The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#11836 - 01/06/03 05:36 PM My first PSK effort -- please critique
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Gang:

After months of reading and gathering material, I finally took a time to assemble my first Altoids tin PSK. Here's a list of the contents. Please give my any critical comments that occur to you.

Medical
- 2 bandaids, 3/4 x 3 in
- 4 butterfly bandaids
- 2 alcohol swabs
- 2 Xacto blades
- 1 toothpick, plastic
- 1 reading glasses, I4U, 1.5 x power
- medication, in plastic bag:
- 3 ibuprofen
- 3 Aleve
- 3 Benedryl
- 2 Immodium AD
- 3 Sinutab
- 3 Protonix
Shelter
- (no items)
Fire
- 4 matches, strike anywhere
- 1 metal match, MFS, 1/4 x 2-1/4 in
- 1 hacksaw striker
- 2 cotton tinder, Coughlans, in plastic vial
Water
- 20 potable aqua tabs
- 1 oven cooking bag
Food
- 10 ft brass snare wire
- fishing kit, in plastic vial:
- 15 ft fishing line, 15 lb test
- 3 swivels
- 3 fishing hooks, small
- 3 fishing hooks, medium
- 6 split-shot weights, assorted
Signals
- 1 compass, 3/4 in
- 1 flashlight, Photon II, white
- 1 whistle, aluminum tube
Tools
- 1 knife, SAK Classic
- 1 emery paper, 400 grit, 2-1/4 x 3 in
- 1 upholstry needle
- 1 sewing needle, large
- 1 sewing needle, medium
- 12 ft dental floss, unwaxed

I plan to add a large hook and finishing nail for a gaff. I'd also like to add some waterproof paper and a space pen refill. Finally, I need to add an instruction sheet, especially because all the pills are together in one plastic bag. I know what they are and what they're for, but someone else might not.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons packing the tin. Corollary to Muryphy's law: Everything is bigger than you imagine it is. My original pile of material filled THREE tins, not one.

I also learned that you really should only pack what you know how to use. For example, I don't have any suture material, because I don't know how or when to suture a wound. And I'm relying on a pre-packaged fishing kit, because I know nothing about fishing. That's really a vulnerability...

Anyway. Now (after I incorporate your suggestions) I need to go out and test myself with everything in the kit.

It was fun to make an Altoids tin kit, and they sure are handy for dropping into my backpack. But I'll probably also pursue a kit that will fill an entire (small) camera bag. I already hike with a small bag like that, and it goes with me everywhere, especially when I leave camp to explore.

I'll have to use more packaging to ensure waterproofing of things that need waterproofing, but in the end it will probably fit my hiking style better.

Right now my Altoids PSK is in the bottom of my shoulder bag, along with about 12 feet of nylon twine and 20 feet of paracord.

Thanks for reading...

Bear

#11837 - 01/06/03 10:38 PM Re: My first PSK effort -- please critique
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Seems to be be a pretty good kit. I have the following sugestions:
- store the pills in seperate bags (a vacuum packing machine would be good for this) and put these bags into a vial for protection
- if possible, pack small good quality tweezers
- if you donīt pack lures, you donīt need the swivels
- get more hooks and make sure theyīre good quality (really sharp and small barbs)
- if possible pack more line
- use a plastic whistle, theyīre better for cold weather

You could use the snare wire for landing a fish. Be sure to have handle for the snare or you risk cutting yourself. You donīt need anything for sutures. A wound should NEVER be closed in the field.

#11838 - 01/06/03 10:55 PM Re: My first PSK effort -- please critique
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Max: Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can fit the tweezers (I have some sliver grippers) and a plastic whistle into the tin.

Why store the pills in separate bags? Is there a risk they'll contaminate each other or something?

I'll also keep my eyes open for better hooks, in different sizes, and lose the swivel. I wish I knew more about fishing. I think I'll post a separate query about that. I really don't know what kind of line to get -- there seem to be a zillion kinds.

#11839 - 01/07/03 01:03 AM Re: My first PSK effort -- please critique
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
dchinell:
There is a small risk that the pills contaminate each other. But there are other advantages for separate bags:
- better managing (expiration date, supply, contents of bag)
- easier finding of the right pill
- no need to touch the pills you donīt need for the job at hand, that lowers the risk of contaminating them
- you considered the possibility that other people might use the kit, if theyīre unfamiliar with the appearance of a pill they can easyly get the right one

For the fishing line you guess what size of fish youīre going to catch (be optimistic here). Add 20 - 50% to that weight. That would be a reasonable test strength for freshwater. Donīt go for less than 0.1" though. I have monofilament with 50 pounds strength in my kit.
It would be adviseable to find a fisherman who can show you how to catch a fish. Most fishermen - at least the ones I know - would teach you the basics if you show real interest. Learning it from a book is really the hard way.

#11840 - 01/07/03 01:08 AM Re: My first PSK effort -- please critique
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
dchinell,
Don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is a relatively new type of line out now called "spiderwire". It is VERY thin for its weight ratings. I've seen it in several Walmarts, Bass Pro Shops and other places. It's a bit pricier than the more common types of line and it will require the use of a Palomar type knot. I've seen it as hight as 200# rating, and it's much thinner than you might expect.

ps
Nice start on your PSK!

Edited by Comanche7 (01/07/03 01:09 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.