Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6339 - 05/20/02 11:34 PM AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br>I am traveling on a plane to Arizona soon and I would like to know what they currently allow on a plane from the PSK. Another way of saying it is what would you take. <br>

#6340 - 05/21/02 02:33 AM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a popular question. The consensus is this; first, you will endure considerable scrutiny even if it is packed in cargo and not carried, secondly the actual use for one on a commercial flight, even in a crash is remote. The easiest strategy is to ship it ahead to your destination by a secure carrier.

#6341 - 05/21/02 12:33 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand it would be easier to send it in the mail. However if you’re in a crash you might need your PSK. I guess maybe you could salvage what is around. But if the plane is in flames I know that the smoke and soot is so bad that if suffocate you fast. It will clog up your mouth and throat.<br><br>But still what would you carry on your person.<br>

#6342 - 05/21/02 01:22 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well i would carrier only some water or water purification equipment, some first air items, singnal devics and maybe some kind of fire starter. because it's most likely that SAR teams will arrive soon. so you only need some short term survival things.

#6343 - 05/21/02 01:46 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
If I were flying commercial and the plane were to crash and I was to survive, my immediate priorities would be successful egression and self treatment for exposure and shock. To this end, I would carry these items: something to cut the seatbelt (discretely sharpened carkey), a bandanna, a bright flashlight (Surefire E2 Elite), a whistle (on my keychain). I would be wearing long pants, button down shirt and would have a light windbreaker or anorak. I would also, more than likely, be wearing polycarbonate sunglasses (my usual daily wear) and a baseball cap. The rest of my kit would be a few altoids kit type items scattered around my person. I would, more than likely, have a few large garbage bags in my carry on luggage along with a few first aid items, duct tape, paracord, and a 1 liter Desani bottled water or the like.

#6344 - 05/21/02 01:56 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

For travel, I have a separate travel keychain that lives in my carryon bag to take on planes, with all the usual stuff (whistle. Photon, Swisstool, plus a zipper pull compass/thermometer. It has a snap release for a separate ring that carries a Swiss Army "Rucksack" model (which I like) that rides in checked luggage. (Also in checked luggage is a pretty comprehensive travel first aid kit I put together, using a lot of input from Doug Ritter's small kits, and starting with the Adventure Medical "Voyager" kit.) <br> A separate Zip , labelled "Carryon Meds" has the sort of personal items/first aid you might need in an airport or plane: aspirin, Sudafed, Digel, skin lotion, earplugs, bandaids, a blister pad, wipes, lip balm, floss. In a separate pocket are a bandana and cloth handkerchief. You might also consider an eyeshade or inflatable pillow.<br><br>I always travel with a checked luggage utility kit in a HD Ziploc containing a plastic coffee can lid (plate), knife-fork-spoon kit from Magellan's, a couple of extra HD Zips, garbage bags, corkscrew, duct tape, extra bandana and hand wipes. I find it handy for roadside picnics, street food, hotel snacks, etc.<br><br> Hope this helps.<br><br> -- KB

#6345 - 05/21/02 02:25 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

This question has been discussed previously with some great suggestions. To save a bunch of repeated verbage, here's the link previous thread on airline security acceptable PSK elements

#6346 - 05/22/02 12:09 AM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

The airplane ride is still the safest part of your journey. If you're flying over the continental U.S. in a U.S. flag carrier, the odds of not making it to your destination safely are simply not worth considering seriously. Also, if your regularly scheduled airline flight does go down, help will be on the way. You will not be stranded anywhere for any signficant time.<br><br>Chris K. is absolutely correct: you're more likely to need your PSK at your destination, not on your way there.

#6347 - 05/22/02 01:55 AM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>>> I have a separate travel keychain that lives in my carryon bag to take on planes, with all the usual stuff (whistle. Photon, Swisstool,<br><br>If this is the same Swiss Tool that I think it is, you're going to get some screener all excited one day. These are definitely confiscated if they're found. Once they find one item, expect to have a conversation with a supervisor, plus having everything else gone over with a fine-tooth, non-sharp comb. :-)

#6348 - 05/22/02 01:09 PM Re: AIRPLANE KIT
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i dont thing you can get a sharp object in a plane to cut seatbelt after 9-11. it most likely to be taken away from you by customs or other security people on the airport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.