Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299390 - 07/19/21 11:52 PM Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Not including what I have in my medical kit, seven first aid kits, and seven wound care kits, I have one box of twenty-five 4" x 4", one box of 100 3" x 3", and ten ten-count 4" x 4".

Do I need more ten-counts of 4" x 4"?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299396 - 07/20/21 12:41 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
yes

#299397 - 07/20/21 12:48 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Do you mean yes, as it is possible to have too many gauze pads, or do you mean yes, meaning I need more than ten counts of 4" x 4"?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299398 - 07/20/21 01:48 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wolffromwv Offline
Stranger

Hopefully you won't need them, but I would get more gauze pads. Do you have 5x9 trauma pads?

Changing the dressing each day runs through them pretty quick.

#299399 - 07/20/21 02:00 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: wolffromwv]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wolffromwv
Do you have 5x9 trauma pads?

In addition to what I have in my kits, I have a 25 Count box, minus one, of 5" x 9" trauma pads.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299400 - 07/20/21 02:19 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
You need "more" is the best answer.

I've been reflecting on just this sort of thing myself and using my (long ago) experiences as an EMT and showing up at accidents and such it is amazing on how much you can go through in wound supplies in just one incident. I figure what I currently have on hand with all the car kits, personal kit and house kit I would be able to cover only one or two incidents and everything would be used up.

I've been discussing it with a friend who is still in the emergency medical field and I have concluded that I need to stock basic first aid supplies a lot deeper than I have. Right now I will guess you have enough material for one bad incident and then it's all used up. Future re-supply may be hard so having extra on hand is the way to go.

The full box of trauma pads could all get used in one or two incidents if you had to deal with a major bleeding situation with several wounds and/or subjects at the same time. Food for thought...

Edited by pforeman (07/20/21 02:23 PM)

#299423 - 07/22/21 12:53 AM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
As an EMT I can tell you that when someone is bleeding, you can ALWAYS use more gauze pads.

#299425 - 07/22/21 02:07 AM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I just have a few boxes at home, and now I see that's nowhere nearly enough. Alright, so how "deep" do we need to stock our first aid supplies? Please be specific for us non-medical people!

#299431 - 07/22/21 12:55 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A contrary opinion here. I have attended many scenes in outdoor settings, using my EMT training to good advantage. Direct pressure, usually involving one or two gauze pads, worked to stop bleeding. Occasionally we had to resort to IV technology in case of severe blood loss.

One of these situations involved a bystander who walked into the spinning rear rotor of a helicopter, virtually severing his arm near his shoulder.

In any case, you need a balanced first aid kit ready for lots of different situations, so make room for other items.

While sterility is highly desirable and a worthy goal, it is difficult to maintain in an accident setting. If you must, resort to non-sterile items. the goal is to stop the bleeding.

#299434 - 07/22/21 01:52 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I will agree with our Geezer in Chief, hikermor the objective at the time is to stop the bleed. However once that's done how about resupply? I've got 'good enough' on hand in a kit to generally stop the bleed but once that incident is resolved where do I get more?

Having an "adequate" supply is personal and unique to individual situations but I think (due to us always having a supply source) we underestimate what will be needed if we have to work without logistic support and only have what we have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.