Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#297217 - 10/08/20 10:03 AM Doug's pocket survival pak availability
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted but I do still pop in from time to time.

Phaedrus's thread "Flashback Sunday!" reminded me that I've been wanting to get some more of Doug's pocket survival paks. I've searched for them online but I can't see them in many places. Does anyone know if they have been discontinued?

#297218 - 10/08/20 12:33 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Yeah, looked a few weeks ago and they seemed scarce.

Flashaholics have the regular PSP it seems.

https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/products/adventure-medical-kits-pocket-survival-pak.html

#297220 - 10/08/20 12:47 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Alarming but true, it seems the original PSP is out of stock everywhere in the USA as well.

#297221 - 10/08/20 04:06 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

They discontinued both versions some time ago. The new owners of the company were not interested in discussing any further production, unfortunately. To date, have found nobody who is.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297223 - 10/08/20 06:15 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
They discontinued both versions some time ago. The new owners of the company were not interested in discussing any further production, unfortunately. To date, have found nobody who is.

So are you saying that if we manage to find a source, to purchase now before they run out of stock? laugh

#297224 - 10/08/20 06:33 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That's a shame! It's so hard to find a small kit worth carrying and the PSP was one of the few. I must have five of them!

#297225 - 10/08/20 07:23 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
That's a shame! It's so hard to find a small kit worth carrying and the PSP was one of the few. I must have five of them!

Thanks!
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297226 - 10/08/20 07:24 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Roarmeister]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
[So are you saying that if we manage to find a source, to purchase now before they run out of stock? laugh

Indeed
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297227 - 10/08/20 11:03 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I didn't know the company changed owners but that would explain a lot! My gut feeling is that they've really cheaped out and cut quality across the board over the last couple years. Most of their newer kits use lower quality components than they used to. One example is the sparker wheel- instead of the excellent old Spark-Lite most of the newer kits user a larger, gimmicky looking sparker that's not as well made nor as robust as the old one. Much of their stuff seems to be made to a lower standard/price point. Hopefully this doesn't spread to their HeatSheets blankets! They're one of the few reliably high quality "space" blankets on the market.

#297233 - 10/09/20 02:53 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Lower quality components - a perennial issue with off the shelf kits
But this provides an opportunity to recreate DR's kit using good stuff - we have the specs right before us and the kit can even be customized for specific situations.

For example, I spend significant time on the SoCal Channel Islands. The snare wire in the kit would be of little use there. There are no critters, other than rare and endangered species, besides mice. On the other hand, the table is set at every low tide - an abundance of edibles in every tide pool, plus lots of veggie foods on land. Just personal preference, but I would add a Bic lighter. And so on....

I would have a different kit, and rather different gear in general, for a winter hike in the mountains and hills on the mainland.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.