Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#298362 - 02/16/21 06:25 PM A New Gadget in Town...
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Namely, the SOL Fire lite Fuel Free Lighter (plentiful use of F words).

This is a flashlight/lighter combo that shows considerable promise. It is a combination 100 lumen flashlight coupled with an electronic lighter. A side button operates the light, either high beam, low beam or strobe, activated sequentially, starting with high. On the other end, there is a snug cap, which when opened, exposes the lighter, and automatically switches the side button to activate the lighter. A micro USB port at the lighter end allows recharging of the li-on battery inside.

I could find no info on the battery capacity, but SOL says the light will operate for three hours on the low setting (probably around 50 lumens) or provide 45 lights of 7 seconds duration.

Also included is three feet of thin cordage that functions as both lanyard, if desired, or tinder for fire starting. It is not Paratinder material, but should work about the same.

I have not taken this item to the field, but it looks quite capable. The total unit is just a tad longer than the standard GI waterproof match case and is a bright orange.

https://www.rei.com/product/188703/sol-fire-lite-fuel-free-lighter

I expect this will work nicely with a the wide variety of power bank/lantern/light combinations available. Bottom line - it is a worthwhile addition to field gear and it should prove useful. It would be interesting to see if someone matches the lighter function with a larger battery/power bank and flashlight. Intriguing gadget that should prove useful.

#298363 - 02/16/21 07:05 PM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very interesting!

#298364 - 02/16/21 08:02 PM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

#298367 - 02/16/21 10:12 PM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Thanks for digging that up. Made in China!! Whodda thunk it!

#298369 - 02/16/21 11:54 PM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Yeah, Amazon UK had them in their similar items suggestions under the SOL one.

#298370 - 02/17/21 02:13 AM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: hikermor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

FWIW, seems to me all of these type "lighters" are a solution in search of a problem. Lots of reliable ways to start a fire that don't rely on batteries. Lots of better flashlights.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#298375 - 02/17/21 02:20 PM Re: A New Gadget in Town... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Your point is well taken. There are many ways of igniting a fire. Looking back, most of the really crucial fires i have had to ignite were done with humble kitchen matches. What else do you really need?

These days the cell phone is becoming th "eleventh essential." It is a camera, navigation device, survival manual, timepiece, flashlight, etc. And you can even call for help! This leads to the question of how do I keep my phone juiced up? Long term you want a solar panel, but those are excessively heavy for shorter trips where smaller and lighter power banks make sense.

This lighter integrates into a system where you go into the woods with a supply of electrons to keep you phone and lights functioning. You distribute electrons as circumstances dictate. Sometimes a fire is absolutely crucial; at other times, it is the last thing you need.

The included flashlight is not exceptional, but often you just need light and you are not concerned with beam quality, flood versus throw, etc. The headlamp I would most likely choose is powered by an 14500 battery with an integral micro USB charge port. My power bank can fuel either one, or my phone, as circumstances require. Most of my power banks also provide light as well.

I pay attention to the caver's standard. When underground, carry three independent sources of light. This is not a bad idea when in the open air, as well, especially given the many small, light, and superbly reliable light sources now available.

I will still carry match, lighter. and ferro rod in addition to this SOL gadget and accept the 0.4 ounce weight penalty. it is simply another arrow in the quiver.

If you ever need to come looking for me, just look for the fire. It is bound to be there.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.