I am often asked which PLB to get. My bottom line is that both McMurdo (British) and ACR (U.S.) PLBs performed equivalently in our last tests, that the models with internal GPS are definitely worth the extra money (approx $100) and that aside from weight, ergonomics, carry options and accessories, which is a personal preference sort of thing, price may be the determining factor.

In that regard, just rec'd some emails from ACR about their rebate program that I thought I would pass along, This isn't an endorsement of ACR's PLB vs. McMurdo, just providing this info if it helps you with your pricing purchase decision. These coupons offer a $75 rebate through August 31st from some of their dealers. This may make for a good deal, or not... Check around.

www.acrelectronics.com/mnrebate
www.acrelectronics.com/avrebate
www.acrelectronics.com/odrebate

Note that only significant difference between the three beacons, aviation (AeroFix), marine (AquaFix)and terrestrial (TerraFix), is the color of the holster and some accessories. The actual beacon is identical.

Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the non-profit Equipped To Survive Foundation if this information and the work we do is of value to you.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com