Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#91611 - 04/19/07 12:47 AM Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
For the impatient and those who don't want to read this long post, bottom line: BIG THUMBS UP!

I purchased the Byrd Meadowlark, Robin, Finch, and Starling models. All with plain edge and FRN handles (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon). I believe the Starling is a new model and just now becoming available. Also, the Robin I bought has FRN handles which is a new twist. Previously it was only available with G10 handles (more weight and higher cost).

These were all ordered from Knives Plus out of Amarillo, TX http://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-knife-byrd.html Ordered Monday noon and arrived in the Denver, CO area Wednesday noon using the standard (cheapest) shipping option - UPS ground.

BYRD is SPYDERCOs less expensive line. Initially I was hesitant to purchase because of this. Boy was I wrong. These are great knives and you feel like you're stealing the things given their dirt cheap prices ($15.97 each for the Meadowlark and Robin, $9.97 each for the Finch and Starling at Knives Plus). The only other SPYDERCO I own is a Native (also with FRN handles). The best price for a Native that I'm aware of (for comparison) is $39 at Walmart. I will use my Native as a comparison in my comments. A great picture of some of these knives can be found in the 2007 Shot Show review here at ETS http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic1871.htm From top to bottom that picture shows the G10 Cara Cara, G10 Meadowlark, FRN Cara Cara, FRN Meadowlark, and FRN Robin.

The Meadowlark and Robin are pretty much identical to each other in construction, the only difference being the size (Meadowlark is bigger). So other than size, what I say about the Meadowlark goes for the Robin as well. The Meadowlark is a very close match for my Native in physical size. They both weigh the same. The Meadowlark beat the Native in that it is screwed together whereas the Native is riveted. The Meadowlark has a four-way mountable clip (left or right, tip up or tip down). The Native is two-way, tip up left and right. The Native probably has "better" steel, CPMS30V vs. this new steel called 8Cr13MoV in the Meadowlark. I just got the BYRD knives, so I cannot comment on edge holding, ease of sharpening, toughness, or anything like that. The Native is more heavy-duty than the Meadowlark, but the Meadowlark is no slouch. The Meadowlark is closer to the SPYDERCO Delica in heavy-dutiness. The handle texturing on the Meadowlark is more aggressive than the Native. I find no grip advantage one way or the other to the two different textures, but the Meadowlark is more difficult to insert or remove from your jeans pocket (I assume because of the texturing). The Meadowlark has an index finger choil like the Native, and a hump like the Delica. The best of both worlds IMHO. The Native fits my (small) hand 100% perfectly, the Meadowlark is 99% perfect (quite subjective). The Meadowlark fits my hand better than the Delica however. And the choil gives me more confidence in grip than the Delica. The Meadowlark opens every so slightly easier than the Native, probably because of the Native's heavier spring. The Native has the traditional round SPYDRECO opening hole and the Meadowlark has a larger teardrop shaped opener. Both work equally well with my hands. Both knives use a mid-back lock, and lock up tight as a drum with no blade play at all. The blade shape of the Meadowlark is possibly less intimidating to a knife-a-phobe than the Native.

The Robin is smaller than the Meadowlark and would be even less intimidating to those who tend to get intimidated. The Robin is a bit more difficult to maneuver in the hand than the Meadowlark due to it's smaller size. But that could also be a familiarity thing for me. I know my Native inside and out and the Meadowlark is close to that feel. A bit of practice with the Robin may make it equally as familiar in my hand.

The Finch and the Starling are identical in size to each other for all practical purposes. Weight too. The Finch looks like a miniature version of the Robin, along with finger choil and everything. The Starling has not finger choil, and thus a longer cutting edge than the Finch. Small keychain knives like these are harder to handle, but the Finch's finger choil gives me a more secure feeling than the Starling. Both of these small knives are riveted together, not screwed like their larger brothers. Neither includes a pocket clip (you wouldn't want one anyway for something this small). They both come with small bead-chains to attach to your keyring if you're so inclined. Both can be opened one-handed with ease, but not as easy as their larger siblings. My Finch opens extremely smoothly like the Meadowlark and Robin, but my Starling has an ever so slight gritty feel as you open it. Very slight, but noticeable when directly compared to the Finch. This may be a sample to sample variation rather than a model to model variation. Since I only have one of each, I wouldn't know. Given my personal samples, I would definitely choose the Finch over the Starling.

I bought the Finch and Starling with the intent of putting one into a new Altoids tin kit I'm putting together. For that use, the Starling fits just a minor bit better. The bigger non-compressible stuff in the kit that these little knives are sharing space with are: StarFlash mirror, Fox Rescue Howler whistle, mini-Bic, BSA Hotspark w/striker. Other compressible stuff can be crammed into the remaining space (TinderQuick, etc.) Either knife fits into the Altoids tin with their friends and the lid closes completely, but the Starling (almost) drops in and the Finch has to be press-fitted in.

[edit]
After some rearranging of that Altoids tin, both the Starling and the Finch now drop in with ease. And I managed to get a Photon III in there as well (tight fit). So the Starling holds no advantage over the Finch in the Altoids-fit category anymore. But now I find I like the Starling and the Finch too much to relegate either to hidden status inside a sealed Altoids tin. So I think I'll dump my CRTK Peck in there instead (a small knife I initially thought was cool, but I've since learned to loath ... still OK for emergencies I guess).
[/edit]

My previous favorite "under $20" knife was the Kershaw Vapor, available from Walmart for $19. Closely behind that one was the Benchmade mini-Pika for a few bucks more. The BYRDS absolutely blow away both of these contenders in every category IMHO, and they're cheaper.

Edited by haertig (04/19/07 02:53 PM)

#91616 - 04/19/07 01:11 AM Re: Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions [Re: haertig]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The alloy is probably 8 parts chromium, 13 parts molybendium, and 1 part vanadium. Who knows how many parts iron. But it should be a fairly corrosion resistant alloy, and after double checking at wiki, the moly should make it a hard alloy.

I would be curious to see how these stand up in terms of just wear and tear over prolonged daily use.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91620 - 04/19/07 01:34 AM Re: Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions [Re: ironraven]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I would be curious to see how these stand up in terms of just wear and tear over prolonged daily use.

The BYRD literature says: "8Cr13MoV blade steel is similar to AUS-8 in it's properties and performance". FWIW.

Also, I should have mentioned in my first post that both the Meadowlark and the Robin have metal liners inside their FRN handles (the Finch and Starling do not, however)

#91648 - 04/19/07 12:20 PM Re: Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions [Re: haertig]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I just got a CaraCara in last week from Knifeworks. It's the "large" knife; about 3 7/8 inches. I got the metal handles (which for some reason I thought were aluminum). It's stainless handle. The thing is HEAVY! Looks and feels like a very solid knife. It's in my 72hr bag, hanging out with a SOG multitool (another 'light' tool). So, anyway, looks like great quality for about $19, but if you want to carry it, get the G-10 handles. Probably knocks a half-pound off the weight.

#91659 - 04/19/07 02:39 PM Re: Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions [Re: MDinana]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
...but if you want to carry it, get the G-10 handles. Probably knocks a half-pound off the weight

The G-10 model weighs the same as the stainless model. Both of them are 5.6 oz. If you want lighter weight, get the FRN model. That Cara Cara weighs 3.8 oz. The same holds true for the Meadowlark and Robin. G-10 equals stainless in weight, FRN is lighter.

#91687 - 04/19/07 06:03 PM Re: Got some new BYRD knives: Initial impressions [Re: haertig]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I stand corrected!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.