Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4038 - 02/08/02 11:57 PM clothing
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mac, in regard to your clothing inquiry there are many lively past posts. This is one of those personal choices that are up there with knives in terms of individual ideals. Suffice it to say the layered look is in be it natural materials or the latest generation of synthetic. Keeping spare socks on hand is a given, but how many people carry a spare watch cap? At the end of the day mine is also tired and wet from sweat . It gets a breather while the spare does night watch. Clothing is indeed vital; both for protection and a place to stuff all the tools we carry. The mummy found in the Austrian-Italian Alps is a fascinating look back at clothing and gear. It's all there( Doug may dissaprove of the copper axe), nothing has really changed, including misfortune that can strike the best prepared and knowledgeable.

#4039 - 02/09/02 01:52 AM Re: clothing
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but how many people carry a spare watch cap?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Oo, oo! I do! I do! <grin> And it is a real pleasure to put a dry one on at night - plus it keeps that part of the sleeping bag cleaner and drier. Paranoia, er, preparedness is the other reason we carry a spare. It has been important over the years with the kids... they have all lost one once on winter trips, and I sorta hazily remember one sleep-deprived hypothermic night many years ago... anyway, I carry a watch cap in my kit year round - that's my spare. If weather dictates a watch cap, I ADD one to my head or jacket pocket.<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4040 - 02/09/02 02:02 AM Re: clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Austrian-Italian Alps guy was amazing to say the least...<br><br>About the clothing... When boating and in the cars I have I carry spare pants and shirt at all times. I get grubby so it is useful. I don't pretend to be a pilot, and it was not me that was soaked in gasoline, but I think if I was a pilot I would try to keep a small bag with jeans, shirt, jacket, and shoes in the plane. Maybe there is less room in a plane than I think, but then that would be less than a canoe... can that be it? I think I would agree on not having any spare copper ax of any kind... we have steel, and I might want one of those say a 2 1/2 pound Hudson type..... I was just asking.... Mac<br>i am new here, and do hope I am not a bother.....

#4041 - 02/09/02 02:05 AM Re: clothing
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i am new here, and do hope I am not a bother<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Heh-heh-heh - I am enjoying your posts - keep it up.<br><br>Tom

#4042 - 02/09/02 04:47 AM iceman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has there ever ben thoughts as to putting a piece on ETS about Otzi?<br><br>When you think about it, he carried the same sorts of things most of carry in our EDCs and PSK loads, just bulkier or more skill intensive. Most of us have built packs (or bug out bags, or 72-hour packs, et al), and with only a few changes, we carry the same he did, just in different styles and quantites. Pointing out how the basics haven't really changed in a few thousand years might be an interesting thing to have here, both for gear and for the reminder that even best skilled and equipped person here could screw up, die, and in a few thousand years, be a scientific find.<br><br>Any volunteers? smile

#4043 - 02/09/02 05:03 AM Re: iceman
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Y'know, I think that's a great idea... a side-by-side comparison (with commentary or links to same). Hey, Chris, sorta up your alley, kinda, isn't it? How about it?<br><br>BTW, I seem to recall reading recently that he actually was wounded - probably succumbed to his wounds - sustained during a fight with some other person or persons...<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4044 - 02/09/02 05:14 AM Re: iceman
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps Hikerdon and I can find some interesting links. This is probably better pursued in the various websites for the " primitive" technology folks. The latest research on Otzi reported the unidentified object in his shoulder as a projectile point and the one fracture. It is hypothesized he was in a "range war" between competing people and had to "bug out."

#4045 - 02/09/02 06:26 AM Re: iceman
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.gla.ac.uk/Acad/ lBLS/DEEB/jd/otzi.htm and www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/icemummies/iceman.html will give a good briefing to new readers. Otzi carried a pouch with flint and a retouching tool, ( I believe a small pressure or percussion tool for flaking) two bark boxes( one with coals), a hafted flint knife, copper axe, fungus ( used for fire tinder and/ or medicinals) a wood frmed backpack and his bow and unfinished arrows. Otzi dressed in three clothing layers; deerskin leggings, jacket and grass rain cape, bearskin cap and moss stuffed footwear. Incidentally, I was told by a friend who served in an Italian mountain division the sheepherders were still using those grass capes well into the early 1900s! So much for naked in to the wilderness with only a knife.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (02/09/02 07:00 AM)

#4046 - 02/09/02 06:27 AM Re: clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, my basic outdoor clothing list always includes a balaclava helmet, even for the desert. Very effective at retaining heat when things get cool.<br><br>I don't know, but I suspect that something like the balaclave was around during Iceman's era...

#4047 - 02/09/02 06:47 AM Re: iceman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, I believe I recently read that yet another hypothesis considered the iceman to be a sacrifical victim. Sounded a tad far fetched to me.<br><br>Maybe archaeology isn't an exact science........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.