Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#297683 - 11/30/20 08:02 PM "survival kit" is a misnomer...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A survival kit heavily depends on what is is to be used for - and who is using it.
A bag packed for a day trip to your local county fair is vastly different from one packed for a week in the Canadian wilderness.
And the weather.
And your level of fitness and skill
And your age ad heath conditions
And your budget...

So there is no one good survival kit. And many options.

#297687 - 11/30/20 11:00 PM Re: "survival kit" is a misnomer... [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think there's still some overlap in kit for almost all circumstances. Many things are useful while at the fair or in the woods: Sunglasses, gloves, a pocketknife, flashlight, a water bottle, trail mix or power bars, etc.

But then most folks don't really think of the fair as a place you need a 'survival kit'. Cash is what you normally need to buy the true necessities for the fair...namely cotton candy and corn dogs! grin

#297688 - 11/30/20 11:40 PM Re: "survival kit" is a misnomer... [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While it is true that a survival kit designed for a lifeboat adrift in mid ocean is not exactly the same that you would prefer for the Arizona desert, there are several basic commonalities, because you never know when you will be faced with a problem.

I think of a good friend and colleague with whom I worked for four seasons in the canyons of Arizona on an archaeological project. We did a fair amount of hiking, rock climbing, and four wheeling. No real problems although h successfully belayed one of the longest leader falls I ever experienced.

I returned the favor when we were presenting the results of our endeavors in a decidedly urban setting, a national archaeo conference held at the Mayflower Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. In mid session, he suffered a grand mal seizure. I was able to render first aid (along with an RN who happened to be there) and rode with him to the ER where I was able to provide background, history, contact his wife, etc.

Survival is fundamentally an attitude and state of mind, helped along with useful preps and worthwhile gadgets.

#297693 - 12/01/20 01:42 PM Re: "survival kit" is a misnomer... [Re: hikermor]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Survival is fundamentally an attitude and state of mind, helped along with useful preps and worthwhile gadgets.

This is the most important mindset and lesson to take from here today. Also training helps too smile

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.