Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297828 - 12/21/20 07:21 PM The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
WSJ 12/21/20

Many civilian lives could be saved by using tourniquets.

Robyn Gardner lay bleeding by a river near Sacramento, Calif., her thigh ripped open by a boat’s propeller. A former Army medic happened to be nearby. He applied a tourniquet, which immediately stopped the bleeding and stabilized Gardner. But when the ambulance arrived, the crew removed the tourniquet, because tourniquets weren’t an approved trauma intervention in the jurisdiction. EMTs tried other techniques to control the bleeding, but Gardner died at 38 in 2003.

Tourniquets save lives, but an exaggerated fear of tissue damage led medical authorities to ban them from use on both military and civilian trauma patients. Some 3,400 American lives were lost in Vietnam from failure to use these simple devices.

That realization prompted a four-year review of battlefield trauma care, which led to the development of Tactical Combat Casualty Care, first described in 1996. TCCC recommends tourniquets for life-threatening extremity bleeding until the casualty reaches a surgeon. But most U.S. military units ignored the advice at first and didn’t carry tourniquets into Afghanistan and Iraq.

That changed as casualties mounted. In 2005 the U.S. Special Operations Command and the U.S. Central Command both mandated tourniquet use. Studies since have found hundreds of American lives have been saved on the battlefield with tourniquets and little danger of tissue damage.

Civilian trauma care has always benefited from military wartime experience, but the process can be slow. By 2010 tourniquets were routine in the military but rare outside it. Civilian tourniquet use increased significantly after 2013, when Hartford, Conn., trauma surgeon Lenworth Jacobs convened a group of experts to study ways of saving lives in civilian mass casualty incidents such as the Sandy Hook school shooting. The Hartford Consensus led the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians to endorse tourniquet use by professional first responders.

Yet scores, perhaps hundreds, of first-responder organizations still don’t use tourniquets. EMS systems, fire departments and other such agencies are local and autonomous, making it hard to hold them to national standards.

Civilian studies show that deaths related to extremity hemorrhage increase 600% when prehospital trauma systems don’t use tourniquets. By using recently published, high quality regional data, we estimate that up to 5,300 deaths a year could be prevented throughout the country through the use of these simple devices. Money isn’t an issue: A tourniquet costs less than $30.

Too many Americans bleed to death every year from severe extremity hemorrhage. Every professional first responder needs to have a tourniquet in his medical kit. Nobody should face Robyn Gardner’s fate because first-responder organizations fail to keep up with evolving standards in trauma care.

Dr. Butler, a retired U.S. Navy SEAL captain, is a former command surgeon for U.S. Special Operations Command. Dr. Holcomb, a retired U.S. Army colonel, is a former commander of the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-military-learned-to-stop-the-bleeding-11608499774 [Paywall]

#297829 - 12/21/20 08:00 PM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The need for tourniquets is rare. At least outside of a war zone (or Chicago). When I was an ambulance paramedic, we could use tourniquets if we wanted, but I never had to. I never even considered using one. I was able to stop my patient's bleeding by other methods.

But if you need one, you need one. Doesn't matter if that scenario is rare - you need what you need when you need it.

I carry a tourniquet in my day bag, along with other first aid gear. I do not really expect to ever have to use it, but it's there just in case.

#297830 - 12/21/20 08:31 PM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My experience is similar to Haertig's. Long time volunteer in Mountain Search and Rescue (470+ ops) and career NPS. Never had to use a tourniquet. Bleeding always stopped w/ direct pressure - I don't even specifically recall using a pressure point..

Most of our trauma involved fractures, etc. as the result of falls, also the leading cause of fatalities (often booze was a factor). There were occasions where victims perished before we , or anybody else, could reach them. Exsanguination may have been a cause or contributing factor.

I suspect that battlefield wounds are more likely to require T use, compared to typical civilian environments.

I have added T's to my FAK. At worst, it is yet another bandage. To be most effective, a T should be applied properly and promptly. Either the injured individual or companions is likely to be more helpful than the late arriving rescuer.

#297832 - 12/22/20 12:20 AM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It seems a TQ is a lot like a parachute; you very rarely need one but when you do nothing else will suffice.

#297833 - 12/22/20 02:40 AM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am not a medical professional, but I am a professional firearms instructor. I've been very fortunate to train with some truly knowledgeable and excellent instructors, including medical instructors. Two I have trained with had an Army medical background followed by a large city fire department paramedic background.

As I learned from them and others, the TCCC guidelines are evidence-based and are the gold standard for traumatic wound care, such as one might find on the range during a class or practice.

Learn how to use one, and please carry a TCCC approved tourniquet.

#297848 - 12/22/20 06:50 PM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Stop The Bleed is the American College of Surgeons sponsored course:
https://www.stopthebleed.org/

The website includes links to available training options across the US and elsewhere.

Courses last about 90 min., and are usually free.

If no local training is available, contact your local EMS council, Fire Dept., or hospital to ask about bringing in a course.

Many of the folks on ETS would qualify to attend the 2-3 hour or so training course to become instructors: see the above link for details.

Some of the local folks were gearing up to teach the local university administration and school district teachers/administration/students the Stop The Bleed course and advocate for getting Stop the Bleed trauma wall mount kits placed near every defibrillator in publicly accessible buildings when COVID hit. Plans are hold.

The biggest hospital systems in western Pennsylvania have funded the training of the public school teachers/administration and funded placement of Stop the Bleed Kits in each of the public school buildings to the tune of several million dollars:
https://www.firerescue1.com/community/ar...r9UbJDE9S6xRUj/

I've added a CAT to each of my car kits.

#297849 - 12/22/20 09:15 PM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. MTC

#297850 - 12/22/20 09:26 PM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Stop the bleed is even given in The Netherlands. Did the course 2 years ago. Did cost €100, but honestly the best instructor I had for any first aid course. Didn't do a refresher yet due to Covid. (Did refresh my regular first aid).

#297851 - 12/23/20 01:56 AM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

My outdoors stuff is basically using a chainsaw in my woods. I carry an Israeli bandage in my side by side, and think I may add a tourniquet.

#297852 - 12/23/20 03:02 AM Re: The Military Learned to Stop the Bleeding [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Probably a good idea. Do you use chainsaw chaps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.