Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#602 - 04/30/01 04:47 AM Emergency Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my 1st post. I just discovered this sight. In June I am sailing a 19ft sailboat from BC to Juneau AK round trip alone. I have tried to imagine every possible scenario and prepared for it. Does anyone have any particular suggestions? One thing I still havent decided on is whether to take a rifle. I dont really see a need but many have advised me too. What are everyone's thoughts on this?<br><br>

#603 - 04/30/01 02:13 PM Re: Emergency Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll assume you have read up on life rafts and have a good one with radio beacon, supplies, etc. And of course life vest, harness system, personal transmitter, etc.<br><br>I don't know if piracy is a realistic threat in that area, but I would consider the possibility and consider a firearm for self-defense. There won't be any use in dialing 911 where you are going. I understand Canadian law is very restrictive on hand guns, so a long-arm of some type seems like a logical place to begin. Be sure to protect it well from the salt-spray environment. And remember that having a gun actually makes your boat (or home) a more tempting target for theives, since guns are so valuable, especially on the black market. Keep a low profile with it and secure it well.<br><br>

#604 - 04/30/01 07:37 PM Re: Emergency Suggestions
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well,since I was in theCoast Guard in both Alaska and the Oregon coast I may be of help.Shipboard weaponry have the following uses;repelling pirates who kill the owners and either plunder,scuttle or use the vessel for drug running,as a line throwing or marine pinniped hunting weapon and finally as a onshore self Defence or hunting weapon.Id check with the U.S. and Canadian Coast Guard on known incidences of piracy.The old H&R firearms company used to sell a splendid Martini actioned harpoon rifle.Id think twice before trying one on a large sea lion though!However with modified projectile heads it is an adequate line throwing unit.If you are shipwrecked in those waters and make it to shore your best bet would be to hunker down,build a fire and hope your emergency beacon is working.Shellfish,birds,seaweed and a plethora of goodies are there for the eating(some shellfish is poisonous seasonally).I consider Bears a minimum threat.Your big danger in those waters is getting rammed by one of the huge oiler or freight cargo vessels! I was almost sunk in Francisco bay in the fog.If I had to choose one firearm(excluding a flare pistol which I hope you have);an old SMLE Enfield would get the nod.It holds ten rounds,has extreme rapid fire capabilities(Germans in WW1 often thought a rifle company was a machinegun),can be loaded in a 210grain big game load,takes abuse and has a ugly finnish for foul weather.Some are being rebuild from parts and some are plain tired.If you have any friends in the hobby pick therir brains for help.In all honesty in those waters Id have a survival suit,state of the art liferaft and my electronics first priority,A firm float plan posted with more than one port of call(and do call,they don't miss you if they don't know about you).<br><br>

#605 - 04/30/01 09:25 PM Re: Emergency Suggestions
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jim,I neglected to ask if your sailboat has a fireaxe aboard.If your sailboat is damaged they are neccessary for clearing debri, such as a shivered mast that can induce capsizing or (god forbid) escaping a capsized boat with blocked hatches.Axes are a fearsome weapon in the close quarters of a ship!We once tried to stop a belligerent boat that had rammed another boater. He ignored our hails until I used the line throwing rifle to punch a big hole in his flying bridge and put my seaman aboard with our ships axe.The guy came lurching through a hatch with a shotgun,slammed the barrel and stock into the bulkhead and got the butt end of the axe poked into his nose! Im assuming you've read Farley Mowat's THE BOAT THAT WOULDN'T FLOAT for inspiration!<br><br>

#606 - 05/02/01 08:45 AM Re: Emergency Suggestions
Greg Offline
newbie member

Loc: Washington State, U.S.A.
A takedown .22 LR like the Taurus model 62 or the Marlin Papoose wouldn't<br>take up that much room and both are available in stainless steel. Remington <br>makes a Marine model of the 870 Pump that would seem ideal if you anticipate <br>any shore excursions and are worried about bears.<br>Have you examined the Ditch Bag that is on this website for ideas?<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.