Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#87369 - 03/05/07 03:50 AM More From 38,000 Feet & Another Tip
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The travel calendar is full again, as much as I thought I'd never be unsure of what city I'm waking up in again, here I am, confident that I'm in Miami only because the little slip of paper here at this desk in the room says so.

The lines at the airport security come in two distinct flavors - pro and amateur. The pros arrive 45 minutes (or less) before their flight, show their boarding pass to the security attendant, look pathetic and get rushed through the first class or employee lines.

The amateurs are befuddled that they, like the 4,000 people they just watched going through the X-Ray & Magnetometers ahead of them for the last 90 minutes, have to take off their shoes & coats, put their bags flat on the conveyor and remove all metal objects from their pockets before entering.

I think that the biggest risk we face at the airports will be a TSA agent going stark raving mad when the 4,000th person that hour looks dumbfounded that they too have to do what everyone else in front of them was doing.

Here's some of the latest air travel tips:

- Amazingly, the seats are getting closer together. I few down here on Continental, and literally could hardly read a book due to the seat in front of me being less than the distance from my elbow to the tips of my fingers from my face.

- You'd be surprised at what you can "forget" in your bag without a problem. Suffice it to say that products from Switzerland don't get as much attention as they used to. 'nuf said on that.

- In case you DO have a problem with your "forgotten" item, just make sure you keep a pre-stamped US Postal Service Priority Mail Tyvek envelop ($4.05 stamp) in your bag so you can return stuff to yourself.

- There's no rule against carrying an EMPTY water bottle on your person. You can fill it for free past the security check.

- You're allowed to turn on your cell phone once the plane has landed, and before you get to the gate. This can save a LOT of time if you have a pickup waiting.

That's all for now. Early meetings tomorrow, gotta get to bed.

38,000 Feet Over the Atlantic Ocean

Attachments
3-38Kfeet.jpg

#87372 - 03/05/07 04:58 AM Re: More From 38,000 Feet & Another Tip [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...dumbfounded that they too have to do what everyone else in front of them was doing..."

Kind of like the people in the line at a fast food eatery (Yes, I do on occasion force some of that stuff down), who do not look up at the giant neon lit menu right in front of them until they get up to the person taking orders. Kind of like my ex used to do all the time...

#87386 - 03/05/07 02:17 PM Re: More From 38,000 Feet & Another Tip [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I call it "fast food syndrome", but from the other perspective. Try it:

Welcome to Burger Bell, may I take your order?
Hi, I'd like a Buffoon Burger with medium fries and small Coke to go.
One Buffoon Burger – You want fries with that?
Yes, medium fries and a small coke to go.
Medium fries – You want something to drink?
Yes, small Coke, that’s all to go, by the way.
Small Coke – Will that be for here or to go?
TO GO!
Your total is $6.66
I’d like to use a debit card.
Sure, will that be debit or credit?
ARRRGGHGH!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#87389 - 03/05/07 03:01 PM Re: More From 38,000 Feet & Another Tip [Re: thseng]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
cry Been there before. crazy

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.