The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#88066 - 03/12/07 01:05 AM First Kydex Experiment
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Hey guys,

I have been messing around with kydex lately, and I have made my first sheath for my Khukri. Anyway, I made a couple of mistakes, like tracing the outline on the wrong side of the material, but this sheath is a proof of concept design. I am thinking about making another one in a couple of weeks (after my next son is born), but this one will have to do for now!

Enjoy,

Garrett

#88073 - 03/12/07 01:48 AM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: garrett]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Looks pretty good... how did you mold the Kydex?

smitty

#88078 - 03/12/07 02:25 AM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: smitty]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
Garrett,
Nice first try. Nothing wrong with that scabbard. Wish I had one for my Khukri. Is that a left side carry? Looks like you ground off part of the ring on the handle. That part bothers me too.
Hey, maybe you can start a Khukri scabbard business. You could experiment on the board members here, while you perfect a design.
Best wishes,
Mike

#88079 - 03/12/07 02:28 AM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: smitty]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Looks good. I haven't had the guts to try kydex yet, you may have pushed me into it...

#88087 - 03/12/07 03:50 AM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
That sheath looks great Garrett. I've got some Kydex on-order and am going to try my first run at making a new sheath for my BM210.

Here is a great link for making Kydex (et al):
http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials.htm
On the left-hand frame, click on Tutorials, then Sheaths, and you'll see the Kydex sections.

#88098 - 03/12/07 12:49 PM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: Westwindmike]
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Smitty,

I molded it in a homemade press I built out of ply wood and a foam sleepind pad (found at www.northcoastknives.com) as noted by Stretch. I heated the material up in the oven, wrapped the blade and had my son stand on it while I clamped it down.

WestEndMike,

As far as the scabbard having issues, that is solely my opinion. I did not have the correct materials on hand to mold the belt loop, and I did not leave enough material for the loop, although it worked out. It is a left handed carry, although I originally wanted a right handed carry. I am actually glad now, as I am a right handed shooter, and that would be just too much weight on my right side.

I did grind down the ring. That took the most time, besides sharpening. I posted pictures of just the knife in my other thread: My original Khukri thread

As far as making them for the forum members, I would be happy to lend a hand to anyone who wants it, just dont expect a quick turnaround, I have a newborn coming any day now!

Old Bald Guy,

I was nervous at first too, but now I feel a lot better. I have another plan in mind for my PSK. I will post pics of that when I get it done. Just remember to be patient. I am terrible with patience, and that caused me a few issues during this project.

Stretch,

Thanks for reminding me about the link! I found the design for my press there! Good luck with your project. I hope you have as much fun as I did!

Garrett

#88108 - 03/12/07 03:08 PM Re: First Kydex Experiment [Re: Stretch]
obmeyer Offline

Loc: Fairfax County VA
I too have an order for Kydex in, should be on the door when I get back home. I have some machetes that are in simple cheep canvas sheaths that need to be better protected.

Edited by obmeyer (03/12/07 03:32 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.