Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7328 - 07/10/02 01:48 PM Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone have an idea about carrying gear on your belt with a suit for normal business? How is it accepted by other executives (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.)? How does one carry things too bulky for pockets more discreetly? etc. Do you carry more than one knife?

#7329 - 07/10/02 03:11 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Does anyone have an idea about carrying gear on your belt with a suit for normal business? How is it accepted by other executives (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.)?<<<br><br>Not well. In general, anything on the belt is a negative class-indicator, and incompatible with the message you're sending by wearing a suit. Having things hanging off the belt is associated with janitors and repairmen. These days, there's sort of a grudging exception for mobile phones up to a certain level. Anything else might cause comment, probably behind your back.<br><br>On the other hand, a suit offers multiple pockets, some quite useful. I wouldn't want to put an entire PSK in any one, but items can be distributed. An Altoids-size tin isn't too conspicuous in a suit breast pocket unless you button the suit jacket- which is seldom done these days. Two thinner containers would be better, though.<br><br>As I'm a technical type, on most days I can get away with a leather pouch on my belt for a Palm computer. This works well if I'm likely to leave my suit jacket hanging up for most of the day. It rides horizontally, and there is space on the back side to clip a folder with up to about a 3 or 3.5 inch blade and have it remain concealed. Going to high-level meetings or business lunches, though, I don't wear the pouch and I carry the Palm in a suit pocket.<br><br>A friend carries a somewhat larger but very flat folder without a clip (usually an Al Mar Eagle) in his hip pocket, with a folded handkercheif to disguise the shape. He says it works. It's possible to carry a fairly large neck knife under your shirt and tie, so long as it's flat, but it's not an easy thing either to explain or to divest yourself of if it becomes awkward.<br><br>>>How does one carry things too bulky for pockets more discreetly?<<<br><br>Carrying attache cases is pretty much out these days at the higher levels, but you can almost always get away with a nice-quality flat leather pouch sized for documents and legal pads and such- some close with spring hinges, some with zippers. Generally, the higher class the surroundings, the less acceptable it is to carry anything. CEOs often have underlings carrying documents for them, and it's not unusual for them not to even bother with a watch. A lot depends on the circumstances you're anticipating.<br><br>There is also the option of keeping reserves at your desk and in your vehicle. It's not ideal, but it's probably the only viable option for bulky items. I have a fair amount of stuff in a shoulder pouch/pack that accompanies me to and from the vehicle, otherwise it lives at my desk.<br><br>>>Do you carry more than one knife?<<<br><br>Barring metal detectors, yes. I carry a Leatherman Micra for visible everyday use, and something else for crisis use- exactly what depends on the environment.<br>NEVER reveal anything that could be remotely considered a weapon unless it's more important than your job.

#7330 - 07/10/02 04:41 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think a lot of it has to do with your body type. Some people can get away with a Micra, photon, altoid kit, keys and wallet in their suit pockets while others can't even carry their car keys in their pant pocket without looking like a schlemiel. <br><br>I fall into the latter catagory. Therefore I leave things in my desk, my briefcase, my car, and my overcoat/ jacket. Is this optimal? Far from it. But it is better than nothing and I was able to get back to my desk before bolting out of the building on 9/11.<br>As for carrying multiple knives... I wouldn't carry anything you would be embarrassed about showing the security guards or police (Uh, yes sir, I use this to open my mail...)

#7331 - 07/11/02 01:07 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
This is one of those, it depends, questions. A lot has to do with your work environment. I work where i get dirty so it is not a problem. Now my little brother works as a project manager for a multimedia company. His job includes meetings with current as well as potential customers. What he carries is a organizer sized package that has a belt clip on it. It's large enough to carry his Visor, with the cell phone attachment, fold up keyboard, and a small note pad. It has another pocket on the back that has enough room for a Leatherman Wave, a AA mini mag, and a Spyderco. Where he works the dress code is pretty relaxed so he does not have any problem with wearing it on his belt, when he has meetings it is carried.<br><br>Now as you move up the executive ladder so to speak, toting more is usually frowned upon. If you are wearing a suit, dispersing it in multiple pockets is fairly easy. And i agree with Presumed, as your show blade carry a micra or something else PC. My little brother gave a quarter of his office a heart attack the first time he pulled out his all black Spyderco, of course the ones that were the most offended are also the first to ask him for a knife when they need something cut. He carries a micra on his key ring now.<br><br>

#7332 - 07/11/02 02:22 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I carry a buch of stuff with me all the time at work. I am a physician and I have no problems with carrying a leatherman wave on my belt. ( it is carried between the belt-loops over the right back pocket so it is not so obvious).<br>I also carry a altoids tin (urban srvival version) in my left front pants pocket, together with a SOG X-ray vision with paracord lanyard and my mobile phone. My right front pocket holds my keys with a pulsar II light, tornado whistle, storm lighter and my wallet. <br>It doesn't look obtrusive or unsightly, you just have to wear pants which are loose fitting so the stuff in your pockets don't stand out.<br>I usually don' t carry that much on my belt (just a leatherman and pager) lest I end up a batman wanna be .<br><br>

