Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#13723 - 03/08/03 12:26 AM Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone have any opinions? I'm thinking about getting a Windmill Delta, but at $45+, I want to know that I'm getting the best of the best. Any other suggestions?

#13724 - 03/08/03 04:42 AM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You would be more likely to be able to start a fire if you assemble a kit with some wind proof matches (various brands), normal matches, and three or four Bic disposables. You should then have enough redundancy. The right kind of tinder and technique is just as important as your lighter.

I have carried a Windmill for several years and it is OK (it has never failed to work for me) but he flame comes out at an awkward angle for the kind of stove and fire lay that I usually use. I found a better lighter for about $12 at my local sporting goods store.

People on this list have lots of different preferred tools for making fire, but I am sure nearly all of us would agree that redundancy is a good thing.

#13725 - 03/08/03 05:53 AM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the money Don.

Redudancy, redundacy, redundancy.

Mike

#13726 - 03/08/03 06:35 AM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Appreciate the thoughts guys, but redundancy is a given. I'm just trying to find the best lighter product out there, preferably butane refillable.

#13727 - 03/08/03 12:42 PM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Milestand Offline

My vote goes to the Mini Bic - I've carried one on my keychain for years and have found it to be reliable, durable, cheap, and replaceable. You can buy a case of them for the same price as that Windmill lighter...

#13728 - 03/08/03 03:14 PM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
As far as I know the Windmill and similar lighters are pretty good. But...

I haven't found anything I would call "great". In the butane category don't overlook the plain old Bic lighter. They are ergonomic, compact, inexpensive, and are very reliable within their limits - cold temps (a fault of all butane lighters) and inability to ignite if the flint/flint wheel is wet.

They also have a use when the fuel is expended for as long as the flint lasts - a spark source. I've shown/taught that many times to scouts and posted something about that a year or so ago.

It is trivial to waterproof a Bic carried for emergency use. With a little more thought it is simple enough to waterproof one carried for routine outdoors tasks such as lighting stoves, lanterns, and tinder. It is not worth the effort (although it can be done) to waterproof one used "constantly", as for a heavy smoker.

My personal experiences with electronic ignition butane lighters up to but not including the Windmill and its ilk have been great right up to the point that they are dropped or whacked. As near as I have been able to determine, it takes a fairly modest impact to alter the spark gap such that the ignition becomes extremely difficult or fails completely. No exceptions found so far, but as I wrote, I've not seen fit to dump the $ on the high end lighter like the Windmill, nor will I - the lowly Bic is by far the best value I've found.

They are far from perfected for outdoors use. Like a match, they are terrible in a breeze unless shielded. Some of the non-vertical applications can be somewhat improved by a simple adjustment to create a larger flame (a minor disassembly, readjustment. and reassembly), but they are not a "turbo torch". The older style Bics were better than the current style w.r.t. operation with a gloved hand - that shield/spring affair on the flint wheel can be an slight impediment. And they still have the cold temp limitations of all butane lighters (so carry them in a warm inside pocket, preferably waterproofed).

I carry Bic(s), BSA hot spark, and matches in a waterproof match safe. In some situations I add a Zippo with a lot of spare flints under the felt, but that's another topic.

#13729 - 03/10/03 02:24 PM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you carry it on your keychain? Does someone make a suitable pouch or keyring attachment device?

#13730 - 03/17/03 05:55 PM Re: Best Lighter on the Market?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As an inexpensive and disposable, I prefer a "djeep" lighter

Edited by paul (03/17/03 05:58 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.