The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74442 - 10/04/06 03:10 PM Let there be Light
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
I recently (through no fault of my own) came into some crazy money and found myself at an outdoors store.
I splurged on a Surefire E2L outdoorsman flashlight for $128.00. What was I thinking? !!!
I have several other types of flashlights but now I have seen the light. I thought, at time of purchase, that it was an LED but am not sure now.
The piercing amount of pure white light this device puts out far exceeds anything I have ever seen. It puts a 12 volt light that came with my drill to shame.
I realize that it only has 6 hours of usefull battery life, the batteries are expensive, and if my wife finds out how much I paid..... After all that, I will never be without it again.

Anyone else have experience with these lights? Thoughts?

Jon

#74443 - 10/04/06 03:18 PM Re: Let there be Light
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have an E1L and was also pleasantly surpised at the output it has. I also have an A2 and three G2s, one with an LED conversion. I can only imagine the output the E2L has. Enjoy, it's great having high quality equipment.

#74444 - 10/04/06 03:35 PM Re: Let there be Light
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I EDC a Surefire E2D clipped in my left pocket. Primarily, I carry it for those times when I must absolutely see something clearly in the dark. Like in a shoot/don't shoot situation. I have its older cousin (a 6P IIRC) next to my bed for exactly the same reason.

I went out to Surefire's web site and purchased a plastic disk that holds a spare bulb and 4 spare batteries. I carry this in my "bag of tricks" that is usually within arms reach or in the car.

I have carried Surefire lights for many years, and they have never let me down. I understand their limitations (runtime, batteries) but use them for their intended purpose and use other lights when the situation dictates. There is no "perfect light", but one might argue that there are perfect lights for given situations.

Enjoy your new purchase!

#74445 - 10/04/06 03:50 PM Re: Let there be Light
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, the 2 "L" is an LED light.

The battery situation is reasonable as long as you buy your batteries online. You can get Surefire batteries directly from Surefire qty 12 / $21. But you can also get batteries from companies like batterystation.com and amondotech.com for $1.50 and $1 ea.

-john

#74446 - 10/05/06 07:37 AM Re: Let there be Light
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
I have a Surefire 6p, an older version that has the xenon bulb & uses DL123 batteries. I was unpleasantly surprised to find that when the batteries die, they do so instantly, with no dimming of the light for warning. This could be a problem if you are in a dark building, (etc.) & the light suddenly goes out & you don't have spare batteries in your pocket.

#74447 - 10/05/06 08:33 AM Re: Let there be Light
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't recall how quickly the E2L dies, but the incandecents do drop off quick. It's a good idea to carry spares!

-john

#74448 - 10/05/06 02:51 PM Re: Let there be Light
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
Thanks for the advice, I will keep spares close by.

I will try and report my experience with the LED's in regard to the sudden drop off.
I have just become a part time farmer and my light gets nightly use.
I value it so much that my wife will get her own soon.
Couldn't do without her....

Have a great day! Jon

#74449 - 10/05/06 03:01 PM Re: Let there be Light
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
What about Sure-fire versus Mag-lite?

#74450 - 10/05/06 03:25 PM Re: Let there be Light
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Quote:
Sure-fire versus Mag-lite

Each has it's place. I own numerous Surefires and numerous Mags. My EDCs are Surefires, my worklights are Mags.

#74451 - 10/05/06 03:45 PM Re: Let there be Light
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

neither are useless, neither perfect.

if you want a "perfect beam" free of rings, VERY HIGH light output (can be annoying for close up work), quality finish and a small packages, surefire is the deal. It does eat expensive batteries, lots of them! The bulb assembely are expensive, so is the light it self.

Maglite's uses commen batteries, but really don't give much light for it's size, has a ugly beam (although focus-able), very bad discharge curve (they only seem to give good output with fresh batteries and quickly become much dimmer for a long long time...)

both company's has many (cheaper) competition, that makes light which are very similiar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.