Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#61830 - 03/12/06 09:10 PM Glasss or polycarbonate signal mirror?
ianjbs Offline

Just wondering what the pros and cons are. I have seen lists of supplies recomending either one or the other, but they did not explain why one over the other was recommended. I currently have a starflash, I believe it is called, and am hoping that it is sufficient. Thanks for the help. --Ian

#61831 - 03/12/06 09:58 PM Re: Glasss or polycarbonate signal mirror?
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
The glass models can break but you will have a better signaling capability.

The plastic models (Starflash, etc.) are pretty durable but scratch easier. You can cut a piece of PDA screen protector material to fit, or make your own small case.

Just depends on how rough you are on your equipment or where/how you plan to store it.

Any signal mirror is better than no signal mirror.

#61832 - 03/13/06 01:31 AM Re: Glasss or polycarbonate signal mirror?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
When selecting signal mirrors for myself and my kids I just couldn't justify the weight and shatter-risk of the glass mirrors. I went with the Adventure Medical Kits Rescue Flash mirror at http://www.basegear.com. This is the same mirror Doug used in his PSP.

Actually, each of us will carry a Ritter PSP (great gear for the $$), but I bought a few extra mirrors for us (and my Boy Scouts) to practice with so the PSPs stay intact. I know ... I'm weird.

By the way, I have a Starflash mirror somewhere around here too. It is a decent mirror. It should do you quite well.

Ken K.

#61833 - 03/13/06 11:57 AM Re: Glasss or polycarbonate signal mirror?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I'm also a fan of plastic mirrors.

Unlike glass, a cheaply made plastic mirror can warp, degrading signal output. Plastic mirrors don't have the same reflectivity as glass. Glass mirrors aren't buoyant; some plastic mirrors are, depending on construction. A glass mirror I've had for around 20 years got a dime-sized spot of corrosion at one corner, between glass layers, caused by moisture. Haven't with any of my plastics (but not saying couldn't happen under right conditions).

According to Rescue Reflectors, Inc., who's tested various makers' plastic mirror signal strength against same-size glass mirrors, plastics signal strength ranges from 14% to 85% of glass (majority in 14-67% range).

But, as cedfire so aptly put it, "Any signal mirror is better...."

Dan

#61834 - 03/13/06 05:36 PM Re: Glasss or polycarbonate signal mirror?
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Cody Lundin and Scott Kozakiewicz (ASU, REC 340, Outdoor Survival) recommend a glass survival mirror. The Ritter PSP mirror is as good as a glass mirror. I have a Star Flash. Take the Star Flash and a glass signal mirror of the same size a shine them on the side of a building. You will see a BIG difference. Use the sighting hole on both of them. The Ritter mirror works like a glass mirror. The Star Flash has a big fire ball that is hard to see past. The glass mirror has a fireball that is easy to aim with.

I have a 14 your old son in the Boy Scouts. He has a glass signal mirror. He is the kind of boy that breaks and looses almost everything he gets his hands on. He still makes a big mess at the table when he eats. The glass mirror comes in a foam pouch. We duct tape the pouch. We also put a cord on the mirror so it can be carried around the neck. The glass mirror is tough and not prohibitively heavy. The mirror, with foam pouch and cord weighs a back breaking, excruciating; 2.3 ounces. Try it yourself, you will see.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.