Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#43155 - 07/07/05 11:32 AM terrorism in London & urban survival
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Multiple explosions in London this morning; apparently from terrorism:

Link

Does this move any of us to refocus on our urban survival strategies? I know I'm thinking hard on that right now.

#43156 - 07/07/05 01:00 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Two things come to mind with this. Explosions will kill the lights and fill the area with smoke. Hence you have darkness and an environment filled with choking smoke to deal with.

That's why I carry a SureFire E2e and N95 Particulate Filters everyday. The SureFire is on my person. The filters are in my shoulder bag. I also have two bandannas on my person.

Should I survive the initial explosion and be ambulatory, I would hopefully be able to breathe and see well enough to escape.

-- Craig

#43157 - 07/07/05 01:19 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Loew's has an N95 filter impregnated with charcoal which I have been carrying. The charcoal should be a step up from the normal N95. You may also want to get some kind of air-tight goggle for smoke. I bought a cheap (about $6.00) pair of speedo swim goggles to carry in my pack, since I take the commuter rail and subway. I keep the filter, goggles, nomex hood, light, and gloves in an outside pocket of the pack.

#43158 - 07/07/05 01:46 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Does anyone have an answer to this: Is the the smoke filtering effectiveness of the N95 helped or hindered by making it wet? I've heard that a plain bandanna is made more effective, but with a charcoal filter, what's the effect?

#43159 - 07/07/05 02:09 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I saw some victims wearing what appears to be space blankets on tv. I'm really wondering what is the use of these in this situation.

Frankie

#43160 - 07/07/05 02:27 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
It will be wet soon enough with sweat!!

#43161 - 07/07/05 03:07 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Ever since the train bombings in Madrid in March of last year and the Kings Cross fire, London, fires on a train or the metro are an ever present thought.

I spent over 90 mintues commuting each way to work on the Parisian metro. To that end I carry two bandanas and two torches. I just feel that maybe I should upgrade and go for the EVACU 8+ system. At least I'll have more than a fair chance of getting past the smoke. If I'm still breathing and upright of course.

Interesting to note though there didn't seem to be much in the way of fire reported or smoke for that matter, or is it still to early to get the full picture.

#43162 - 07/07/05 03:39 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
This incident as well as train bombing in Madrid and the World Trade Center attack on 9/11 have all made me consider the following items in my EDC. By EDC I mean actually "on my person" rather than in a vehicle or a desk drawer etc.

Leatherman Wave
N95/N100 Masks
Duct Tape for sealing the masks (I tend to be a little scruffy in the facial hair dept)
Surefire Flashlight

None of these items have been added to my EDC but like I said, I have "considered" adding all of them as a result of each of the above-mentioned situations.

The Leatherman Wave, N95 Masks and Duct Tape still sit in my vehicle (which would render them useless to me if I were involved in any of the above-mentioned incidents) and I don't even own a Surefire Flashlight.

My current EDC is a Large Regular Sebenza, a Photon II LED light and a Mini Bic Lighter, none of which would probably be nearly as useful in such situations.

#43163 - 07/07/05 04:03 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:
Interesting to note though there didn't seem to be much in the way of fire reported or smoke for that matter, or is it still to early to get the full picture.

I suspect it varied. I saw on the (tv) news one victim reporting choking smoke and darkness.

Agree about the filters and light. I've carried both since 9/11.

Regarding charcoal filters. It should help against yucky stuff in air other than dust, but it seems like it might clog faster. Since they are small, perhaps it would be best to bring a couple without charcoal, and a couple with. That way you can switch to whatever works best.

If the smoke is really bad, I can see any good filter device clogging up pretty fast. Maybe having a bandana as well might be a good fall back plan in case less effective, but less easily clogged might be better.

Perhaps one of the fire fighters might have some wisdom here?

FWIW, my dad just arrived in London and his friend was commuting to pick him up when this happened. Luckly they were all fine, but he is still stranded at the airport (no big deal). Funny how he had to travel half way around the world (from Alaska) just in time to get caught up in this mess.

Certainly, I think being stranded wherever you happen to be with whatever you happen to have on you is a part of this kind of thing, even if you aren't directly involved. Hopefully people will start to consider they should be more prepared.

In any case, can anyone tell us more about the EVACU 8+ system? I assume it is a passive filter and not a fresh air system? I wonder how long they will last? I wonder if there is any trouble taking them through security, etc?

Thanks,

-john

#43164 - 07/07/05 04:12 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.