Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10454 - 11/09/02 03:35 AM Jury Duty gear
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Thought I'd let you all know what I carried. And what I did not.<br><br>I did not take ANY blades. I have never felt that naked. The last time I had jury duty, they were allowing small slipjoints. Not any more. Damned terrorists took care of that liberty. <br><br>I left all beloved edged tools at home. Good thing, too. Security makes you pass ALL bags through metal detectors. Then you EMPTY your pockets, and the guard very carefully inpects EACH item. That surprised me. <br><br>Security opened everything except my coke and my tuna fish lunch. They opened every flashlight (I always carry many), took out the batteries, and inspected them. They opened my lipbalm and worked the stick up and down. They opened my bottle of headache meds. They opened my dental floss. They opened my hand sanitizer and sniffed it. Yup. They did. They worked my mini Bic lighter. They opened both of my wallets and looked inside. The paper clips and safety pins I use as zipper pulls passed inspection. They also opened my Fisher Space Pen.<br><br>Here's what I had on me:<br><br>LFP: money wallet, small bottle headache meds, Princeton Tec Blast, travel-size mini-bottle of eye drops.<br><br>RFP: ID wallet, on a keychain my mini-Fox 40 whistle, REI button compass, and red and turquoise Photon II's, Neutrogena lipbalm, mini Bic lighter.<br><br>LRP: comb.<br><br>RRP: Fisher Space Pen.<br><br>Stuff in sportcoat pockets: Eyeglass repair kit, tissues, pen, notebook, Gore Glide floss, travel-size minimirror, mini first aid kit, AAA mini Maglite.<br><br>After they take everything from you, then YOU go through the detectors. I passed. I was surprised because those detectors were picking up the metal in everyone's GLASSES. My glasses passed. I was relieved my eyeglass kit passed, because my screws are always coming loose (cue the laughter), but the screwdrived could be considered a weapon, I guess, being small and kinda sharp.<br><br>I felt very safe after being inspected. I told the guard they were WAY better than those at the airport, and if those guards were as good as the courthouse security, I might even feel safe enough to fly again. I haven't flown since 9-11.<br><br>Anyone had jury duty lately? What did you take with you?<br>

#10455 - 11/09/02 09:10 PM Re: Jury Duty gear
rodmeister Offline

Loc: ca
Thanks for the valuable info, since I get selected for jury duty often. <br><br>Just a thought, try loc-tite on your glasses and ditch the kit.

#10456 - 11/10/02 08:52 PM Re: Jury Duty gear
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
"Ditch the kit" -- Perish the thought! This way I get to carry a miniature screwdriver for a perfectly legitimate, innocuous reason no one thinks twice about.<br><br>If I walked in there and said this is my survival kit, my gear would get confiscated immediately. On the other hand, miniscrewdrivers, dental floss, and even hand sanitizer can be used for purposes other than their obvious ones.<br><br>I thoroughly enjoyed thinking about what gear to take and how I could use it in other ways. I thoroughly detested leaving behind my beloved blades. YUCK. Fortunately I do not get called for jury duty often.<br><br>Ever notice how one is never asked politely if one would like to serve as a juror? One is SUMMONED, as in ordered to report under threat of arrest.

#10457 - 11/10/02 08:55 PM Re: Jury Duty gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

In UK we do not get summoned for Jury duty. Sounds quite fun to me

#10458 - 11/10/02 09:02 PM Re: Jury Duty gear
rodmeister Offline

Loc: ca
Do you mean you voluntarilty go to jury duty? Curious how UK and US are similar but always different: like a parallel universe.

#10459 - 11/10/02 09:16 PM Re: Jury Duty gear
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i dunno how the english legal system works, but here in the netherlands we don't even have jury's

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 262 Guests and 86 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.