Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4214 - 02/16/02 08:13 PM Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First - Thanks for the great web site and forum format! I recently found you all (looking for something else, of course) and have been very glad to find (a) info I didn't already have, and (b) a group with whom to discuss things.<br><br>Having gone thru all of Doug's various suggested PSK variants and the reviews of commercially available kits, it struck me that I knew how to use some of the kits' contents, but others left me puzzled. It also appeared that some kits included duplicate means to accomplish the same goals. So my question is this: Has anyone published a simple matrix that indicates the purpose of the contents of these kits. I'm not looking for a survival manual, just a quick comparison of the ways to accomplish a given goal. It seems to me that such a comparison would serve the entire forum family, by showing all of the alternatives a person might want to consider when putting together a kit, in the light of the specific intended purpose and environment.<br><br>ALAN

#4215 - 02/16/02 11:42 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about a usage matrix, but I can coment on the redundancy. "Two is one; One is none."<br><br>For a PSK, you want it to be as versitile as you can, but for fire and signalling, you want all the options you can get. A singel match is non-redundant. But you wouldn't want to be stuck to just that. Or just to matches. Sometimes might have plenty of time until dark, and no immediate concern about cold, but you will want to have a fire up and going pretty soon in a lot of situations, so you the sparkright or the spark or MFS from your kit. Those aslo serve if you are in trouble long enough to be out of matches, or they get soaked despite all you attempts to water tight the kit and make the matches waterproof.<br><br>Fire is the most rundedant thing in the PSK, and for good reason.

#4216 - 02/17/02 11:03 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, please don't mis-understand. I believe in redundancy for some things - fire especially. The point of my question was that we need all of the cogent comparisions we can get so that, as thinking individuals, we can have facts in making up our minds. Opinions are useless without facts. ;-)<br><br>Alan<br>

#4217 - 02/18/02 03:51 AM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

But opinions are based on facts, which change from person to person based on thier perceptions and experinces. :)<br><br>I think what you describe would be a lofty project, but everyone builds and rebuilds (and rebuilds and rebuilds) thier kit based on the equipment available to them, frequently making at least some of it (super-X-actos, pens that hold water tabs, et al) and scrounging the rest. But it depends, also, on thier needs and skills. That is where the problem of developing a concrete listing may come into play. It would onlyr be a listing, in general terms, of the bare minimums, or just one persons kit that may or not look like anything more suited to someone elses needs.<br><br>Either that, or it will be a massive thing that we all contribute to, all of us tossing in our 3 cents, about what we like and use. Easiest way would be as a guestbook-type thingy, broken into catagories, and spat out as a table, but it would have to be admined. Chris?

#4218 - 02/18/02 12:44 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for helping me put my thoughts into words. You are absolutely right about the non-existence of a concrete list. If there were one, we would all have identical PSK's. My thought was to tap the experience resources of the group in order to provide the lesser lights (myself included) with alternatives, so that as skill, circumstance, and personsonal finance levels change, we could be reminded of options that hadn't occurred to us as individuals.<br><br>Alan

#4219 - 02/18/02 03:31 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah......<br><br>For that, go through the archives of the forum. We've discussed just about everything here at one time or another. <br><br>Or ask old queastions as new ones- we've probably forgotten who asked it in the first place. smile

#4220 - 02/19/02 02:45 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that a gear/use matrix is a great idea for those of us who are neophytes and trying to gain a lot of information as quickly as we can. I am not sure if there are enough of us novices out here to make it worth the time and effort, but I think it would be great. It is like any body of knowledge, I think. Those who grew up acquiring this expertise (and that seems to be a good majority here) don't really know how mysterious this can be to those of us (or me at least) who are still at the level of trying to figure out the acronyms. What I have found is that everyone here is super helpful when asked a question, but if you are at the level where you don't even know the right questions, you are still in trouble.<br>I think cyberraven has a terrific idea of having people tell us what is in their kit,why, and how to use it. If that could then be fashioned into a matrix, I think it would create a wonderful tool worthy of this site. <br><br> Please understand that the people I work with have often advised me that I can think of terrific ways to make work for other people to make my job easier--so view this suggestion with that bias in mind.<br><br>Robb

#4221 - 02/19/02 05:36 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ill discuss this with Doug. Perhaps a third forum dedicated to a few complete units, photos and detailed descriptions ( I still find Doug's the best.). Doug is very busy and travelling right now so be patient. The problem I see is limiting this to someones Altoid tin. I suspect we are a lot like the movie cliche of the hero disarming. You know, multiple handguns, grenades, brass knuckles and knives from every pocket and hat.

#4222 - 02/19/02 06:40 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>from every pocket and hat.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Hey! I never thought of my hat! Gee, I learn new things every day here...<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4223 - 02/19/02 09:40 PM Re: Gear/Use Matrix ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, speaking as a person here who probably has the least knowledge of anyone, I don't think the "what" is as necessary as the "why" and "how" questions. Doug's articles about his own kit and his review of other kits are great the "what." I think that it is easy to assume that we (the novices) would know why something is in a kit and how to use it(and indeed the multitude of uses when the primary use may be obvious). When I first read about Doug's kit, I couldn't figure out the condom. I thought that Doug must have incredible excess...uhhhhh...."energy" to give up precious space in a psk for a condom, when the rest of us would be busy working like the devil to get a fire started. Took a little more in depth reading to discover.... oooohhhhhh for water, I get it, as a water carrier/purifier. I think it is the second, third and fourth non-intuitive uses for a particular item that would be great to hear about.<br><br> Thanks for the consideration! Robb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 479 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.