these , the current USGI water container. Made in Canada (go figure), they are shaped like a regular jeep can, made of super heavy duty plastic. I have a five gal, and a 2.5 gal., they have been all over the western US, Canada, and Alaska, and have yet to spring a leak. One is hung on the back of our RV, no apparent effect by UV. You can get them at Brigade QM and other "military surplus" dealers...

#95168 - 05/21/07 02:28 PM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: OldBaldGuy]
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
I'll second OBGs recommendation. The USGI water containers are the best I've ever used. I use them for camping and have several set aside for emergencies. The 2.5 gal containers are easier to carry and pour from because of the reduced weight. I've ordered mine from www.actiongear.com. Look under "Survival & First Aid, Food Rations, Water & Fuel Storage" then "Boxes, Containers, Fuel Cans".

#95236 - 05/22/07 01:39 AM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: stevez]
alvacado Offline

Thanks for the response.
My units were not over filled; developed pin hole leaks as mentioned and were never knocked around or abused in any way.

OBG: I will contact Brigade QM and others in the morning.

Edited by alvacado (05/22/07 01:42 AM)

#95237 - 05/22/07 01:47 AM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: alvacado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

One bad thing about the GI cans: They have a large opening, with a screw on cap, and a smaller opening with a threaded cap in the middle of the large one. But they do not make a screw on spout for the small one, and it is a goofy size/thread, so I haven't be able to find one anywhere. I juryrigged a spout with some of the clear flexible PVC tubing you can get at any hardware store and a hose clamp. Without a spout it is very difficult to pour water into smaller containers (or your radiator) without spilling a lot...

#95238 - 05/22/07 01:55 AM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: OldBaldGuy]
alvacado Offline

OBG:

I understand the "hard to pour" problem. I also have commercial grade 55 Gal. water barrels and two hand pumps for "pouring".
I looked for a small electric pump but finally realized that I really don't know enough about them or how they operate to select one.

#95243 - 05/22/07 02:25 AM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: alvacado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I pump water into the fresh water holding tank on our RV when we are boondocking with a 12v
bilge pump I got from Harbor Freight for about $40. It comes with alligator clips to hook to your battery, and will empty a five gal container in a minute or so...

#95253 - 05/22/07 02:27 PM Re: Multiple Problems with WM 6 gal. Water Jugs [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Alvacado,

You should be able to use an evaporative cooler pump on those 55 gal drums. They are fairly straightforward, there's a gozinna and a gozouta and a place to hook up a power cord for 110 ac.

Also, I've seen drill mountable pumps that work with a standard power drill at many hardware stores.

Like OBG says, RV pumps that work on 12v dc and sometimes switchable to 110 ac are abundant and not too expensive.

There's also manual crank pumps that are used for siphoning that are pretty cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.