Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63097 - 03/30/06 07:31 PM Proctecting A Signal Mirror
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
As I'm finishing up one small PSK (no doubt pictures and contents will follow soon) I had a revelation. Instead of putting the 2x3 signal mirror that I pirated from my Ritter PSP inside the PSK, why not put it on the outside of my PSK container (an Otterbox 1000), attached to a paracord lanyard where it could be readily gotten to without having to dump out the contents of the tightly packed PSK. Yet doing so would subject the mirror to additional punishment and abuse, potentially scratching the surface and decreasing its effectiveness. The small film that came with the mirror is hardly adequate for such a storage method. I was thinking that duct tape would work quite well, placed over the reflective side of the mirror and then peeled off when needed. But I do have some concerns, namely duct tapes ability to leave residue which would block the mirror. Has anyone tried this before? Does this sound like a good idea?

#63098 - 03/30/06 07:34 PM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Why not 'back' the film that came with it with duct tape. Better protection and still handy and with the tape ON the FILM, you won't have to worry about residue on the mirror. Just a thought.

#63099 - 03/30/06 08:40 PM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Try a piece of bike inner tube can also be used for tinder or ranger bands

#63100 - 03/30/06 09:24 PM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
Try clear contact/shelving paper (contact brand). You can pick up a roll for around $5 at wally world. It is semi-transparent and heavier and more durable than the clear films that typically cover fragile surfaces. It is sticky enough to stay put, but can be removed without leaving a nasty residue.

I use this stuff on most of my flashlights as a poor man's diffuser. It removes the beam artifacts and leaves a better more consistant beam for work use.

I also use the contact paper as a poor man's laminate for business cards. I print up emergency lists, phone lists, etc on card stock in a business card format. I seal it up with the clear contact paper and put these in my wallet and all preparedness kits for a more durable solution.

If all else fails you can re-line your cupboards.

Good luck, TR

#63101 - 03/30/06 11:25 PM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
Coastie09 Offline

What are these "ranger bands" that I hear of often, and where can I get them?

#63102 - 03/30/06 11:31 PM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

well, you can buy them for a few dollars from one of the many on-line dealers.

OR

you can cut them from bicycle inner tubes, to the exact dimension you want. and 1 inner tube will give you dozens of "ranger bands" for the same price you would pay online for a pack of 5.

I do it the cheap way because I'm too po' to afford the "o" and "r".

david.

#63103 - 03/31/06 12:45 AM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Maybe wrapping paracord around the outside, snugging the mirror against the outside of the Otter Box? Although I don't know how well it would fit around the latch...

#63104 - 03/31/06 02:03 AM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Wrap the mirror with Glad's PressNSeal, then wrap duct tape over that. If you need it, the PressNSeal will peel off easily from the mirror surface. But if it's glass, that's not going to do much to prevent a sharp knock on a rock or metal corner.

Why do you think you would need it so quickly? Idle curiosity...

Sue

#63105 - 03/31/06 02:20 AM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
Coastie09 Offline

This kit that I am putting together is going to sea with me, on my person as part of a larger "offshore survival kit" a PSK for sea (one of my earlier posts). In a man overboard situation, since your best chance of being located by the ship occurs very soon after getting wet, I would like my signalling devices to be readily available without sacrificing the watertight integrity of the rest of the PSK.

#63106 - 03/31/06 03:25 AM Re: Proctecting A Signal Mirror
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A heavy zipper bag under the rangerbands to keep it from getting scratched, or a tyvek envelope if you can find one that fits.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.