Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17237 - 06/21/03 03:08 PM tick removal
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i have always learned to slide a sharp thin blade ( scalpel, small SAK blade, etc. ) under the ticks butt and move the blade to the head side and stop before you reach the mouth and than raising it ( i never had to do that, though... ). But almost ever place i see/read people cover ticks with someting so they will release there heads, but since covering a tick will starf the tick from oxigion, the tick will inject nasty stuff in to you wenn they are making a run for it. atleast that what i have learned. SO why is everyone still covering ticks with stuff ? or did i just learned it the wrong way ?

#17238 - 06/21/03 03:30 PM Re: tick removal
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are several dedicated tick removal tools on the outdoor market. When a tick attaches itself to a host, a very elaborate anchoring proboscis is buried in tissue.The tick then engorges on blood before dropping off to lay eggs and die. Ticks carry several diseases, most well known in the U.S. being lymne disease. Animals can become so infested they develop 'tick fever' or anemia so severe death may follow. Permanent mutilation of ears can be oserved in many free range horses. The best way to remove ticks is slow removal including the proboscis. This will result in a small wound with the removal of anchored flesh. This actually helps in letting blood flow and a followup of clean water or antiseptic to irrigate and cleanse the wound. Oils and other suffocates are a waste of time.

#17239 - 06/21/03 04:10 PM Re: tick removal
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
I've removed ticks with heat and tweezers, but not by suffocation.

Strike a match and then blow it out. While the match head is still hot, hold it near the tick. Be carefull not to burn yourself. the tick should release it's grip or die. it generally releases its grip, before I remove it easily with tweezers.

I then proceed to squash it.

#17240 - 06/21/03 04:11 PM Re: tick removal
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Using a dedicated tool would be preferable to the blade method. When you use the blade, you could break the tick and leave some parts in the tissue (according to my sources thatīs still better than leaving it attached).
Many people use oil to suffocate the tick. That softens the skin and makes it easier to remove the tick. The disadvantage is that you increase the risk of an infection as you stated. Therefore this method is obsolete.
New first aid information doesnīt spread too fast so itīs no surprise that a lot of obsolete information is still in use.

#17241 - 06/22/03 12:32 PM Re: tick removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi PC2K,

here in Germany the newest method to remove a tick is to use tick removal tools as Chris mentioned or tweezers. You should take hold of their head with those tools, turn them a little bit around (direction doesn't matter) to release their bite and pull them out slowly. If you use oil, glue or heat the tick will eject it's intestine contents directly into your blood. Then you maybe get meningitis or lyme disease. Some weeks ago here in German tv there was a reportage about a new way to handle the problem in the U.S.: They trap the animals infested by ticks and vaccinate them, so the ticks can't lay their eggs nor brood them. It is very successful!

Many greetings,

Sir Vivor

#17242 - 06/22/03 11:21 PM Re: tick removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another strong recommendation for using a device designed and marketed for the purpose of removing ticks. There is a huge body of inaccurate "information" on the subject of tick removal. It is virtually all nonesense. The only way to go is to get a modern tick removal tool and use it.

There is one so small I carry it in my wallet at all times. It also fits on a key ring and adds virtaully no bulk or weight. It is called "Pro Tick Remedy" and is available at www.rei.com.

I learned the hard way that using tweesers squeezes the tick and injects the infectious fluids into your body. This can result in a bad infection requiring medical treatment. All the other remedies involving smothering or irritating the tick have been ineffective in my experience. Use the modern methods only and don't ever use tweesers.

And by the way, the time to get a tick tool is before you get a tick. The longer a tick is on you the greater the likelihood of infection.

#17243 - 06/23/03 03:40 PM Re: tick removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have never had much success with trying to smother the tick. I have also tried applying heat, but that doesn't work well for me, either. I have found that rubbing alcohol can be effective, however.

#17244 - 06/23/03 05:01 PM Re: tick removal
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
We always take a bleach bath if we are covered with ticks, especially seed ticks (smaller than black pepper) and very hard to see.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.