Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77172 - 11/17/06 12:24 AM PSK Updated Pics
Burncycle Offline
Addict

My old camera broke, but got my hands on another for these shots... the white balance is horrible, I'll try to take better pictures tonight or this weekend.

(Direct Link, large picture: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4361/largejh4.jpg )

This is basically the same as my last revision but with just a few changes...
-Added a couple feet of 550 cord (yay!)
-Added some zipties
-replaced the plastic pencil sharpener with a metal one (slightly smaller dimensions)
-Used up a couple of the tinder quik (Need to get some more)
-Added some claritin
-Removed the no-doze (expired)
-Included the metal eye screws again. Trees are common in my area and I figured they'd be useful for light lashing duties - they seem solid enough screwed into the tree trunk, and I can tie directly to the eye instead of having to wrap all the way around the tree.
-Added some of the tiny chemlights, mostly because I had a little room. They'll probably come out
-Duct taped a space blanket to the bottom of the tin (it's in a small plastic bag so it won't tear)
-Replaced the leatherman micra with a cheapo needle nosed multitool... still trying to decide if this was a good move or not. This is of lesser quality, but has small needlenosed pliers which might prove more useful.. It still has scissors, but they're smaller and they fold out. Also has a small saw.

That's about all I can think of right now. I'd still like to do a few things to it, like
-Getting some broad spectrum antibiotics
-Replacing the small coast flashlight with a better one, maybe an arc AAA... but that may require major changes in packing strategy to fit.
-Add more meds and vacuum pack them
-Replace cheap fishing line with something stronger like spiderwire so it can be used for light lashing as well.

#77173 - 11/17/06 02:21 AM Re: PSK Updated Pics
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Why Band-Aid brand adhesive bandages? "They occlude the wound and make it gooey. You know that white, wrinkly skin you find under a Band-Aid? The medical term for that is 'maceration,' and it not only impedes healing but also promotes infections." -- Brent Blue M.D.

A couple of alternatives are Swift Brand, employed in Doc Blue's Emergency Medical Kit or Dynarex employed by Adventure Medical Kits.

Jeanette Isabelle

#77174 - 11/17/06 03:12 AM Re: PSK Updated Pics
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Wasn't aware of that

#77175 - 11/17/06 03:33 AM Re: PSK Updated Pics
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
me neither!

#77176 - 11/17/06 03:54 AM Re: PSK Updated Pics
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
As far as bandaids go, Band-aid Flexible Fabric brand is the way to go IMHO. Better adhesive, doesn't go bad in high heat conditions and they don't occuled the wound like the plastic ones do. Dynarex are OK, but the adhesive Swift uses goes bad in one Arizona Summer.

#77177 - 11/17/06 08:03 AM Re: PSK Updated Pics
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Are you talking about getting broad spectrum antibiotic tablets or ointment?

#77178 - 11/17/06 06:34 PM Re: PSK Updated Pics
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
The term maceration should only be used when there is separation of the skin components, epidermis from dermis. The wrinkly skin from being wet isn't at the state of maceration. The MD needs to be educated ; )

Edited by jshannon (11/17/06 06:35 PM)

#77179 - 11/17/06 06:41 PM Re: PSK Updated Pics
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Actually...

Maceration of the skin occurs when it is consistently wet. The skin softens, turns white, and can easily get infected with bacteria or fungi.

The term Maceration itself simply means to soften.

#77180 - 11/17/06 06:48 PM Re: PSK Updated Pics
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
I agree. I've replaced the adhesive bandages in all my FAKs with the Band-Aid Flexible Fabric brand. They conform to the area they're applied to and flex and stretch with movement. I always had a problem with bandages that loosened and fell off until I made the switch. The only downside is that because they're fabric, they will absorb liquids. Just keep them dry and replce if they become saturated.

#77181 - 11/17/06 06:55 PM Re: PSK Updated Pics
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Ah, well get some Liquid Bandage, I prefer 3M's, but Band Aid's isn't bad either. It keeps smaller wounds clean and dry, you can cover it with a standard adhesive bandage for added protection.

This is overkill for the most part, but it is useful if you need to keep working in a dirty/wet enviroment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.