It's winter, it's freezing cold, and what better time to re-evaluate the overall level of preparedness around here?

In consideration of the things I've seen and done in the last 12 months, I've taken a top-to-bottom look at everything from EDC to LTS (That's "Every Day Carry" and "Long Term Survival" for those of you just joining us.

My preparedness comes with a certain duality - as a fire/rescue guy, I tend to get into situations that not everyone will encounter - like taking a boat out on a 35 degree river from sunup to sun down in search of a dead body, or spending 7 hours standing outdoors waiting for the electric utility to come shut off the power to the downed pole. These are "real" preparedness situations, you actually DO need to have some means of signalling, keeping warm and all that, because it's freaking cold, and wet and getting dark and pretty rotten out. You want to know about preventing hypothermia? Come stand in the rain for 7 hours with me when it's 34 degrees out. If that does not make you an expert, I'll load you in the ambulance myself.

As a suburban dad, well, I have all that "dad" stuff you gotta deal with, especially with kids, an SUV, a minivan and the usual assortment of car seats, snack foods and so forth.

So, in looking things over for the last year, here's some of the changes I've made.

EDC
----
Out - Innova X5
In - AA Maglight with LED retrofit
Why? I lost the X5 in the Delaware river, and when I thought about loosing another $45 light, I decided to go with the less-cool, but decidedly cheaper and equally bright Maglight with retrofit LED. Skip the end-cap switch, though, and use the normal twist-on method.

Out - Leatherman Wave (old edition)
In - Leatherman Wave (current edition)
Why? Just an upgrade to the old model. The new wave has a pretty good tool set, although it's just slightly too fat and easy fit into my Pock-Its pouch.

Out - Traditional Sharpie
In - Industrial Sharpie
Why? Better ink formulation, less problems with water and wet surfaces.

Out - Verizon LG 8000 Cell phone
In - Tracfone Nokia 1100 Cell phone
Why? With 16 DAYS (yes, DAYS) of standby time, ultra-light construction and a proven track record of putting up with abuse (mine went through the wash - and still works) the phone itself is fine. And the pay for only what you use model is fantastic. Top off a phone with a 1 year card and you don't have to worry.

In - Flat Duct Tape
Out - N/A - was always in EDC
Why? I just like having duct tape. It's a great thing.Currently waiting for "Gorilla" brand flat duct tape pack.

In - Medic Shears
Out - N/A was always in EDC
Why? Medic shears are obviously alien technology. What other $4 piece of hardware do YOU know of that can cut clothing, seat belts, leather, a PENNY and then cut paper? I use these frequently - as wire cutters, as scissors, and, yes, as medic shears.

In - Purel hand Sanitizer, mini-bottle
Out - Nothing, this is an addition.
Why? Because I've learned my lesson after getting some freaky illness at a hospital during a visit to my dad. Never again.

DAD BAG
The Dad Bag is the answer to the Mom Bag, which is known in some corners as a diaper bag. The contents are ever-changing, however there's a stable base of stuff in there that's really handy, over and over.

Water - at least 2x .5 liter bottles. Why 2? So when the 6 year old and 2 year old both want a water bottle, I'm ready.

MRE main meal - amazing how handy this can be.

Glow-Sticks. Nothing calms a crabby toddler like a glow stick. Have at least 2 for the crabby toddler's playmate.

Bandanas (4) - Cleans puke, chocolate, and more. How did you ever live without it?

A book - no batteries, no USB ports. Just a book.

A small first aid kit with Instant Ice Pack.

Complete change of clothes for the baby.

Diaper

Wipes

Jeep Bag
--------
The Jeep Bag normally lives in the Jeep. Thus the name. The Jeep Bag is like a jeep - it goes anywhere. The Jeep bag has evolved quite a bit from it's original "Bug Out Bag" role and has gotten quite a bit of use over the last year. It's a North Face "Recon" bag and the core set of items in it are:

- A complete change of clothes.
- Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hair Brush, Handtowel
- A decent first aid kit
- A mini-trauma/burn kit (large gauze, burn gel, bleeding stopper powder, SAM splint)
- 2X Motorola GMRS/FRS/WX Radios
- 16X Lithium AA Cells
- Rain Poncho (Nylon)
= Rite In the Rain Note Pad & Pencil
- Space All-Weather Blanket
- 100' Orange Para-Cord
- Two 1 liter water bottles
- Hot Hands Hand Warmers
- Pens, Pencils and Markers
- Trail Tape
- Magfire Pro & Tinder (Dryer Lint + WD-40 in a film can)
- 2 Rolls Flat Duct Tape
- LED Flashlight (Garrity AA model, Wal-Mart)
- Leatherman Wave Tool (a Backup for the one on my belt)
- Bic Lighters (2 or 3 minis)
- Granola Bars
- Mint Candies
- MRE Mail Meals (2 Pouches)
- Plastic Knife & Fork (Strong camping kind)
- 2X Rescue Carabineers
- 50' 1" Tubular webbing

This bag gets quite a bit of use.

HOME/LTS
--------
We added water, subtracted some heavy tools, added gasoline (stored outdoors, of course), added firearm(s) & ammo, subtracted AM/FM radio, replaced with AM/FM/Weatherband with SAME. Decreased "digital dependency" and printed out contact lists, passwords and similar data. Made copies of important data, got bigger fire safe.

VEHICLES
--------
All vehicles got an upgraded set of 20' #4 wire jumper cables and a 400 AMP battery box. Added blankets to all vehicles for winter, and updated national maps.

that's all for now.