The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50875 - 10/01/05 05:28 PM Greetings from Fallujah
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Hello all. I know I should be searching for this but my time on the net is limited, so I am going to ask for some patience. I am finding myself in need of a good flashlight. I have a Maglite with an LED bul replacement, but I want to take it up a notch. I want a surefire type light (bright) around the same size as a MagLIte. I also want to have one thing, and that is a tail cap click switch.

Any suggestions would be great, and price is an option (under 100$)

Thanks in advance

Garrett

#50876 - 10/01/05 05:55 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
Marc Offline
Journeyman

It depends on what you want it for...but as you say you have limited net time so I will give you a start. Try these:

1xCR123A $29.00
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=973

2xCR123A with a 2 stage switch low/high $42.50
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=816

or its brighter brother without the 2 stage $64.50
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=981

Although, if you want to burn retinas, I am told surefires are the best. Check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com for some excellent reviews.

P.S. I have no association with the linked sites in anyway shape or form.

Marc

#50877 - 10/01/05 06:31 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hi Garrett,

Marc is right. To give a good answer It depends on how you plan to use the light.

Do you have access to 123A batteries for example? Do you plan to use this for utility, or for combat? With a longarm?

The answers can be pretty different based on your use.

Please check out this thread on Candlepowerforums.com: IRAQ/Military Deployment Lights.

Also check out: Need help w/ light for Iraq

If pushed to make a recommendation w/o information, I'd probably suggest the Surefire G2. It is a good, rugged, basic but bright light that takes 2x123A batteries. It has a very good beam pattern and you can't go wrong for the price ($35). With the saved cash, I'd consider getting some accessors and batteries as well as perhaps a spare light.

Let us know more details and we can give you a better recommendation.

Be safe!

-john

Edit: Oh, I didn't see your request for a "clickie" type tailcap. The SF Z48 and Z49 tailcaps will fit the G2 and are high quality clickie style tailcaps. The only difference is the color. Note they aren't cheap, so they will add to the price of your light. But, I would avoid getting one for your spare light. I know this is pushing your budget, but consider:

$35 (1) SF G2
$37 (1) SF Z48 "clickie" tailcap
$11 (1) SF Z33 Lanyard kit
$28 (1) SF FM35 Red "tipoff" Filter
----------------------
$111

A spare bulb is $17 (P60 spare lamp assembly) but the light is $35. You should get a spare bulb at the very least, but as I was saying, at the price you might as well get a second light if you can swing it.

You should take some batteries. The SF SC1 spares carrier is top notch and will VERY securely (and it's waterproof) provide storage for 6 batteries and a spare bulb, however you might want to take more batteries than that.

Batterystation.com has deals with their brand batteries combined with storage cases which might be a good way to go.

Either way, make sure you buy your 123A batteries online. Surefire brand are $15 for qty 12 and the Batterystation brand are near $1 ea. If you buy them locally you could be looking at $6 ea!

Edit2: Oh, check out this thread as well: Operation Enlightenment it sounds like some folks are trying to get GIs lights at reduced prices.

Edited by JohnN (10/01/05 07:15 PM)

#50878 - 10/01/05 11:49 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Garrett,

You may want to consider the Inova T3. Here are the specs:

Battery Type - 123 Lithium
Battery Number - 2, 3V Lithium included
Dimensions - 6.25" L x 1.25" head dia.
Lamp Type - 3 Watt LED, White
Light Output - 85 lumens
Weight w/ Batteries - 4.8 ounces
Run Time - 2 hours full brightness
Focus Type - Wide
On/Off - Tailcap Switch
Material - Aluminum
Made in USA

They're great lights if the battery type and LED suit your needs. They're available from brightguy.com for 62.95. I hope this helps.

Steve

#50879 - 10/02/05 12:31 AM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
How about a Surefire 6P ($56):

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/889/sesent/00

Only problem I could see with a Surefire G2 is that it doesn't have the lock-out tailcap (to prevent the light from coming on by accident), while the 6P does. Not sure how the "clickie" style tailcap would affect that on either model.

Stay safe over there.

#50880 - 10/02/05 12:34 AM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

All new G2s have a LOTC.

The Z48/Z49 tailcaps can be used on both the G2 or the 6P.

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/02/05 12:38 AM)

#50881 - 10/02/05 09:58 AM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hey Garrett,

Check the PX. I think I saw they are carrying the G2 Nitrolon in stock for like $25 or so. It has the tailcap switch you are looking for. I am down in the "Impact Zone" in Baghdad. I'll say I'd rather be here than Fallujah. I hate that area. I have to go to Tikrit and then Taji over the next two months.

All I have is a Dorcy 1 Watt Luxeon head lamp, a pair of 3 LED wind up flashlights, an Innova red LED on my Badge holder around my neck, and a 3 LED back up 2AA palm light. I had a Surefire L2, but gave it to another soldier because I didn't need anything that bright and I think he did. You won't find an L2 for less than $100 I think.

Stay frosty up there. The BGs are everywhere.

#50882 - 10/02/05 12:41 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Benjamin: They have the G-2 here, but the tail cap is not click on and off. If I am going to get something like this, then I am going to get exaclty what I want. I saw them in the PX and a friend bought one and let me play with it. It is nice and the price is right, but I really would prefer the tail cap that allows you to lock out and has the click on and off. ALthough, I have throught about getting the light and then getting the additional tail cap becuase it will still be less than some of the other models.

