Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#71847 - 08/23/06 03:00 AM Got my RSK MK3!!
djk010468 Offline
Stranger

Well, I got it. I have to say, it was a purchase I didn't need to make, but I made it anyway. This knife has the best feel of any fixed blade I have seen, and I love S30V. Wicked sharp. And I love the look of it too, a kind of form-follows-function elegance.

Overall, another great design Doug! I've been carrying my MK1 every day since they came out, and have since bought a few for friends. One tactical friend of mine told me that it has redefined what he considers to be a good knife. That's saying something! This one will go with me anytime I am out in the wilds.

The only thing I think could be improved is the sheath. It has too many things on the back, apparently to hook on to every conceivable anchor point. Some of them I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with them. It's a bit too bulky for my taste.

Is anyone out there making sheaths for this yet? I don't really want to send it away for weeks for someone to use as a model. Something kydex or carbon fiber? I'd be interested if anyone finds one. I'll live with the given one until I find something I like better. It serves the purpose but a knife this cool deserves better!

#71848 - 08/23/06 12:42 PM Re: Got my RSK MK3!!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Thanks very much for the compliments.

I agree that the sheath is something of a compromise, but our research indicated that this style provides the most bang for the buck and appeals to the greatest number. You can cut of some of the excess flaps and such, and seal the edges with a lighter, just be careful. Those who prefer a Kydex or Conealsex sheath tend to have very particular ideas about how it should be constructed, attached, carry, etc. and are not very happy with compromises. As such we decided to leave that to the many excellent sheathmakers out there. Same for those who prefer leather. I am not aware of anyone who has yet made one, the knives are just now reaching customers.

Doug (remote BWI)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#71849 - 08/23/06 08:15 PM Re: Got my RSK MK3!!
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Someone at edcforums makes custom kydex sheaths. Might be what you're looking for.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.