Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2524 - 11/08/01 04:24 PM Survival story
peanut Offline
Journeyman

I came across this story, and thought y'all would like to comment:<br><br>http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov01/lost06110501a.asp<br><br>Good points:<br><br>1. He left his info with others so a search could start.<br>2. He kept his knife on him.<br>3. He always carrys a whistle, so could attract close rescuers.<br><br>Bad points:<br><br>1. No water carrying capability or purification. Dehydration was a major risk, and so was hypothermia when he was forced to eat snow.<br><br>2. No way to signal airborne rescuers. These are our major source of location.<br><br>3. No way to make fire. It's foolish to not carry anything as small and light as fire-making equipment always.<br><br>4. Eating without drinking.<br><br>At a minimum, I keep a whistle and photon on my keyring, and another keyring with an A.G. Russel featherlite knife, Superior sharpener and military match, on me at all times. Total additional weight = 3 oz.

#2525 - 11/08/01 05:17 PM Re: Survival story
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noticed the term "newly opened trail" first. The best of established and mapped routes are still subject to the whims of nature's alterations. Taking a periodic bearing and looking back to visualise landmarks would have returned him to his tent. The food ! crackers, tootsie rolls and tuna makes my meager supplies seem bountifull. I did take a second look at my can of sardines. They are included as potential fishbait and reserve food. I think Ill find smallerbait and add something less salty.

#2526 - 11/08/01 07:49 PM Re: Survival story
Anonymous
Unregistered

This story illustrates for me how easy it is to get into a survival situation. He made 2 completely separate, easily- made mistakes, either of which would have been sufficient to create a survival situation: <br>1) got lost following a confusing trail while backpacking, and <br>2) got lost again while scouting away from his campsite (losing almost all his gear).<br><br>Also, as the search plane circled, unable to see him through the trees, it illustrated how having a signal mirror quick at hand and the skill to rapidly aim it could have made a huge difference. <br><br>And, obviously, a way to start a fire.<br><br>And finally, the importance of keeping the essentials on your person, not in the backpack where most people would likely be tempted to leave them. It was only after he became separated from the majority of his gear that a PSK would have became crucial.<br><br>It's a good thing he left the map of his route with his parents. If he hadn't, he probably would have died.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.