Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#85814 - 02/16/07 09:55 PM New Hobbies, New Kit -- Trail Running
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
In the past several months I have gotten pretty serious about trail running. It's a great sport for me because it combines several of my passions--running, ultralight hiking/camping, primitive skills, fitness, orienteering, and generally escaping the urban jungle (which I do love) in which I live. Well, now that I'm running harder, and faster, and on more challenging, technical trails, I decided it's time to take my kit to the next level. I'm going on longer runs, running faster, and on more dangerous terrain--and all alone--so my chances of injury, and being placed a survival situation have increased, I think. Just tucking a light weight folding knife, and butane lighter in the sleeve of a UA Cold Gear top (in addition to phone, and water, of course) isn't making me feel too confident, or responsible anymore.

I have always tried to take a minimalist, but responsible approach to what I carry, and trail running (at least the way I do it) brings about a new challenge because it requires a light weight kit, with no rattle, that can be attached to my body, somewhere other than my right arm, my left wrist, or my waist (those spots are already taken by water bottles, a GPS and my phone). The contents of the kit, in my opinion, must also be unlikely to increase my chance of injury when I take a hard, fast fall (which I do often) while zipping down the trail. So in other words, nothing sharp, or pointy, no glass, etc.

Here's what I have come up with. I'd seriously love to hear thoughts on it. What's right, what's wrong, how to better carry it, how to make it lighter, how to make it more effective, etc.

I'm using one of these armband pouches that have become quite common on the jogging trails, in the gyms etc., mostly for carrying iPods and cell phones. I'm sure you've all seen them. The one I use looks very similar to this one, except with a much better seal at the top. I keep it wrapped around my arm, just above the bicep. Total weight equals 8.3oz.

Here's what's in it.

1 SAK Farmer Knife
1 Large Reynolds Oven Bag
1 Unlubricated Trojan Condom
6 Katadyn MP-1 Water Purification Tablets
1 Rescue Flash Signal Mirror (Plastic for Safety)
2 Bayer Aspirin
4 Ibuprofen
1 Butane Lighter
1 Sparklite Firestarter
12 Tinder Quick Tabs
1 Photon II White LED
1 10mm SAS Button Compass
1 ACR Whistle
1 Bundle of 5' Duct Tape
2 Bundles of 25' of 80# Spider Wire

On my other arm, just above the bicep, in a very similar pouch is my phone, which is a Blackberry, with mapping software, internet access, etc. Not that I really use all that stuff when I'm running, but my company pays for the phone, so I carry it. Actually in half the places I run, the phone is just dead weight because I can't get a signal to save my life (no pun intended). On my left wrist is a Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS (I love this thing--I could do a whole 'nother thread on it). Around my waist is 1 or 2 20oz bottles of water.

Thoughts?

#85815 - 02/16/07 10:13 PM Re: New Hobbies, New Kit -- Trail Running
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I would use a conformal fanny pack rather than arm holsters personally. I have quite a good one made by Patagonia. It's designed for runners/joggers. Trade the SAK Farmer for one of the one hand opening models. Assume that any mishap is going to result in injury's that deprive you of the use of one hand/arm. Trying to open a SAK knife with one hand is difficult at the best of times.

#85816 - 02/16/07 10:20 PM Re: New Hobbies, New Kit -- Trail Running
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
The kit looks good the only thing I might look into adding is some additional first aid items, specifically some type of bandages or dressing in case you have to handle a gash in your leg, etc from falling.

#85817 - 02/16/07 10:55 PM Re: New Hobbies, New Kit -- Trail Running
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Do you have space for a Heatsheet? If you fall and hurt yourself, you will produce less internal heat. This would allow you to wrap up while starting a fire, determining the extent of your injuries, or finding cell service.

#85818 - 02/16/07 11:04 PM Re: New Hobbies, New Kit -- Trail Running
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Not a bad kit.
I do some trail running when I am not in lazy mode. I usually run with less; a knife, whistle, Photon, mini bic, water bottle and a Patagonia Houdini jacket which is super light.
I would not worry about water containers (condom, oven bag) as you are carrying water already. Just use the empty container and some MP1 tabs.
I run with a BM mini grip of some sort; one handed, locks is super light and easy to grip with sweaty hands. I wear mine clipped inside the waistband of my shorts just behind the right hip; it doesn't move and I can grab it just like when it is in my back jeans pocket.
I might suggest adding a AMK Heatsheet or blanket bivy since you are minimally dressed.
How about a little first aid?
Do you need the Spider wire? What for?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.