Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#21540 - 11/18/03 11:07 PM New Radio, Repacked DCB
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I recently upgrade my Ham radio kit and repacked my daily carry bag. I replaced my old handheld 2m transceiver (Icom 2GAT, 7w, 2m) with a triband handheld of current technology (Icom T90a, 5w, 6m/2m/70cm). This new radio is about the size of hyper Altoids tin. It, with its battery is smaller and lighter than one of my high capacity NiCads for the old radio. I used to carry 3 NiCads and one 6 cell AA pack for the old transceiver. The new one I carry 2 Li-Ion packs and one 2 cell-AA pack. I carried a short rubber duck and a 5/8 wave antenna for the old radio, I will carry a short duck (in picture) and a gain antenna for the new one (not yet here).

Here is the old setup, including a small SW/AM/FM receiver.

And the new one, eliminating the SW receiver as this handheld receives much of what the small Sony did plus TV bands (TV is valuable for entertainment not emergency IMHO though).

My packed carry bag:

Carry bag contents:

Radio, antenna(s), speaker/mic, extra Li-Ion and AA packs, manual, repeater directory, earphones, 12-AA batteries, 6-CR123A batteries and spare lamp (for SureFire), Becker CU7, waterbag, city maps, bus schedule, wallet and money including 3 rolls of gold dollars (these I will not impulsively spend, black stuff sack), poncho, paracord, cup, tea, digital camera with manual, extra battery and card (green pouch), tripod, PSK, dust masks, safety glasses, bandana, firekit, Potable Aqua (in firekit zipper pouch), signal mirror-Hotspark-small knife (in leather pocket pouch), moleskin, ACS notebook, emergency contact list, rescue knife…..whew.

Not a light load, but significantly lighter with new radio gear.

#21541 - 11/20/03 12:09 PM Re: New Radio, Repacked DCB
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
OUCH...All of this must weigh ??? I would be interested to know how much and have you caonsidered a backpack? Though this gives me a better perspective on this type of kit. I am trying to keep the weight in mine to under 20 pounds. So far I have it down to 22.55 pounds.

#21542 - 11/20/03 12:24 PM Re: New Radio, Repacked DCB
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Unless I missed it... I don't see any FAK items on yoru list except for MoleSkin. Is this right? Besides that this is a pretty nice kit.

Matt

#21543 - 11/20/03 08:45 PM Re: New Radio, Repacked DCB
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Thanks for the comments.

Total weight...not positive, but around 15lbs estimated, I know I am below 20lbs. New radio gear reduced total by at least 3-4 lbs. Note: this bag contains some items for daily use like the camera and tabletop tripod that are for "entertainment" only. I usually also have a book stuffed in the back pocket etc.

I have a backpack that could be used, but I much prefer the shoulder bag as it functions as my HAM base station "desk" if you will, it carries easily and fits into my work environment better than a backpack.

Small FAK is part of my on-body kit and coat kit, not shoulder bag. This has the moleskin, a large pill fob with aspirin and other daily medications only. This could stand some beefing up....also without too much additional weight.....good point.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.