Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9897 - 10/12/02 08:12 PM Snare wire
Hutch66 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Hi, <br>I was wondering if someone could tell me what the benefits of including snare wire in a survival kit would be. I ask because everyone recomends having some, but I can't think of a use for it that couldn't be accomplished with parachute cord, which I already carry.<br><br>Thanks in advance for all replies.<br><br>Chris.<br><br>PS --- I've learned a lot from this site, thanks for all the advice and help.

#9898 - 10/12/02 08:26 PM Re: Snare wire
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
brass wire has some advantages over para cord.<br>the main advantages are size and flexability.

#9899 - 10/12/02 11:41 PM Re: Snare wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes you can make snares from para cord. They are quite effective as well. The advantage to snare wire in my opinion is that one it maintains its shape of a loop so that the animal will walk through it. Even when supported by twigs para cord tends to sag where the animal can walk around it. Secondly the wire slips into a noose easily enough, but once tightened the friction of the wire keeps it tight.<br><br>

#9900 - 10/13/02 09:45 AM Re: Snare wire
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
You can use it for a lot of tasks other than snaring. The smaller diameter is an asset. When you wind it around something, you can easyly tighten it by twisting the ends. As brass wire is an electric conductor is can be used to patch low power wiring until you can repair it properly. You may also need some wire to fix things which might get hot too.

#9901 - 10/14/02 12:05 AM Re: Snare wire
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Yes you can use paracord but the average animal can chew through it. Snare wire defeats this problem.<br><br>Wire can be used as a handle on a billy can or used to melt holes in scavenged plastic containers. Can wire pack frames or shelter frames together. Can replace bootlace. Plenty of other uses you may think of. Less volume when packed than paracord.<br><br>Carry the paracord as well if you have the space!

#9902 - 10/14/02 02:34 PM Re: Snare wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you ever tried to snare anything? Were you successful? <br><br>I didn't think so. I would not count on snaring anything as a means of survival.<br><br>Just my ranting.

#9903 - 10/14/02 07:55 PM Re: Snare wire
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

While the practical usefulness of snaring wildlife for food is debatable, after all, food is rarely a necessity in a short term survival situation and very few last longer than a couple or three days, I and others I know have successfully used simple snares to trap squirles and rabbits. Experience and hunting skills help a great deal in determining where best to set snares. The instructors at USAF SurvivaL School have told me that their experience with their students is about 10-15% sucess. That's one reasosn to set out lots of snares, if you want the best results and have limited experience. Just another data point.<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#9904 - 10/14/02 10:45 PM Re: Snare wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,<br>The point of my comments is that the vast majority of us have ever set a snare. Likely as not, very few have any meaningful knowledge of where to set a snare (how to identify a small game trail).<br><br>I have two snares in my army survival vest. I doubt that I could employ them with any real expectation of catching anything. I would think that to have an expecation of using a snare successfully, you would need to use one with some frequency. <br><br>Sort of like the threads on fishing knots. If you don't fish, it is not realistic to think that you are going to go out and subsist on your catch in an emergency.<br>

#9905 - 10/14/02 10:58 PM Re: Snare wire
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I think that's what I said. <br><br>As for fishing, the record seems to indicate that this requires far less knowledge and skill and that even the inexperienced may have reasonable success. Given a choice, I'd taking fishing over snares any day.<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#9906 - 10/15/02 12:16 AM Re: Snare wire
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
For the record, yes. Rabbits only, and only a few at that. But I have had one meal in two days from six snares, made from GI tripwire.<br><br>I agree that fishing is much easier and generally a better payoff for the effort involved, and for the average joe who isn't either hunter or fisherman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.