Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6007 - 05/03/02 06:26 PM Meal Replacement Powders
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone considered using Meal Replacement Powders in a kit or BoB? Has anyone had any success or failure with these? They are light, fairly unbreakable, and last for a while (I think). There are serveral brands that are readily available almost anywhere by EAS or MetrX. <br><br>I've tried quite a few of them and some are quite easy to prepair and a few are even quite tasty. <br><br>Any pros or cons to using these to stock a kit would be apprieciated. Living in NYC I don't have Mainstay bars in every nieghborhood but I can find these everywhere. Are there any disadvantages to long term use?<br><br>Here is an example:<br>http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse/sku_detail.jhtml?SkuID=3869&BrandName=EAS&SkuName=Myoplex+Mass+Vanilla+Cream&BreadCrumbType=Search

#6008 - 05/03/02 07:37 PM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find it strange that they dont list the # of calories, and the list of "other ingedients" is enough to scare a scientist.<br><br>I think a Carnation Instant Breakfast is a bunch cheaper, and just as good (maybe better) nutritionally if that's what you're after.<br>

#6009 - 05/03/02 07:56 PM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the actual count from the package of Myoplex Deluxe (chocolate)...<br>Although it may still "scare a scientist" LoL<br><br>Nutritional Facts <br>Serving size 1 packet (83 g) <br>Amount Per Serving <br>General Nutrition <br>Calories 300 <br>Calories from Fat 20 <br>Total Fat 2 g <br>Sugars 2 g <br>Saturated Fat 0.5 g <br>Cholesterol 5 mg <br>Total Carbohydrates 25 g <br>Sodium 450 mg <br>Potassium 550 mg <br>Dietary Fiber <1 g <br>Protein 42 g <br>Vitamins % minerals <br>Vitamin A (20% as beta-carotene) 40 % <br>Biotin 50 % <br>Selenium 45 % <br>Vitamin D 50 % <br>Thiamin 50 % <br>Niacin 50 % <br>Phosphorus 50 % <br>Molybdenum 70 % <br>Pantothenic Acid 50 % <br>Chromium 80 % <br>Riboflavin 50 % <br>Vitamin B12 50 % <br>Vitamin E 100 % <br>Iodine 50 % <br>Copper 50 % <br>Magnesium 50 % <br>Vitamin B6 50 % <br>Vitamin C 50 % <br>Calcium 70 % <br>Zinc 50 % <br>Manganese 20 % <br>Iron 50 % <br>Micronutrients <br>Sodium ribonucleic acid (RNA) 9.5 mg <br>Conjugated Linoleic Acid 1 g <br>Choline 100 mg <br>Vanadyl Sulfate 10 mg <br>CitriMax™ (Garcinia cambogia) 150 mg <br>Boron 1 mg <br>Ingredients: <br>Myoplex Deluxe™ Chocolate Cream Ingredients: MyoPro® (proprietary protein blend containing whey-protein isolate from ion-exchanged whey, milk-protein isolate, calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, and egg albumin), maltodextrin, GKG® (proprietary blend containing L-glutamine, calcium alpha-ketoglutarate [AKG], taurine, potassium chloride, potassium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, magnesium oxide, sodium RNA, and manganese glycinate), natural and artificial flavors, Dutch processed cocoa, CLA™ (calcium conjugated linoleic acid from sunflower oil), partially hydrogenated canola oil, xanthan gum, V2G™ (proprietary blend containing taurine, vanadyl sulfate, and sodium selenate), vitamin and mineral blend (choline bitartrate, beta-carotene, ascorbic acid, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, ferrous fumarate, molybdenum amino acid chelate, boron proteinate, niacinamide, zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate, chromium citrate, copper sulfate, Vitamin A palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, Vitamin D3, folic acid, biotin, potassium iodide, and cyanocobalamin), corn syrup solids, salt, soy lecithin, aspartame*, cellulose gum, carrageenan, CitriMax™ (garcinia cambogia), medium-chain triglycerides, mono- and diglycerides, and borage oil. *PHENYLKETONURICS: Contains phenylalanine. <br>Recommended use: <br>For a rich, creamy shake, combine contents of each packet with 16 oz of cold water or skim milk and thoroughly mix in a blender or shaker for 45 seconds. Use 2 to 3 servings daily. <br>

#6010 - 05/03/02 08:41 PM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as I know AFAIK, meal-replacement powders have one of two expected uses. <br><br>First is as a diet aid. In this category the attempt is to provide sufficient nutrition combined with insufficient calories. Or the more creative provide nutrition that is extremely weak in a specific area depending upon the dieting theory being attempted. They may contain no protien or no carbohydrates or no fats depending upon the approach.<br><br>Second as a body building supplement. These often overload the balance in favor of the nutrition needed to repair muscles that have been over-worked. This may be a better option if you plan on being on the move but it still doesn't fit. The type of work done during body building is mostly anaerobic while the work done hiking is mostly aerobic.<br><br>This having been said I carry both mainstay rations and some more readily available diet meal-replacement food bars that are rather tasty. They are the calorie reduced type of diet theory and as such provide a decent balance of vitamins and protien. I supplement calories from available carbo sources from hard candy to potatoes and anything in-between. I wouldn't want to live exclusively on them because of the lack of fiber. I have lived on them for a few days on occasions when I am simply too busy and broke to stop for a burger. (this actually happens to me). Payday usually saves me from this fate within a week so I haven't tried anything longer. I have never had any luck actually losing weight this way since I will double up on the food bars in order to quench the hunger. I always keep some in store for the lean / busy times.<br><br>I would avoid using the body-building types or the types that endorse an unbalanced nutrition scheme. Calorie restriction isn't that good during a stressful time either but it is easier to compensate for by carrying sugar or fat. sugar is perhaps easier to carry but fat is much greater calories for same weight by a factor of 9 I think.

#6011 - 05/03/02 08:58 PM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed. Using something like MetRx powder fo exist on is better than starving, but not really a good diet. For one thing, eliminating solid food from your diet will cause your digestive tract to shut down. Also, these body-building powders are basically a combination of a multi-vitamine pill and a whole lot of protein. I mean a whole lot of protein. So much that most of it would probably go unused by your body and I would be worried that it would be bad for me. They are very lacking in fat, carbohydrates and dietary fiber. <br><br>You would be a whole lot better off with some food bars. If you don't want to bother with the high-tech survival bars, you can get decent bars at health-food stores like the "Balance" brand or "Ironman" bars (these two are not overloaded with carbs like many are). Also, just a breakfast bar or diet bar like miniMe suggested would be better for survival than powder. Hopefully these would be a supplement to a variety of other foods that you could procure.

#6012 - 05/03/02 10:58 PM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mainstay is literally a 5 minute drive. If anyone has problems securing any let me know. last time I bought a supply they were $4 a unit. I ate these exclusively for a week, supplemented by dandelions, miner's lettuce.cattails, yucca stalks and blossoms growing locally. Mainstay bars are pleasant to eat, but quickly become BORING. You really can't do much with them, and the lack of fiber is critical to maintaining your regularity. A small supply of dehydrated fruit, ie raisons or apricots are a great addition. They require a little more care in storage and rotation.

#6013 - 05/05/02 03:59 AM Re: Meal Replacement Powders
schaz Offline

Loc: California
As I remember from one of my temporarily effective weight loss efforts:<br><br> Fat has 9 Calories per gram<br> Carbos have 4 Calories per gram (or was it 5)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 440 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.