Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#76478 - 11/10/06 01:29 AM Survival Kit contents--- Satt phone, Yes / No
birddog Offline

Loc: Australia
I routinley carry a Hand Held Satellite phone as part of my Survival Kit . I find that as I do a lot of charter flights outside of Mobile phone range ( you call them Cell phones ), within and outside Australia, carrying a Sat phone was a plus ( mine has international roaming as part of it's features ) . As I also carry a very good hand held GPS receiver, that and the Sat phone are an excellent back up to the GPS enabled 406 Mhz PLB, which is also carried as part of my 4 person Survival kit. My kit also carries a Mobile phone, apart from the one that I carry on my person, as well as a hand held aircraft radio, and a hand held UHF CB radio. My kit as I said is based around equippiing 4 people for 3 days ( tools/shelter/food,cooking / signalling / protection). The protection component includes a 9MM Hand gun, but thats another story.

#76479 - 11/10/06 02:10 AM Re: Survival Kit contents--- Satt phone, Yes / No
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Who do you call on a Sat phone for help? A family member or friend, give them your GPS, and they call whatever emergency services serves your area?

Is there an "International Emergency Number" that could route local help to you?

Seems like you are well equipped. A belated welcome to the group, BTW.

#76480 - 11/10/06 02:22 AM Re: Survival Kit contents--- Satt phone, Yes / No
birddog Offline

Loc: Australia
I can call the area that I am flying overs Civil Aviation Authority/ Emergency Management Department. I have manuals, charts etc ... for all the area's that I operate in ( Australia/ New Zeakland / South East Asia, even the US,Canada, South Africa to name a few ). My main contact is our Charter company emergency contact number. They / we keep a database of Emergency contact number for all the areas we operate in. As a last resort I can contact the company that we are chartered by.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.