EVERYONE else: THanks for the help. I am going to look into some of the suggestions you guys have given me, although I am definately leaning toward a surefire, I just dont know which one.

Has anyone looked at the new gerber lights with the different color filters in the lens area? I dont know what they are called.

Thanks again, you guys are the best on the net.

Garrett

#50883 - 10/02/05 04:48 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:

Benjamin: They have the G-2 here, but the tail cap is not click on and off. If I am going to get something like this, then I am going to get exaclty what I want. I saw them in the PX and a friend bought one and let me play with it. It is nice and the price is right, but I really would prefer the tail cap that allows you to lock out and has the click on and off. Although, I have throught about getting the light and then getting the additional tail cap becuase it will still be less than some of the other models.

Regardless of which SF light you get, you are probably going to have to purchase the clickie style tailcap seperately. Most lights like the 6P and the G2 do not come with a clickie, you have to purchase it seperately. There are a few exceptions, but they are very few.

One exception is the SF E2e which now comes with a clickie. This light is as bright as the 6P and G2, but has a more diffuse beam. Since the clickie tailcap is a new feature on that model, there are lots of them already in the retail channel that have the non-clickie tailcap. Make sure you handle the light in question to confirm it has the correct tailcap.

There is also slip-on red filter for this light, the SF F05 red filter.

The E2e is a nice light, but it will eat up your entire budget (perhaps they are a bit cheaper at the PXes) and I suspect the "full sized" lights like the G2 and 6P might be easier to handle and more robust. If you click the tailcap on the E2e vs the Z48 tailcap, you'll see what I mean. The Z48 feels really nice and robust and the E2e is kind of corse and chinsy feeling in comparison.

Quote:

EVERYONE else: THanks for the help. I am going to look into some of the suggestions you guys have given me, although I am definately leaning toward a surefire, I just dont know which one.

Keep in mind that the G2 and the 6P have exactly the same lamp assembly and thus the same brightness and beam pattern. The only real difference is the 6P is aluminum and has a glass lens and the G2 is "Nitrolon" which is a glass filled polymer with a lexan lens if I recall correctly. Nitrolon has proven itself to be very tough stuff. G2=4.1 oz, 6P=5.3 oz.

Both are considered very robust and reliable lights and the beam quality is top notch and the lights are quite bright.

Even the higher end combat lights like the M2 have about the same brightness beam and the main difference is the construction is more robust. For example, the M2 has a "shock-absorber" built in to protect the lamp assembly. This light has slightly different beam pattern but not by much. In the end, it is the same brightness, but more robust.

The SF E2e is also about the same brightness, but because of the smaller form factor, it has a smaller reflector and thus has a less focused beam.

So in general, all the SF two cell lights have similar brightness and beams. The main differences are in constructions and features (like the shock isolation of the M2). But this considered, it does make the G2 a killer deal.

In general, you there are no "bad" choices with the SF lights.

Quote:

Has anyone looked at the new gerber lights with the different color filters in the lens area? I dont know what they are called.

I think you are refering to the Gerber Recon. In the IRAQ Military Deployment lights thread, ob1 writes:

Quote:

I do not own the Gerber Recon but a guy in my company does. He brought it out here to Iraq with him and I had the chance to try it out.

I was pretty disappointed by the brightness of it. My 3 LED Peak Mattrhorn totally outshined it on the white mode. I do like the idea of being able use red/blue/green all in one light, I only wish it was brighter.

The size, it is way too large to wear on 550 cord around your neck(Where I wear my EDC Peak 3 LED matterhorn)

If you are looking for a supplimental red light and you don't want to use a red filter for your primary light, you might consider the Gerber Infinity, Red LED ($17.50). Small, robust and long running.

Is there a need for a color other than red?

Garrett, if you could tell us how you plan to use the light it would be helpful in giving you better advice.

Be safe,

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/02/05 04:55 PM)

#50884 - 10/02/05 05:13 PM Re: Greetings from Fallujah
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:

All new G2s have a LOTC.

The Z48/Z49 tailcaps can be used on both the G2 or the 6P.

I just wanted to expand on this a little bit to make sure there is no confusion.

LOTC stands for lock out tailcap. This simply means the ability to prevent accidental activation. The way Surefire implements this typically (I can't think of any exceptions) is to allow the tailcap to be unscrewed enough so that it cannot be activated.

As far as I can tell, all current Surefire models have this feature, including all the models we having been talking about: G2, 6P, and E2e.

However, until semi-recently, the G2 did not have this feature. While Surefire has been shipping the revised G2 units for quite a while now, it is possible there are some in the retail channel that still do not have this feature.

This thread talks about how to tell if a given G2 has the older, non-LOTC model or the current LOTC model. The easiest way to tell is to remove the tailcap and press the button. If the guts of the tailcap fall out, it is the old, non-LOTC model. The tailcap of the LOTC model is also slightly longer, but this doesn't help unless you have both models side-by-side to compare.

The other issue is the click-on-click-off feature. Most flashlight geeks call this a "clickie" tailcap. Only a very few SF models come with this feature (E2e, U2), but almost all of the models can be retrofitted with an optional tailcap (the main exception are the two stage lights like the L1, L2 and A2 which are incompatible with the clickie style tailcaps).

The SF G2, 6P and M2 lights can be fitted with the Z48 or Z49 tailcap to provide this feature (only difference is color) and older E2e or E1e lights which shipped without this feature can be retrofitted with the Z57 or Z61 tailcaps (again, only difference is color). All can be seen on SF's website.

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/02/05 05:17 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.