#300675 - 02/07/22 08:31 PM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Cool! I'll check it out. cool

#300679 - 02/10/22 12:39 AM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I see a picture with a map on it but don't see any way to load maps.

#300681 - 02/10/22 04:16 AM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: Eugene]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
It doesn't have the ability to add maps, just waypoints, tracks and routes. The Inreach Mini works really well linked to a smartphone in airplane mode. The Garmin Explore app is decent, but Gaia GPS and CalTopo are amazing map/navigation apps that I have used with great success along side the Inreach Mini.

#300691 - 02/11/22 11:46 PM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep thinking I might upgrade from my old etrex legend HCx but nothing really looks like an improvement yet.

#300837 - 03/24/22 10:38 PM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
paulr Offline
Addict

That requires a subscription plan? Ouch.

I think we need a tiny JS8call transceiver (js8call.com). That is a weak signal ham radio mode similar to FT8, but you can type any messages you like, instead of having a fixed QSO format. Tiny FT8 tranceiver is here: https://hackaday.com/2021/09/25/the-simplest-ft8-transceiver-youll-ever-build/

Basically it is an Altoids sized tranceiver with around $50 of parts, that can send and receive text messages over transcontinental distances, but at very low speed (like several minutes for a 50 character message). It would use a wire antenna a few feet long or preferably longer. For normal use you need a ham license, but in a real emergency saving people takes priority. I have been playing with this idea for a while, but haven't tried to really pursue it.

You could make the tranceiver even smaller and cheaper, by getting rid of the display and just using a phone as a UI and power source. Of course that means you have to bring a phone.

Edited by paulr (03/24/22 10:40 PM)

#300859 - 03/28/22 01:09 AM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: Eugene]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I keep thinking I might upgrade from my old etrex legend HCx but nothing really looks like an improvement yet.
In this case the improvements include a dedicated SOS function, two way message capabilities, and the ability link to a smart phone. Your etrex has none of these.

The etrex works fine as a simple GPS however.

Edited by AKSAR (03/28/22 01:31 AM)

#300862 - 03/28/22 06:51 AM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: paulr]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: paulr
That requires a subscription plan? Ouch.

The basic subscription plan is quite reasonable. I pay about $12 month, which gives me I think 10 regular messages, with a minor charge if I go over that. And of course SOS ability. It is fairly easy to upgrade the plan, or drop back down to the basic plan as your needs change.

Originally Posted By: paulr
I think we need a tiny JS8call transceiver (js8call.com). That is a weak signal ham radio mode similar to FT8, but you can type any messages you like, instead of having a fixed QSO format. Tiny FT8 tranceiver is here: https://hackaday.com/2021/09/25/the-simplest-ft8-transceiver-youll-ever-build/

Basically it is an Altoids sized tranceiver with around $50 of parts, that can send and receive text messages over transcontinental distances, but at very low speed (like several minutes for a 50 character message). It would use a wire antenna a few feet long or preferably longer. For normal use you need a ham license, but in a real emergency saving people takes priority. I have been playing with this idea for a while, but haven't tried to really pursue it.

You could make the tranceiver even smaller and cheaper, by getting rid of the display and just using a phone as a UI and power source. Of course that means you have to bring a phone.

While this sounds like a fun and interesting project, I don't see it as a viable alternative to an InReach.

1. First, for an emergency device, when you need help, you usually need it right now. That means someone needs to be monitoring JS8call when you send your "help" message. To my knowledge, no rescue agency guards JS8call.

2. You could of course just send out a general "help" message, and yes, likely someone somewhere in the world will receive it. However, you are assuming this random person somewhere in the world will understand your problem, be willing to help, and know who to relay the message to. That's a lot of assumptions.

3. An InReach sends your GPS coordinates imbedded in an SOS (or a routine text message as well). To use the system you propose for emergencies, you would still need to also carry a separate, dedicated GPS (or smart phone). Then you would need to hand type in those coordinates, with the potential for error. Likewise, whatever random person received your JS8call needs to copy those coordinates, and relay them to at the appropriate rescue authority (assuming the random person knows what authority to call). This will likely be done by phone. But then the rescue authority needs to transcribe those coordinates yet again. Speaking from real world SAR experience, almost NOTHING is easier to corrupt in voice communication than a GPS coordinate. (Always get a read back of coordinates!)

4. As noted in #2 your plan increases the number of middlemen in the operation. An InREach SOS goes directly to a rescue coordination center. This outfit responds to SOS messages from all over the world, all the time (not just for InReach, but other devices as well.) When your SOS comes in, the coordinates will pop up on a map, the center folks will check their database of SAR agencies, and relay it on. It has proven to be an effective system, and has achieved a good track record.

5. Then there is the issue of building said device rugged enough to be reliable in field conditions. My InReach, as well as every stand alone GPS I've used has been quite solidly built. Smartphones not so much, although there are a wide variety of protective cases available.

6. With your plan, you need to rig an antenna "a few feet long or preferably longer". Maybe not a big deal for a healthy person, but that could be problematic if you are badly injured. With an InReach, you just remove the safety, and push the button. It will then send an SOS (with GPS coordinates). If you should then pass out from your injuries, the InReach will continue to send an SOS until the batteries die.

Note that I'm a ham (Extra class), and enjoy the hobby. While I don't have much experience with JS8call, I have actually played around with it briefly. Your idea sounds like a fun project. But I don's see myself replacing my InReach Explorer with JS8call anytime soon.

Edited by AKSAR (03/28/22 07:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Added stuff, and fixed typos

#300863 - 03/28/22 08:21 AM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
paulr Offline
Addict

Thanks, and all good points. I personally wouldn't want to pay $12/month unless I was going on a trip or expedition where I felt I might have to rely on the device (everything around here is in cell phone or ham HT range). But if I went on a 1 month expedition and could pay for just that month (or maybe 2 months if the trip overlapped two), that would be ok.

I haven't used JS8call and don't know what its network is like, but even if the present network is insufficient, it might get built out, something like the WSPR network. Basically there would be automated listening stations all over the world, that could accept JS8call messages and forward them to email or SMS text addresses. So you could send daily updates to your friends and that sort of thing (hopefully the ham regs would treat that like using a repeater phone patch). It also shouldn't be any big deal to include a GPS chip in the transceiver, so the message would automatically include coordinates.

WSPR turns out to be quite powerful. Apparently the best known estimate for the MH370 wreckage came from analysis of WSPR signals that had bounced off the plane and been picked up by automated listeners.

I'd have to check into the antenna. Maybe a ferrite loop would be ok. But it is HF after all.

I have not used any of these modes and am not really knowledgeable, but they are very interesting. I reactivated my old callsign (general class) a year or two ago and I have a crappy 2m/440 HT, but that medium is now pretty much dead, so I'm not on the air at all these days. Weak signal digital is the only mode that seems worthwhile to me now (phone calls and email handle everything else), though of course that's just me.

Edited by paulr (03/28/22 08:29 AM)

#300871 - 03/28/22 05:20 PM Re: Garmin inReach Mini 2 [Re: jshannon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They need to sell a prepaid deal with those. Buy a package of minutes/texts like you can with prepaid cell phones now.

My issue is I don't want to have to carry two devices. If I were to add one of these then I'd want to be able to load and display maps like my etrex so I don't have to have it in addition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.