Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28443 - 06/22/04 04:52 AM Coghlan's imitations
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi everyone,
I've bought a Coghlan's orange match safe with O-ring and tested it as Lundin suggest it: by submerging it with one match in a glass of water for 30 min. The result was a completely damped match. What is the good brand for that quality orange match safe?
I also want to buy a magnesium fire starting tool and I've read that Coghlan's rod is not solid compared to Doan's one. I may buy one just to experiment with magnesium though.
When I visit the "army supplies" in Montréal and the camping sections of the stores here, all I find is Coghlans stuff and false parachute cord. Everything is Coghlan, the matches, the mag. bars, the space blankets, the signaling mirrors. The only brand thing I can find easily is Nalgene bottles.

#28444 - 06/22/04 06:29 AM Re: Coghlan's imitations
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You may want to order some equipment from the better mail order suppliers in the USA. The exchange rate is in your favour right now also. Coughlans is Canadian, so they have the advantage. Have you tried SIR mailorder? They have lots of gear from the US.

#28445 - 06/22/04 04:55 PM Re: Coghlan's imitations
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Hi Christ, thank you for the link. Actually I'm planning on mail ordering some gear from TAD gear: Doan magnesium bar; NATO issue lifeboat matches; Spark-Lite orange; SAS survival button compass (but I'm not sure) and finally some Sentry Solution Tuf-Cloth. I'm also planning on ordering one or two Mora knives and I also want to order parachute cord but I'm not sure from which supplier. And I also want to get a Photon microlight. I'm hesitating between the microlight II or the Freedom which seems great.

#28446 - 06/22/04 05:13 PM Re: Coghlan's imitations
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I get my Moras from www.ragweedforge.com Ragnar has excellent service. If you find a few dealers who are honest with good quality stay with them. I learned you never save enough money to justify price comparisons and multiple merchants. They either make it up in excessive S/H or overcharge for something else. On any major purchase ( and in today's economy, a Starbucks coffee is a major purchase for me,) read all you can. Even classic gear can be suddenly cheapened and sold on name value. The recently revived Marbles knives for example. Marvelous collectors and a decent rebith at first. Now whats on the shelf are horrid.

#28447 - 06/22/04 05:14 PM Re: Coghlan's imitations
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Frankie:

On that orange match safe, before you give up on it, there may be a cheap fix.

If the "O" ring is at the bottom of the threading so that it seals when the screw on cap butts against it, get a slightly thicker "O" ring with the same inside diameter. This will allow the new "O" ring to fit over the throat of the match safe, and the thicker "O" ring will contact the cap sooner and effect a better seal.

The other method is if the "O" ring fits on a groove on the throat of the match safe. You can buy a bigger inside diameter "O" ring that will seal by the cap butting against it, or you can wrap teflon plumbing tape sealer around the upper part of the "O" ring so that the cap squishs the teflon tape onto the "O" ring as you screw the cap down. With the teflon tape method, you will have to redo the tape every time you open the match case.

Easiest method is to wrap the match safe in plastic sandwich wrap. If you are under water (Assuming you have the match safe on your person.) long enough for the water to work its way through the Saran wrap, you will probably need a priest and not dry matches.

You can buy "O" rings of different thicknesses and diameters in Auto supply houses, hardware stores, and bearing supply houses.

Good luck!

Bountyhunter

#28448 - 06/22/04 05:50 PM Re: Coghlan's imitations
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I just bought myself a Photon Freedom. Personally, I love it.

#28449 - 06/23/04 06:16 PM Mora knives
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Hi Chris, btw I'm curious to know which number of Eriksson's knives do you find the most relevant for survival and all purpose use? I was thinking about the #1 and the #731 (Doug's recommendation). I think I will buy both stainless steel and carbon steel blades.
I also think I'm going to order a survival pak for an extra Spark-Lite, the wire, the button compass, the whistle and the mirror. Is it worth to spend $30 for the SAS button compass?
Frankie

#28450 - 06/23/04 07:03 PM Re: Mora knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you were to buy these items seperately $30 wouldn't cover the expense: So yes, it's a smart move. Are you new to knives? The #731 has a far safer handle with the slight guard and stickier handle material. #1s can get real slippery. Still, they are one of the few carbon steel knives with sufficient Rockwell to produce sparks with natural stones; a minor, but relevant skill and firemaking option. If you get one, lightly file the spine. As new, flints tend to skip along the slick surface. The Moras all share a basic design except for size and S/S or carbon steels. I love them for the razor sharp edge, ease of sharpening ( and learning to sharpen) and cheap cost! I don't mind nearly so much losing or abusing these. I have several dispersed in my kits, and one as a constant neck knife. You may want to add a more substantial knife later. Whatever your choice, the Moras will give you a suprising measure to guage that choice by! Canadien Mors Kochanski carries Moras along with an axe. His Bushcraft book is excellent instruction in using both.

#28451 - 06/24/04 01:32 AM Re: Mora knives
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Yes Chris, I'm pretty new to knives. I remember I once bought a $10 Rambo style knife with hollow handle and a fishing kit inside with a compass on the screwing butt when I was in my pre-teen. It was in the early 1980s and me and my colleges had just seen the Silvester Stallone movie. I once tried to throw it on a tree trunk and the blade became shaky because it wasn't full-tang (I was also a fan of Sho Kosugi Ninja movies)... I think my parents still have it in their attic. Besides that I don't have much experience and I'm rather new at survival techniques in general.

So thanks for the precious info. When you say "they have sufficient Rockwell" do you mean they are hard enough? And also, I'm wondering what are the "clippers" from the Frosts company, what do they mean by clipper (you know, models with red butt...)? And also, I just found and bought a DMT mini-sharp fine at the Mountain Equipment Co-op here in Montréal. Will it be enough and suitable for these carbon and stainless steel swedish knives? (or do I also need the coarse one or finer...?)

Thank you.

#28452 - 06/24/04 02:09 AM Re: Mora knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Frankie, Rockwell is the scale used to rate steel hardness. Some knives will be differentialy tempered, with parts of the blade and tang ranging from soft to very hard. The carbon Moras' high R enables natural flint sparking. The flint ignites the carbon molecules from the blade material. Anything softer than 58-60 and the flint merely gouges the material. Moras have this high R in the blade, and a relatively soft tang. You will eventually bend one, or even get one with a few degrees 'prebent.' They bend back easily. Good knives start out very sharp. With care there is no reason to need anything beyond a fine sharpening surface. You may want to pick up a fine ceramic rod and just 'steel' your knives most of the time. This is actually straightening minute warps and not removing material. Again, www.ragweedforge.com has a basic primer on sharpening scandi knives. www.bladeforums.com and www.knifeforums.com are a goldmine of sharpening information. Clipper is just a name frost uses. "Mora" is actually a region in Sweden and the name a generic term for their knives. The red handled knife is actually made by a few companies and are like buying disposable lighters over there. Again, these are so inexpensive you can learn to sharpen and handle them without great investment. Eventually you may want to upgrade to a more robust knife. The Moras are popular with many outdoor/survival schools for basic use and instruction for these same reasons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.