Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7044 - 06/22/02 10:51 AM Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
doracozz Offline

Loc: California
Does anyone know if it is possible to store both the iodine and PA Plus tablets in a single vile? I'm almost finished with putting my PSK together and it is overflowing, so I'm trying to find ways I can cut back and/or or repack some of the items. AT this time, I am using two large viles to store these tablets in. I'm considering taking out the aluminum foil and using tape to attach it under the tin. That much foil takes up quite a bit of room so I thought that this would be a solution to the problem of finding ways to save space, without having to remove any of the other necessities. My PSK is in the larger of the two tobacco tins. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks! <br>Dora

#7045 - 06/22/02 12:22 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

the PA tablets function is to get the iodine taste away, so it isnt very importent in a PSK. If you want to save more space in your PSK you could get those "aquaclear" tablets who are stored in papersheets ( or whatever you call it ) and save a little bit of space. they are hard to get though.

#7046 - 06/22/02 01:35 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Why do you have two water purification chemicals? Redundancy in equipment is a given, but this isn't one of them. I would just stick with one in a PSK. Use the other one up, or stow with other gear smile

#7047 - 06/22/02 02:28 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Dora,<br><br>No, do not co-mingle the PA and PA plus. The PA plus will degrade the PA - that is what it does. The PA plus simply removes residual iodine taste from the water and has little or no effect with regard to killing pathogens. In fact - my opinion - by inactivating the residual iodine, the PA plus may actually be detrimental - think about it. I've never used it; iodine-tasting water is pretty easy for most folks to get accustomed to.<br><br>Someone else mentioned "aquaclear" in paper envelopes. I'm not sure, but I think what he's refering to is trademarked here as "Chlor-Floc", which you can get from Major Surplus and Survival and other places. My opinion on Chlor-Floc is that it is 1) bulky for the amount of water it disinfects compared to iodine and 2) a pain to use in a minimalist situation because it requires two containers and a "filter" (paper or cloth) to use. However, if someone is unable to ingest iodine, it probably is the best packable chemical disinfection method for water and is probably more effective against oocytes than plain iodine. It works by floculating suspended solids - all the bugs and dirt stick together in clumps - and then filtering them out with a coarse filter and treating the residual "clean" water with chlorine, IIRC.<br><br>Get in touch with Barry and get some small vials - you can repackage some PA tablets into MUCH smaller space that way.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

#7048 - 06/22/02 03:24 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

actually i was refering to the Chlorine tablets "aquaclear" withs you can find them in most B.C.B. kits. but they are also availible in smal box's with 2x50 tablets in "foil wrapped". <br>http://www.bcbin.com/itm00443.htm

#7049 - 06/22/02 04:55 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The PA Plus tabs are not for water purification, rather they are like vitamin C which will neutralize the iodine of the Portable Aqua tabs, eliminating the iodine taste that many find objectionable. I'd not include them in a PSK, but some folks do find the taste extremely objectionable to the point of not being able to drink the water. <br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#7050 - 06/22/02 05:00 PM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The chlorine-based Aquatabs and the like from outside the U.S. are hard to get because they have not been EPA approved and thus are technically illegal to sell in the U.S. for water pruification purposes, thus nobody, to my knowledge, imports them separately. Regarding their inclusion in the kits, well, better to let some dogs lie. <br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#7051 - 06/23/02 12:06 AM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
doracozz Offline

Hi Tom: Thanks for your helpful info. I had previously decided to include the PA Plus tablets to remove the iodine taste in the water. If I decide to still include them I'll put them in a small Ziplock bag, so they'll be in my PSK. <br>Dora

#7052 - 06/23/02 12:15 AM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
doracozz Offline

Hi: I'm always ready for new ideas, so I'll see if I can get the "Aquaclear" tablets. Thanks! <br>Dora

#7053 - 06/24/02 03:21 AM Re: Potable Aqua and PA Plus tablets in PSK
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Wow, the things you learn on this forum!<br>I never knew that Auqatabs were not EPA approved. We've been using that stuff in the Army for years to purify water (yeah it tastes like crud, Iodine is the better flavour!!). The first time I heard of iodine based water purification was on this site and was wondering why no chlorine based tabs were being used. Now I know the reason.<br>Time to do more research on the web......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.