Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#23818 - 01/29/04 07:07 AM Falling Trees (See Pr. Lost Post,-Svl.Frm.,-p.185)
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Concerning Presumed Lost's Post, -"And There was No One to Hear It", -on page 185 of this Forum,

( I'm Uncertain whether I shud Pull a Post / Thread from that Far Back up to Now, -by Directly Posting to that Thread.),

I'd like to mention that I too, have Experienced such a Large Tree just Crashing Down! -Right in the Midst of a Perfectly Still, Windless, Sunny, Mid-Summer Afternoon! As I was Walking Thru those Woods that I spoke of Having Cleared,-( which I've spoken on over on the Campfire Forum.),-This Suddenly Happened. Similar to his Description, I All of a Sudden heard this Loud Crashing!, -Amidst All the Peaceful Quiet!

It was Off toward my Front Left, -perhaps only Several Hundred Feet away. Not happening to be looking in just that Direction at the Moment,-I did not witness the actual Fall. Interveneing Trees also Interfered a Lot.

But after a second or two's, of -"What's Happening?!" Curiosity and Surprise,-You immeadiately know what it is. It Still Intrigues you,-though! -The -"Now Why did it Do that?!", sort of Feeling! There Isn't the Slightest Stir! Presumed and I know the Feeling Perfectly!

I'm Sure some Others of you know this Feeling / Have Had this Experience, as Well.

I've Experienced several reasonably Near (Sizeable) Branch Falls too,-During my many times in the Woods. Also just Out of the Blue!, in the Midst of a Perfectly Calm day.

We all know Branches occassionally Fall, but that's the Key Word there, -Occassionally- and I'll also Add, -Quite Rarely. I'd say it would be more common, than Out of the Blue, Calm Day, Tree Falls.

My Experience occurred on a reasonably Steep Sloped area, which Didn't have exactly the Best Soil Hold in the world! (Nor the Worst), -but Presumed's and Other's Cases may well have been on Better / to Perfectly Good, Soils.

As He said there, We All know to Avoid Setting Down or Pitching Camp under or aside Dead or Weak Trees /Branches, -the Widowmakers, as they are called.

But as Presumed says so well there, Let's be Aware and Beware!, -of Many Other, Perfectly Normal appearing Trees too! Even when there be Not the Slightest Breeze!

I know we can't be Watching Out for every tree we pass!, but it's something to Keep More than a Little in Mind!

See His Post and Thread on page 185 for More.

[color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (01/29/04 08:11 PM)

#23819 - 01/31/04 03:00 AM Re: Falling Trees (See Pr. Lost Post,-Svl.Frm.,-p.185)
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Keep in mind that these "Page Numbers" will Steadily Increase as time goes on. A Week or so Ago, we had 255 pages in this Forum. Last Nite I noticed 258. Of course we know Why. As we Regularly increase in our First Few Pages of this Forum, -"page" numbers concerning a Given Post or Thread Increase Thruout!

It's something that you may have Not previously Thot of or Noticed, either. Just so you're Now Aware. Allow for this, as the Future Continues to Pass, -regarding This P.L. Post or any Other. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.