Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7495 - 07/15/02 01:57 PM Day Hiking
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am about to go on a Day Hike in the mountains and it's winter here. I have a good 33lt Billabong Day pack for this purpose. I have seen some web sites on what to pack and what to take, but few, if any, actually explain HOW to pack your day pack. I have my own ideas out of logic, but would welcome/appreciate your input on this one.

#7496 - 07/15/02 02:39 PM Re: Day Hiking
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i would put importent things like first aid kits, some kind of shelter, etc. in top in you pack or in a side pocket withs can be accesed easily and fast. and the rest underneed it with ofcorse the more importent things higher in the pack and the useless thingys.

#7497 - 07/15/02 03:28 PM Re: Day Hiking
Anonymous
Unregistered

For comfortable carrying of a day pack:<br><br>Put heavy (dense) items close to your back and high in the pack for better center-of-gravity.<br>Pack tightly so items don't shift around or rattle-- Compression straps can help here.<br>Try to keep the load flat as in "flat against your back" instead of having a thick, ball-shaped load.<br>You will want to avoid having anything hard or sharp poking into your back-- a thin layer of soft items like clothing inside the pack against your back can help.<br>Make sure you know how to properly adjust the straps and especially a hip-belt if you have one: there are many subtle adjustments that make a big difference.<br><br><br>For convenience:<br><br>Without violating the above, try to keep the most-needed or first-needed items near the top of the pack or in the most accessible places. Water will be one of the most-needed items and also the most dense, so think carefully about how you will pack that. Also remember that if your flashlight is buried in the bottom of the pack, you can't find it when you need it (in the dark). Have a spot for it where you can find it without searching. <br><br><br>Also think about items you might want to retrieve with minimal delay, such as a camera or first-aid kit. You don't want to paw through your entire load with a bleeding hand.<br><br>And remember to keep at least some survival gear out of your pack and on your person in case you get separated from your pack.

#7498 - 07/15/02 05:00 PM Re: Day Hiking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thor:<br><br>In addition to the other suggestions already posted here I have two other tips:<br><br>1. Idiot cord* your small, important items such as flashlight, compass, pocket knife, whistle, etc. to either yourself or your pack. My wife has a habit of putting things down and forgetting about them. This works well for her. I also cord my flashlight to the key clip just inside the top of my pack. This helps out when trying to locate items inside it at night.<br><br>2. You can organize items that go together with stuff sacks. You can usually make your own from scrap clothing material with shoestrings as draw cords. If you can use different colored cloth for each sack you can easily identify the contents without opening each one. Zip lock bags and even old soks will work too.<br><br>Chris <br><br>* Idiot cord = a piece of line that is connected to you and a piece of equipment that prevents you from losing it and looking like an idiot. This is not meant as a personal jab. We all need them :)<br>

#7499 - 07/15/02 08:38 PM Re: Day Hiking
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
IMHO a 33 lt pack is far too much for a day hike. As it is winter you will be having lots of clothing on you which already creates some weight. <br><br>For a day hike proper clothing and a small pack with basic needs in it not exceeding a few kilos will be more fun on the track.<br><br>Keeping your water on your waist under your coat gives less pain and will be kept warmer. Cold water is no good in winter. Two normal size canteens would be more than enough considering you carry less on your back and sweat less.<br><br>Have fun,<br><br>Burak<br><br>

#7500 - 07/16/02 04:16 AM Re: Day Hiking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Castaway2 is correct in how to pack. I would suggest using your straps and waist belt to further distribute the load. The A.L.I.C.E. medium is the best pack for a day trip if available. I also highly recommend the standard A.L.I.C.E. belt and suspenders configuration with 3 butt packs.<br><br>The new Canadian All Purpose Load Carrying Uni-pack is highly practical for a day trip.<br><br>Mariner.

#7501 - 07/16/02 10:13 AM Re: Day Hiking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everybody..I appreciate all the input here. Now I can pack my Day Pack with peace of mind!!

#7502 - 07/16/02 11:35 AM Re: Day Hiking
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I don't know how well would that fit but since this season was little wet for me I learned the value and art of staing dry. To protect your goods I line my backpack with plastic garbage bag. It keeps my gear dry and in case I fall in when forging a creek I can use a pack as a floatation device. I think the great outdorsmen on this list covered everything you need but I will just add a small yet valuble item to your packing list. I know that you will dress in layers and configure your clothing so it's easly removed or added. I always even for a day hike take a spare t-shirt with me. It works wonders. If I sweat to much or get wet, when I get back to the car or sometimes in the middle of the trail I would change my t-shirt and spend the rest of the day in comfort.

#7503 - 07/18/02 03:10 AM Re: Day Hiking
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
"idiot cord" aka "dummy cord"... I generally agree with using them for critical items (like my mittens in extreme cold) and not only in winter (compass if I'm using it in unfamiliar terrain). However, they can be awkward or even dangerous at times. I find them a real PITA on knives, expecially the ones I most often use.<br><br>If you have snow where you are going, keep in mind that it is a great thief. The best safeguard is the habit of never failing to immediately put an item away the moment one is finished with it. Even so, we all get tired... A length of very brighly colored nylon cord attached to items is a tremendous aid to finding a dropped whatchamacallit. Rather than spending a pretty penny on perlon, I just use mason's line that is available in some eye-popping colors. Also, I attach the cord as a loop (double fisherman's knot) rather than a strand. Lengths are fairly short but purposeful. Example: my EDC photon 2's have a loop of a length that lets me girth hitch them to a belt loop and drop into respective pants pockets when I'm "playing rough"; the same length loop is exactly the right length to girth hitch to my watch band so that a flick brings it into my off hand for use yet I can "drop" it without fear when I need the hand for other tasks. Other items may have a single strand with a fixed loop (bowline) at the "loose" end - again, so the item can be girth hitched to something quickly. Loop is large enough to pass the item and no larger.<br><br>But I wouldn't go to too much trouble unless you're packing some irreplacable heirloom. This is gilding the lilly most of the time. It's only a hike, eh?<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.