Chisel Offline
Veteran

What should I EDC ??

I walk for excercise.
Male. Age = 50 +.
Neighborhood is calm.
Lots of shops and kids playing around.

Possible threats :

1 - a totally unexpected heart attack or other health hazard . Two years ago I had a bad fall while walking. There was a stone or something that I didnt notice and had a twisted ankle. Something like that can happen.

2 - To be accidentally hit by car. Not expected but could happen

3 - Some teenagers trying to take my wallet. I have heard of teenager attacks to steal wallet or cell phone .. etc. They are generally non-violent crimes like grabbing your wallet or cell phone while teengaer is on his mortorbike

3 - A stray dog coming too close for comfort. It happened before, especially in early morning ( just after sunrise ) . Usually, afternoon walks are much safer in this regard.

Any comments ??

#75669 - 10/29/06 09:59 AM Re: Walker's EDC
DaveP Offline

I would say a stout walking stick or a cane would help with most of those scenarios. For a car accident, maybe add a FAK of some kind, although if you were badly hurt I don't know how much good it would do. I also never leave the house without a knife or multi tool. Usually both.

Dave

#75670 - 10/29/06 10:20 AM Re: Walker's EDC
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Do you have a heart condition? If yes, you may need to carry sublingual nitroglycerin and perhaps some chewable aspirin with you.
Talk to your doctor about this.
A small knife or a keychain multi-tool is great to have around. I also carry a Photon Freedom flashlight on my keychain.

#75671 - 10/29/06 11:13 AM Re: Walker's EDC
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Because you walk in a urban neighbourhood, you don't need the 'classic' survival items (PSK, space-blanket,etc.)

1: If you're at risk of getting a heart attack, Carry some asperin and of course your personal meds. A medical info card might also be a good idea.

I would also carry a decent FAK, with additional supplies for injuries most common for walkers: Moleskin (blisters),
large roll of gauze and SAM-splint (immobilizing a limb) and a triangulair bandage (broken arm, blood stopper).
If you plan on calling for outside help if injured, you could probably lose the SAM and the gauze roll.

2: If you get hit, you are dependent on outside help (EMS), so I wouldn't prepare for that. Maybe a triangular bandage, but that's about it.

3,4: If you worry about that, you could use a cane, stick or one of those expandible batton's. Or carry pepper-spray.
Aren't there those electronic devices that scare dog's off??

Than there is the basic equipment: Multitool/knife, flashlight, bandanna, lighter, cellphone, wallet, ID, etc.

HTH

Some FAK's:

http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showt...;amp;PHPSESSID=

http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showt...;amp;PHPSESSID=

#75672 - 10/29/06 01:04 PM Re: Walker's EDC
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Carry a good whistle and torch. Extra money is usually good in urban situations, too. Mobile phone. Medications if you need them.

Beyond that I wouldn't be too worried.

#75673 - 10/29/06 01:25 PM Re: Walker's EDC
coyote Offline
stranger

Loc: 100 yds from elkhorn creek
Walker, You might consider telling someone your walking route, and expected time of return.

#75674 - 10/29/06 02:59 PM Re: Walker's EDC
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
The idea of taking a kit containing a splint, large roll of gause etc for a neighborhood walk is, in my opinion, over the top.
Stick with a cellphone, walking stick and your normal pocket carry.
(I realize there are some paranoids who won't go to the corner store without a BOB and a couple of weapons, but...)

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."

#75675 - 10/29/06 04:45 PM Re: Walker's EDC
pm4hire Offline
Stranger

Everyone who runs, walks, and hikes should wear dog tags, just like when you were in the service.

#75676 - 10/29/06 05:30 PM Re: Walker's EDC
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
For urban, the only thing I would really be worried about is drawing attention to yourself. A whistle (Fox40, $4.95), a cellphone, and a flashlight (Target's River Rock two-AAA LED, $9.95) would be about all you'd need for that. I always carry a folding knife too (Spyderco Native, $39 at Walmart), but that's not just for urban walking. I don't even walk around inside my house without carrying the knife!

For a medical emergency or getting hit by a car, you're pretty much dependant on others for help. So just draw attention to yourself.

For a gang of teenagers attacking a lone 50+ year old, about the only thing you could carry to possibly equalize that would be a gun. But you should suspect the kids doing such things might be carrying weapons too, so consider the circumstances before doing something stupid. A man carrying a gun who will still consider giving up his wallet (without drawing the gun) is a smart man indeed. I do not consider my knife as protection against human threats. A younger, stronger assailant might easily turn the tables on you. I would not consider trying to use my knife for defense unless I was convinced my life would be lost were I not to attempt such defense.

For a violent dog threat, my plan would be a strong offense if I were able. Keep your eyes open so you see the threat materializing. Don't wait for the dog to have it's jaws on your throat. For the dog case, I suspect that Spyderco knife would be a great asset. I would have mine out and ready before the dog made it's initial run at me.

#75677 - 10/29/06 07:02 PM Re: Walker's EDC
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
The idea of taking a kit containing a splint, large roll of gause etc for a neighborhood walk is, in my opinion, over the top.

As I said in my post: If you have access to EMS, you don't have to take the SAM and gauze with you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.