The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#49184 - 09/16/05 05:33 PM Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3
Alejandro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Caracas - Venezuela
Hi Guys,
I just received my new Ontario RAT 3. It is a very handsome knife that seems strong and durable, however I will like to see it performing.
Does any one of you own one of this? What do you think about it?
Thanks + Regards
PS: I had the opportunity to attend, just for mistake because I was just working there, to the blade show in Atlanta on June and meet Doug, very nice guy he took his time to show me the new RSK, which by the way I plan get on my next trip to the US.

#49185 - 09/16/05 08:26 PM Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I own the TAK in D2, a slightly bigger knife. It came with a rough ground edge, but it was easy enough to put a good edge on it. I finally got a chance to use it camping a few weeks ago. I split birch logs with my old favorite hatchet, the new Gerber mini-hatchet, and the TAK. I was surprised that batoning with the TAK split logs easier than my old favorite hatchet! The new Gerber pretty much sucked completely.

#49186 - 09/17/05 06:40 AM Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I was looking at the RTAK for a long time. I think the Rat knives are more than adequate for most any rough duty knife job. I decided that the Swamp Rat Knives were probably superior and ordered a Battle Rat instead. It cost a bit more, but I think they have got just about the best steel/processing for the type of work a knife like that will do. They've had good reviews everywhere I've looked, whereas the Rat knives haven't fared quite as well. Don't get me wrong, I think both companies are making good products (not related, by the way, Swamp Rat is kin to the Busse knife mfr). You will get your money's worth with either line. IMO, Swamp Rat is superior, and you will likewise pay more for that. They also have a larger product line.

#49187 - 09/21/05 01:35 AM Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I havea Rat 3. In short I love the knife but hate the coating. I removed the coating from mine and it's great now. Removing the coating and adding a 30* back bevel made it much better for working with wood.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.