Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2790 - 11/30/01 02:04 PM Cold Steel Mini Bushman anyone uses them?
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi,<br><br>Our Scouting group already owns a large Cold Steel Bushman knife and personally I find it the most knife for $$ that I've seen in decades.<br>I sharpened the Bushman using a lansky diamond hone kit and it gets scarry sharp and keeps it for a long enough period for what we use the knife for at scouting.<br>I once supervised and directed a kitchen group preparing a barbeque for 60 odd kids during a camp and we cut a ton of veggies and the Bushman sliced / cut them up with great ease.<br>Also cutting "thin branches to make "bread baking sticks is no match for it.<br><br>We now have been donated some smaller Mini Bushman knives and I'm wondering if anyone wants to share his experiences/opinions about it.<br>I like the smaller size even without ever having helt one in my hand, I hear different opinions about the black powder coating and I guess that the sheath is still the only worse part of the whole knife?<br><br>Has anyone tried Normark's Kydex/Concealex sheath for the Mini-Bushman?<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera<br>

#2791 - 12/14/01 05:43 AM Re: Cold Steel Mini Bushman anyone uses them?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Piet,<br><br>Just got a couple of each in today (gifts; 2 sons have been asking for CS Bushman all year). My first side-by-side reaction is that I like the mini better. My second reaction is that the leather sheaths have got to go! Right off the bat when I sheathed them, they sliced the sheaths - not a lot, but I can see that the sheaths are doomed...<br><br>I'll try re-forming the leather for now, but they are either going to get a major re-work or get replaced with plastic sheaths ASAP. I probably should buy Concealex sheaths, I guess.<br><br>Anyway, the boys will give the knives a pretty good tryout in mid-January on a survival training exercise. Gives me a couple of weeks after Christmas to do something about the sheaths. Very interesting knives. OK - I think they're ugly, LoL. The mini strikes some sort of chord in me, though - as a backup blade. I think I'll order anothe mini for me to fiddle around with, as I have some ideas to "improve" it a little.<br><br>Tom

#2792 - 12/24/01 02:27 PM Re: Cold Steel Mini Bushman anyone uses them?
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Tom,<br><br>I fiddled a little with one Mini Bushman and wrapped the handle with 2 mm black nylon cord, it improves the gripping a lot and besides that the grip is less slippery when whet it also puts distance between your handpalm and the cold metal (it's winter over here).<br>I like the mini Bushman better for general cutting then the original larger one, it's easier to carry and although I don't really like the supplied sheath, these mini Bushman sheaths were made from better leather than the sheaths on the larger Bushman knives. <br><br>Still I'm hoping to trade a sheath with Eric Noeldchen who makes super quality Kydex/concealix sheaths, also for the Bushman and mini Bushman.<br>(see On/Scene Tactical at: http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/ )<br><br>Tom, I find that I get the best bite and alover sharpnes when I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 set at 30 Degrees angle and using the coarse stones.<br>I finish by stropping lightly on my grandfathers razor strop and that mini Bushman now cuts at the slightest touch.<br><br>Merry Christmas and an Happy and Healthy New Year,<br><br>Bagheera

#2793 - 12/24/01 05:46 PM Re: Cold Steel Mini Bushman anyone uses them?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Merry Christmas (Eve), Bagheera!<br><br>I wrapped one Bushman handle with 550 cord because I have some. As you note, it improved things a great deal. I did it like whipping a rope but left enough tails to tie together with a double fisherman's to make a wrist lanyard. I cut enough 550 cord for each of the others and tossed in the boxes - better for the boys to wrap themselves so they learn how to do it. It was very difficult to get things wrapped with the proper tension without slicing my hand, so I will have the boys clamp the blade in soft jaws in a bench vise when they wrap. Later, in the woods, I will show them how to make an expedient clamp or vice for that sort of thing.<br><br>The lack of a half-guard combined with the taper of the handle bugs me. I will at least make up removable two-piece half-guards - just a little hacksaw and file work and then drill and tap a couple of holes (in the guard material) to clamp them on. Probably make them from aluminum and may put a strip of rubber between the guards and the blade to prevent galvanic corrosion - haven't decided the details yet. Again, I'm waiting until the boys get the knives so they can participate in making the guards. I'll post pics in the Campfire Forum after we make one and again if we make any changes in subsequent ones.<br><br>A great number of potential handle improvements are streaming through my mind right now <grin>. The handle is a sensible-looking socket for making a lance or stabbing spear or chopping (what would one call it?) device, but the shape on the outside to use as a knife handle is hard for me to accept.<br><br>These little rascals are sharp! Since I do not intend to lance cape buffalo with them, I very much prefer the mini-Bushman. Quite an interesting and simple knife. I look forward to seeing them used in the woods.<br><br>We have snow finally - just enough for a "white Christmas" - I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and prosperous New Year.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.