Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299412 - 07/20/21 10:31 PM What have you been neglecting?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Here's sort of an accountability thread. So much of our attention is on the gear that sometimes a forum like this feels like a shopping club. Let's talk about stuff like skills, practice, etc. -- things that don't require buying more gear. What have you been neglecting?

Here are some things I've been neglecting:

1. Skills, especially medically related. I took classes like Wilderness First Responder, gunshot wounds, CERT, SARTECH, Red Cross classes for professional rescuers (I'm not a pro rescuer). Because of my career, all of that has become just a distant memory. Now I don't even know what I can do. While my previous location put me within striking range of many such classes, my current location has very little. I'm not sure how to review this stuff and regain my skills. I feel like I could start by going over my old textbooks and notes.

2. Fitness. Again, work pressure. I've started working on it, and I think in a month or two I should be in a much better place. It's a big shock to your body if you're a sedentary office worker and you suddenly have to hike a few miles with a backpack.

3. Maintaining my gear. Recently I had to clean out some corroded batteries and update some expired stuff. (I took this chance to do some hands on testing. It seems many expired things still work perfectly fine.)

Edited by Bingley (07/20/21 11:27 PM)

#299413 - 07/20/21 10:43 PM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
2. Fitness. Again, work pressure. I've started working on it, and I think in a month or two I should be in a much better place. It's a big shock to your body if you're a sedentary office worker and you suddenly have to hike a few miles with a backpack.

When I lived in Dallas, I walked all the time because there's always someplace to go. When I moved to the backroads of northcentral Florida, I stopped walking because every place was too far away to walk.

I did gain weight, but I lost two-thirds of it during the past couple of months, and I'm almost back to normal.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299415 - 07/21/21 01:15 AM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Bingley]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley

1. Skills, especially medically related. I took classes like Wilderness First Responder, gunshot wounds, CERT, SARTECH, Red Cross classes for professional rescuers (I'm not a pro rescuer). Because of my career, all of that has become just a distant memory. Now I don't even know what I can do. While my previous location put me within striking range of many such classes, my current location has very little. I'm not sure how to review this stuff and regain my skills. I feel like I could start by going over my old textbooks and notes.

Depending upon how old those textbooks are, that might not be a good idea. There have been a TON of changes in medical protocols in the past decade, many diametrically opposite what for decades was "settled" treatment. Just saying...
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299416 - 07/21/21 03:45 AM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
When I moved to the backroads of northcentral Florida, I stopped walking because every place was too far away to walk.

Is bicycle a realistic option?

Edited by Herman30 (07/21/21 03:45 AM)

#299418 - 07/21/21 12:25 PM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Herman30]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
A bike is realistic, but how do I carry my EDC bag? And while change can be good, I've been more of a walker than a bike rider.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299419 - 07/21/21 03:16 PM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This very week I’ve started working more on physical fitness. This morning I had the gumption to get up early to exercise before going to work. Let’s see if I can do the same tomorrow laugh.

We’ve been on what I like to refer to as a “deferred maintenance” plan for our house. Specifically we’ve known for some time that we needed to replace the roof and do some other work. Good progress has been made on maintenance this summer, with more projects ahead.

I missed my planned “charge all the things” cycle last weekend but have been working on it this week.

#299474 - 07/24/21 02:55 AM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

How are you guys doing with your fitness plan?

#299499 - 07/26/21 01:54 PM Re: What have you been neglecting? [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Fitness and gardening.
Both important for SHTF situations, but both are gone with the wind.
Many years ago, I was fit and for some reasons it changed.
I was never a good gardener to begin with but I was trying. That "trying" is also gone.

The usual excuses

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.