#7333 - 07/11/02 03:16 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I have to agree with above post. In the corporate world it's hard to get away from traditions and standards in the dress code. It's hard for others to accept your leatherman as a tool, instead of being perceived as a weapon. But it also depends on the company and people you work with. In my previous job my clients and partners were very rich and they would never do anything connected to the manual labor. So if the lightbulb was out in their home, they waited until electrician came to change it, they would never think about doing it themselves. Anything that I wore: leatherman, diving watch, dog tags or even a flashlight was reason for talking behind my back and them trying to display their richness and superiority. In my current job Leatherman is accepted, and key chain with other stuff also makes no rumor. But than again all of us worked in WTC so nobody questions our behavior. <br><br>I can give you a tip as far as carrying leatherman goes with a suit. I would love to use the standard vertical case but when I have my suit jacket open it shows. Even if it is accepted it really doesn't fit the style and it may potentialy cause a problem. I bought couple of horizontal cases from local knife store. So when I wear a suit I will wear that case on my belt but I will push it all the way to the back. Nobody can see it. I can open my jacket and even if I have to take it off I would do so facing people at the meeting and they can't see it. Even if somebody spots it, it doesn't look like anything anyway. <br><br>Play it by the ear. See what you can get away with it maybe be more than you think. I love photography and I hit a swimming pool once a day so I always have a big backpack with me. In that pack I have my extra flashlight, lighter, rolled up rain gear plus couple of cameras and swimming stuff. Originally I was getting ocassional comments about it but people got used to it.

#7334 - 07/11/02 06:29 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
I dunno. Maybe it's me; maybe it's just a good feature of the legal profession or its population. I don't really have a problem carrying what I want except in legally restricted areas. OTOH, I do tend to prefer pocket carry. And I suppose even I do conform to some of the dictates of fashion. Somehow a visible belt tool just doesn't seem to comport with a suit. When my pockets are insufficient, there is always my ubiquitous briefcase. Fortunately, full-sized briefcases are still acceptable for lawyers -- I guess that also fits my personality. ;-} I also frequently dress casually when business allows.<br><br>I've also noticed that many of my colleagues have no reluctance to use their own hand tools as circumstances warrant. Also a lot of us have interests in the outdoors, do it yourself projects, and frankly just plain gadgetry that seem to transcend any inhibitions of fashion. Finally, many of us just despise conformity anyway. <br><br>Incidentally, my wife always keeps a SAK, etc. in her purse.<br><br>I also like P. Lost's idea of keeping a Micra handy as a loaner when needed since I don't lend my knives to anyone. Otherwise it's occasionally ackward.<br><br>John

#7335 - 07/11/02 01:18 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW I carry a Victorinox Swiss Card in a business card case (The cheap case you get from the printer), A Brunton Lifecard in my wallet, and a Photon II on my keychain.<br><br>The Swiss Card is flat, non threatening, and was a service award from my company which doesn't hurt. The Lifecard is never seen unless I use the freznel lens for reading small print, <br><br> Now the Schrade Multitool I'm getting for my 10 year service award will probably not go over as well!<br><br>Chris

#7336 - 07/11/02 01:27 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>I also like P. Lost's idea of keeping a Micra handy as a loaner when needed since I don't lend my knives to anyone. <<<<br><br>It's also more likely to be returned if your keys are attached!

#7337 - 07/11/02 02:50 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the first decision relates to EDC items. If you work in an office and carry a full altoids tin with snares, fishing gear, signal mirror, etc -- well, you may be be better prepared than I am, but for what likely scenario? I have a complete BCB tine outfitted along Doug's reccomendations, but it's reserved for "off road" use.<br><br> For EDC, I combine a "mega key chain" (ARC AAA light, mini-Fox whistle (modified), bottle cap lifter, foldup Accutech Swisstool with pliers and screwdrivers, and small SAK "Executive" with scissors or occasionally a Micra, plus a fresnel in the wallet. If the number of keys you carry gets weeded occasionally, it's not much bulk, and I let the light hang from the pocket opening to reduce key wear on the pocket.<br><br> Everything else goes into my flat 3 1/4" X 2 7/8" Dr Scholl's blister pack that rides comfortably even in a suit front pants pocket (heck, it would fit in a bathing suit pocket): bandaids (2), butterfly closure, 4' twine, 1' duct tape, Photon II, button compass, mini-sewing kit, safety pins, sparker and tinder, Xacto blade, four motrin and two Bendadryls sealed in mini wrap. A couple of ranger bands wrap around it and keeps it closed, In an urban scenario, perhaps with the addition of a cell phone and a quarter for a pay phone in case of a dead battery, what am I realistically missing?<br><br> If you're camping, flying, hiking, etc., it calls for a different kind of kit and that's what I'd take for those activities. And you'd want a better medical kit, like the one I keep in my car trunk, along with a Lightwave 2000 LED 'serious' flashlight.<br><br> But it seems to me that you don't need a complete BOB in your pocket at the office -- just the items you're likely to need in an urban environment. It may mean assembling several different kits for different purposes -- but that's half the fun anyway, right?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.